We're Moving!

Click for more info.

SUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: Hamtun - Kraken H3

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

WPybus
MoT Member

SUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: Hamtun - Kraken H3

Post by WPybus »

After their kickstarter success with the H2 UK based Hamtun are back again with a similar watch as before but after listening to feedback have added a GMT at a tasty looking price point. This watch launches Tuesday April 21st (aka tomorrow) at 16:30 BST on Kickstarter.

These went in seconds, well the early bird pricing did last time!

Classic (3-hand) model with PT5000 movement
Classic (3 hand) model with Swiss SW200-1 movement
GMT model with Swiss automatic movement

PT5000 pricing starts at £239
SW200-1 pricing starts at £329
GMT pricing starts at £449

Plus £25 flat shipping fee

https://hamtun.lpages.co/kraken-h3/

Also a local time web thingy.... https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ ... 630&p1=300

I didn’t bite before but it’s had really good reviews and he got all the watches out o for Kickstarter that’s a result!

Case: 41mm diameter, 47.8mm lug-to-lug, 13.2mm thick. Made from grade-2 titanium with our special scratch-resistant treatment.

Bezel: 120-click uni-directinal bezel with lumed ceramic or titanium insert.

Strap: Ships with an oyster-style bracelet made from grade-2 titanium with our special scratch-resistant treatment. Other straps, including a Horween leather one and an FKM rubber one, will be available as add-ons.

Movement: Choice of an ETA2824-2 style 3-hand movement (SW200-1, STP 1-11, PT5000 etc) or ETA 2893-2 style GMT movement (C125, SW330-1 etc). All high-beat automatics. The movement you get will depend on the price point you pick

Crystal: Sapphire with internal anti-reflective coating.

Colours:
GMT comes in white, black or blue with titanium or ceramic 24 bezels
Classic comes in some of black, stealth, full-lume or orange by default, with a distressed dial, a "bumblebee" look and a patterned (AKA Grand Hamtun 😉) style option as possible stretch goal. All classic versions come with 60m ceramic bezels.

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: PREORDER: Kickstarter: Hamtun - Kraken H3

Post by TheJohnP »

Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention [mention]WPybus[/mention].
Please continue to share any preorders you find interesting.

FYI, I altered the title just to fit with the conventions we've been using for preoders.

I can't say I'm familiar with the PT5000 movement, so found this article with some good info from Caliber Corner.

https://calibercorner.com/hk-precision- ... er-pt5000/

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
WPybus
MoT Member

Post by WPybus »

Thank you [mention]TheJohnP[/mention]

The PT5000 reads like a miracle non Swiss mechanism, but it seems a bit of gamble against the Miyota and Nh that are commonly found; mind you he apparently nailed it with his last watch so I’m not going to doubt him.

From watch gecko website; (they also use it!!)

The PT5000 is a relatively new movement brought out by Chinese movement manufacturers H.K. Precision Technology. It is a mechanical movement with automatic and hand-winding capabilities, which beats away at an impressive 28,800 VPH to provide a buttery smooth sweep to the seconds hand. The movement has 25 jewels and is 25.6mm in diameter / 4.6mm in height. The size of the movement means that it is very versatile as it is small enough and thin enough to fit in a variety of watch cases.

This specification may seem familiar to you as it is the same specification as the popular ETA 2824-2 movement as well as the Sellita SW200 (Minus a jewel). This is because just like the Sellita this is a clone of the ETA 2824 design.

In a bid to challenge the perception of Chinese made movements being unreliable and inaccurate, HKPT brought their highest grade of PT5000 to Glashutte in Germany to have it's accuracy reviewed by the Chronometer Observatory (They couldn't get this done at COSC; the worlds best-known accuracy certificate system, as they only test Swiss movements).

"According to the China Horologe Association, the standard set by the Chronometer Observatory at Glashutte is the world's most rigid.

The observatory has seven testing categories, and only allows a mechanical watch a deviation ranging from minus 3.8 seconds to plus 5.8 seconds within a day"

This movement then went on to be China's first-ever watch movement to reach chronometer certification, which you can read more about this here.

My personal opinion would be to go with the SW200-1, but then again most of my watches seem to have that mechanism and hardly miss a beat, I still wouldn’t hand wind them but that’s a different issue altogether!!
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Campaign is LIVE!

The first 50 Launch Day specials for the Classic Standard and GMT editions have both SOLD OUT.

Link above and below:

Click Icon To Contact Me

WPybus
MoT Member

Post by WPybus »

Ah the irony of trying to get a deal for something that keeps impeccable time but you are always late for it..... see Christopher Ward ‘flash sale’ also....! I don’t know whether I’m too old for this but I like to take my time over getting a deal and choosing my new watch....

Out of anger I pledged for the Starfish Originally $199 and I don’t think he will get the cash he needs... I smell a bargain!!
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

WPybus wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:23 am Ah the irony of trying to get a deal for something that keeps impeccable time but you are always late for it..... see Christopher Ward ‘flash sale’ also....! I don’t know whether I’m too old for this but I like to take my time over getting a deal and choosing my new watch....
This one was extremely anticipated by a wider audience so the early bird deals sold out within seconds (you'd have to be waiting and refreshing links). For me, the H3 is pretty "meh" based on their uninspired design, especially considering the H2 was delivered a few months ago to backers.

