We're Moving!

Click for more info.

MoT Forum Watch: Cincinnati Watch Co or Others

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

Should MoT take Cincinnati Watch Company's offer to help create a forum watch?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Yes, based on the new Cincinnatus!
77%
Yes, based on the Pilot (only limited amount available)!
11%
Yes, but it should be bespoke even though it would be significantly more expensive!
5%
No! I'd rather see it produced by... (Leave comment in thread.)
7%

Total votes: 88
MoT
Site Admin

Re: MoT Forum Watch: Cincinnati Watch Co or Others

Post by MoT »

Rearranging the dial layout or creating a custom dial is going to require a MOQ of 100 and certainly drive up the cost in the process. Even more so if we can't get enough commitments to cover the MOQ.

I also feel that we need to slow down a little and think about what we really want.

If we want something fully custom, I don't believe this is the project for that. If anything I view this as a "collaboration" with [mention]CincinnatiWatchCo[/mention], a watch with some MoT touches such as new hour/minute hands and MoT branding on the case back. Think of it as CWC x MoT, for example.

In the future, I could work with someone (CWC or whomever) towards a fully custom or rebranded watch for the forum.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
skylinegtr_34
MoT Member

Post by skylinegtr_34 »

Make all numerals the same size, cathedral hands, dark green dial, loose pm gold small numerals, make the inner circle of the minute track touch the smaller triangles. I messed up voting but I would be in for one :)
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

skylinegtr_34 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:26 pm Make all numerals the same size, cathedral hands, dark green dial, loose pm gold small numerals, make the inner circle of the minute track touch the smaller triangles. I messed up voting but I would be in for one :)
Would you be in for one if it potentially drove the price above $400?

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:22 pm Rearranging the dial layout or creating a custom dial is going to require a MOQ of 100 and certainly drive up the cost in the process. Even more so if we can't get enough commitments to cover the MOQ.

I also feel that we need to slow down a little and think about what we really want.

If we want something fully custom, I don't believe this is the project for that. If anything I view this as a "collaboration" with @CincinnatiWatchCo, a watch with some MoT touches such as new hour/minute hands and MoT branding on the case back. Think of it as CWC x MoT, for example.

In the future, I could work with someone (CWC or whomever) towards a fully custom or rebranded watch for the forum.
I think you're correct. simple is better for a 1st time forum project

Maybe CWC can tell us what could be customized with a 50 MOQ. That will probbaly tell us the boundaries of what we could customize. Maybe cathedral hands are out of the question? Who knows.....CWC can provide that guidance. Same iwth dial customization, logo, engraved case back....... what are our options that we can kick around?
-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

CincinnatiWatchCo wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:41 pm Hello everyone! We have options in terms of altering this watch. I want everyone to keep in mind we have changes in store for the upcoming re-release of this watch, the case will be the same, but the movement is changing to the NH38. The NH71 took over a year to be produced, just too long of a wait... The new version will have a closed caseback as the NH38 is not quite as pretty to look at as the NH71. (Still a no-date movement, no "ghost" date position) We also have some other "surprises" in store that I cannot talk about just yet.

Some more things to consider:

1. Making a new dial is a option, but keep in mind I already have molds in place for the current dial. If we want a all new dial we will have to have samples produced and would make the delivery later than the production pre-order. (If we want this we better get going on the dial design right away)

2. I have read interest in cathedral hands, we could easily change out the current hands Hour/Minute for cathedral. (This would be a easy change, we can leave the second hand as is or move to another model)

3. Since the new caseback will be solid steel a special engraving could be added for the MoT edition caseback. (This would be very easy, especially if all else stayed the same with the watch)
Anyone good at Photoshop lets see the Cincy with cathedral hands?
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

^So, cathedral hands and a special case back w/ the potential to engrave individual usernames?

I saw a member say they'd only be in for under $200. Still, a photoshop pick and a guesstimate with prices (up front 50% and 50% before shipping... firm believer partial upfront payments are needed) would probably cover what we need to get rough numbers of participants.

