We're Moving!

Click for more info.

MOT Forum watch????

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Re: MOT Forum watch????

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Well it is Man on Time

So, any idea how feasible it would be to throw in a High Accuracy Quartz movement? There's more than just the 9F out there but not sure on availability.
https://wornandwound.com/guide-to-high- ... q-watches/

How about the Bulova Precisionist?
https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/g ... ionist.htm
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Spirit of the Watch wrote:Well it is Man on Time

So, any idea how feasible it would be to throw in a High Accuracy Quartz movement? There's more than just the 9F out there but not sure on availability.

Not sure where you would source one of these movements. Is it something microbrands have been doing? I checked a couple parts houses and came up empty.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:16 pm
Spirit of the Watch wrote:Well it is Man on Time

Not sure where you would source one of these movements. Is it something microbrands have been doing? I checked a couple parts houses and came up empty.
Yeah, after digging around I came up empty as well.

I suppose we could do regular quartz for the sake of cost or another nh36 etc.

Would have been fun to do something unique though.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:22 pm Well it is Man on Time

I think having a HAQ movement certainly lends a certain level of uniqueness to the project! Plus the "Man on time" association haha
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

If this goes forward, and as far as design goes, I'd prefer to K.I.S.S. as much as possible.

That doesn't mean the movement couldn't be a little more "exotic", however.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

An ETA PreciDrive HAQ can be sourced for $55.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tinpusher
MoT Member

Post by tinpusher »

I'm intrigued by the HAQ. Could be an interesting
Slant
MoT Member

Post by Slant »

Slant wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:02 pm
uaconcorde wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:20 pm San Martin can do it im sure, they currently customize logo printing for you....

I think with enough volume they can do a complete customization
I was thinking San Martin as well since they are quite affordable and people seem to praise their bang-for-buck and quality control.

For instance, their bronze 6105 homage goes for $225 USD with their own logo or no logo. Custom logo is only another $20 which makes $245 USD per watch before any type of volume discount, if any. This one has workhorse Japanese Seiko NH35 movement.

Someone with design talent comes up with a nice logo and nice font and we're good to go. Maybe even the masked logo that someone suggested could work as a reminder of the timing of the forum project - simple uncomplicated design always works.

Here are pics of the watch I'm talking about:

I reached out to San Martin and asked about custom logo and text for the above watch and this is what they came back with if we can get 50 people:

"Thanks for contacting us and wish you all the best!

If you take 50 Pcs of the SN047-Q 6105 bronze, we can offer you them at $170.00/Piece, and for custom logo cost, since we don't what kind of logo do you want to put on them, we don't have a accurate cost for that, but I think $60.00 will do, for all 50pcs.

And yes, you can change both the logo under 12 and texts above 6, cost is already included in that $60.00.

Please feel free to let us know more details about the logo and texts(logo in JPG, PDF or AI format, and please offer the font name for texts if you have a preferred font, also we have white, yellow, red, black and golden color paints), so we can carry out a design drawing for you to check, thanks!"

I forgot to ask about shipping and strap options so I just sent off another email to them. Another "keep it simple, stupid" option to think about.

Edit: Just heard back from the gentleman at SM with more info re straps and shipping (got the OK from him to post his entire email responses).

"Yes, as long as the logo is not too complex, it's about $172.00 for each with custom logo, and strap style doesn't matter, you can have 25 with leather strap, 25 with rubber strap or other combination you preferred, no problem.

I was thinking about sending these 50 pcs to one address, that will be about $300 I think, no one can be 100% sure as DHL is changing their delivery cost basically every week, but if you want to delivery each of them to 50 different address, that will be quite a lot cost, these days deliver to US and Canada is about $25.00-$28.00 for each package, in total it's nearly $1300.00, please note, thanks!

Looking forward to hearing your design and carry out the design for you."