There will be better deals, although CW deals are pretty snazzy and those are near-unbeatable.
aeroman5
MoT Member

Post by aeroman5 »

Nsjong wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:59 pm
WPybus wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:23 am Ah the irony of trying to get a deal for something that keeps impeccable time but you are always late for it..... see Christopher Ward ‘flash sale’ also....! I don’t know whether I’m too old for this but I like to take my time over getting a deal and choosing my new watch....
This one was extremely anticipated by a wider audience so the early bird deals sold out within seconds (you'd have to be waiting and refreshing links). For me, the H3 is pretty "meh" based on their uninspired design, especially considering the H2 was delivered a few months ago to backers.

There will be better deals, although CW deals are pretty snazzy and those are near-unbeatable.
I managed to get the launch day price on the GMT. I regretted not getting the H2. If the classic 3 hander had a 12 hour Titanium bezel I would have backed that.

Although if I can get my hands on a Christopher Ward GMT on their daily specials, I might change my mind.
WPybus
MoT Member

Post by WPybus »

Yeh I hear you [mention]aeroman5[/mention] on the Christopher ward GMT but under the current lockdown and the fact I already have 3 CW watches means I’m sitting that flash sale out; when July comes I’m in for one of the military chronometers and until then I’m saving the pennies!! (Current CW’s C80 flyer auto. Trident 600 vintage and C65!!!)

Back to the Hamtun I’m just so surprised it went so quickly- the new model, apart from the gmt, is not very different to the last one!! It’s a lot of watch for the money but in an already saturated marketplace....!?
aeroman5
MoT Member

Post by aeroman5 »

I'm now questioning my backing of this. I mentioned backing the GMT in a Facebook group and someone PM'd me warning me against it. I knew of the delays and lack of communication from the H2 campaign but he has made it sound worse and has had very poor customer service.
Whoa

Post by Whoa »

I'm loving my H3, yes coms, weren't up to standards, some folks got watches very late, but honestly it's a great watch, he had some sheer unlucky things happen to him during this campaign, and got Swarmed with orders!

So he delivered, it took time.. But that's to be expected.. If you like the design.. Keep your pre order! It's an awesome watch!

Sendt fra min SM-G960F med Tapatalk

fillerbunny
MoT Member

Post by fillerbunny »

aeroman5 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:04 am I'm now questioning my backing of this. I mentioned backing the GMT in a Facebook group and someone PM'd me warning me against it. I knew of the delays and lack of communication from the H2 campaign but he has made it sound worse and has had very poor customer service.
I wonder if it's the guy from The Other Forum who was among the first to receive their H2 but who still keeps ranting about how terribly run the project was.

The problem mostly was that the project unexpectedly blew up and Ross ended up making five times the number of watches than his previous models. He also gave too many options and made parts that hadn't been prototyped. On top of that with emphasis being on the price, there was no system for sending out tracking info. It ended up being a bit much for one guy.

This time around the shipping's more expensive, there are few options and most of the watch has been done before, so I imagine things will go smoother.

I only received my H2 last week – with the wrong bezel :roll: – but I love this thing. It should be even better once the ceramic insert bezel arrives.

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

fillerbunny wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:59 pm
I wonder if it's the guy from The Other Forum who was among the first to receive their H2 but who still keeps ranting about how terribly run the project was.

FYI, you can say WUS or Watchuseek here. Even link out to relevant threads there if it makes sense.

Just don't try to do the opposite. This place is verboten on WUS.
Click Icon To Contact Me

fillerbunny
MoT Member

Post by fillerbunny »

TheJohnP wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:55 pm FYI, you can say WUS or Watchuseek here. Even link out to relevant threads there if it makes sense.
Yeah, I know, but it feels kinda dirty. And not in a good way.
aeroman5
MoT Member

Post by aeroman5 »

fillerbunny wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:59 pm
aeroman5 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:04 am I'm now questioning my backing of this. I mentioned backing the GMT in a Facebook group and someone PM'd me warning me against it. I knew of the delays and lack of communication from the H2 campaign but he has made it sound worse and has had very poor customer service.

The problem mostly was that the project unexpectedly blew up and Ross ended up making five times the number of watches than his previous models. He also gave too many options and made parts that hadn't been prototyped. On top of that with emphasis being on the price, there was no system for sending out tracking info. It ended up being a bit much for one guy.

This time around the shipping's more expensive, there are few options and most of the watch has been done before, so I imagine things will go smoother.

I only received my H2 last week – with the wrong bezel :roll: – but I love this thing. It should be even better once the ceramic insert bezel arrives.

I missed out on the H2 and your 'wrong' watch is exactly the one I want. The ones being sold on eBay and others are way more than the Kickstarter price so I'm going to stick with the GMT.

Thanks for the feedback.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: SUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: Hamtun - Kraken H3

Post by TheJohnP »

To follow up, this Kickstarter campaign was:

SUCCESSFUL

482 backers pledged £191,668 to help bring this project to life.
Click Icon To Contact Me