So looks like $200 USD all-in is doable, well, before each of our government takes their cut in potential taxes and duty.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I have no problem with, and appreciate people reaching out for information, but in the future please include me in the discussions. My contact info is easy to find.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TayTay
MoT Member

Post by TayTay »

Slant wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:40 pm
Slant wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:02 pm
uaconcorde wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:20 pm San Martin can do it im sure, they currently customize logo printing for you....

I think with enough volume they can do a complete customization
I was thinking San Martin as well since they are quite affordable and people seem to praise their bang-for-buck and quality control.

For instance, their bronze 6105 homage goes for $225 USD with their own logo or no logo. Custom logo is only another $20 which makes $245 USD per watch before any type of volume discount, if any. This one has workhorse Japanese Seiko NH35 movement.

Someone with design talent comes up with a nice logo and nice font and we're good to go. Maybe even the masked logo that someone suggested could work as a reminder of the timing of the forum project - simple uncomplicated design always works.

Here are pics of the watch I'm talking about:

I reached out to San Martin and asked about custom logo and text for the above watch and this is what they came back with if we can get 50 people:

"Thanks for contacting us and wish you all the best!

If you take 50 Pcs of the SN047-Q 6105 bronze, we can offer you them at $170.00/Piece, and for custom logo cost, since we don't what kind of logo do you want to put on them, we don't have a accurate cost for that, but I think $60.00 will do, for all 50pcs.

And yes, you can change both the logo under 12 and texts above 6, cost is already included in that $60.00.

Please feel free to let us know more details about the logo and texts(logo in JPG, PDF or AI format, and please offer the font name for texts if you have a preferred font, also we have white, yellow, red, black and golden color paints), so we can carry out a design drawing for you to check, thanks!"

I forgot to ask about shipping and strap options so I just sent off another email to them. Another "keep it simple, stupid" option to think about.

Edit: Just heard back from the gentleman at SM with more info re straps and shipping (got the OK from him to post his entire email responses).

"Yes, as long as the logo is not too complex, it's about $172.00 for each with custom logo, and strap style doesn't matter, you can have 25 with leather strap, 25 with rubber strap or other combination you preferred, no problem.

I was thinking about sending these 50 pcs to one address, that will be about $300 I think, no one can be 100% sure as DHL is changing their delivery cost basically every week, but if you want to delivery each of them to 50 different address, that will be quite a lot cost, these days deliver to US and Canada is about $25.00-$28.00 for each package, in total it's nearly $1300.00, please note, thanks!

Looking forward to hearing your design and carry out the design for you."

So looks like $200 USD all-in is doable, well, before each of our government takes their cut in potential taxes and duty.
I was riding the AliExpress train recently and got the feeling "Steeldive" was offering some really solid value watches these days. If a group of people decided to get a custom logo on existing watch template, similar to what is explained above, I think Steeldive would be worth looking at as well. Although, I admit having zero experience with custom watch ordering or project watches, so I could be completely wrong too.

BTW, I also had an idea to throw out there about having MOT's forum branding/logos etc on the watch. If it became too difficult to settle on a "forum" watch for any reason, maybe it would somehow be simpler to have a different type of custom "branding" instead. For example WUS has that group that gets the BSH dials made. Maybe it would be cool for MOT forum to have it's own spin on the BSH project watches? What I mean is, a non-MOT watch, but created by a group of MOT members. Strictly as a (quickly thought up and likely bad) example, it could be the "Custom Watch Group" aka CWG.
Techme
MoT Member

Post by Techme »

+1 for San Martin. By the way, San Martin, Proxima, Steel Dive are all from the same factory. I am not 100% sure if Sharkey is the same factory, but likely. I have a San Martin 62MAS homage and the quality to price ratio is exceptional. I also bought my father a San Martin pilot watch that is his driver driver. He is very happy with the quality and so am I.

The AliExpress thread on WUS is awash with the above mentioned brands at the moment and the reviews have been very positive. Quite a few people have optioned for the custom dial too. The custom dial option seems quite fast and looks good too.

I look forward to further progress on a forum watch.