Right now, it's all over the place.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:Rearranging the dial layout or creating a custom dial is going to require a MOQ of 100 and certainly drive up the cost in the process. Even more so if we can't get enough commitments to cover the MOQ.

If we want something fully custom, I don't believe this is the project for that. If anything I view this as a "collaboration" with [mention]CincinnatiWatchCo[/mention], a watch with some MoT touches such as new hour/minute hands and MoT branding on the case back. Think of it as CWC x MoT, for example.

I am totally cool with it being this sort of collaboration. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

At some point we will hit the numbers needed to do something more customized, but we have to reach the tipping point of the MOQ.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:22 pm Rearranging the dial layout or creating a custom dial is going to require a MOQ of 100 and certainly drive up the cost in the process. Even more so if we can't get enough commitments to cover the MOQ.

If we want something fully custom, I don't believe this is the project for that. If anything I view this as a "collaboration" with @CincinnatiWatchCo, a watch with some MoT touches such as new hour/minute hands and MoT branding on the case back. Think of it as CWC x MoT, for example.

CWC x MOT was exactly what I had in mind when I suggested a custom case back only. Definitely my preference is to only customize the caseback, but I won't be upset at all if we get cathedral hands.
CincinnatiWatchCo
Brand Rep

Post by CincinnatiWatchCo »

To clear some things up:

1. We can do a fully custom project and to meet minimum orders we would need at least 125-150 people commiting to the project just to barely break even, or have a above market price attached to each piece.

2. Cathedral hands I think will be an easy add. I will have to confirm but I want to wait on consensus before I start putting my supply chain to work. I don't think this would increase the cost.

3. I can do a custom caseback engraving without driving the price up much or at all. What gets complicated or would potentially be a price hike is individual numberings or markings. If they are all the same, no problem. I.E. We can put a logo and "Special Edition 1 of 50" or however many it ends up being, but putting each users handle on the watch would certainly be an expensive add.

4. For point 2 and 3 above if the costs are not too overboard I would likely absorb them, and make the watch equal in price to my normal pre-order offering price or maybe even better depending upon how many are interested. One thing that will happen is a portion of the sale of these Cincinnatus Field Watches will go to the FreeStore Foodbank. This is a commitment I made to them for this watch and I intend to honor it.

5. Once some consensus is made I will provide nice renderings.

6. Before anybody makes up your minds you need to see the changes we have already made, I promise, you'll like them... I hope to reveal them this month, will know more soon. I have ideas for customization within the groups own customizations, you'll have more choices then just the hands and caseback.

-Rick
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

CincinnatiWatchCo wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:39 pm To clear some things up:

1. We can do a fully custom project and to meet minimum orders we would need at least 125-150 people commiting to the project just to barely break even, or have a above market price attached to each piece.

2. Cathedral hands I think will be an easy add. I will have to confirm but I want to wait on consensus before I start putting my supply chain to work. I don't think this would increase the cost.

3. I can do a custom caseback engraving without driving the price up much or at all. What gets complicated or would potentially be a price hike is individual numberings or markings. If they are all the same, no problem. I.E. We can put a logo and "Special Edition 1 of 50" or however many it ends up being, but putting each users handle on the watch would certainly be an expensive add.

4. For point 2 and 3 above if the costs are not too overboard I would likely absorb them, and make the watch equal in price to my normal pre-order offering price or maybe even better depending upon how many are interested. One thing that will happen is a portion of the sale of these Cincinnatus Field Watches will go to the FreeStore Foodbank. This is a commitment I made to them for this watch and I intend to honor it.

6. Before anybody makes up your minds you need to see the changes we have already made, I promise, you'll like them... I hope to reveal them this month, will know more soon. I have ideas for customization within the groups own customizations, you'll have more choices then just the hands and caseback.

-Rick
I intend for you to honor it as well. Community service is something I would never deny anyone.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

CincinnatiWatchCo
Brand Rep

Post by CincinnatiWatchCo »

P.S. I am really interested in seeing what this watch would look like with Cathedral hands myself! (Gold of course)
biglovetravis
MoT Member

Post by biglovetravis »

Would.like to see us recruit HKEd to do this one for us.
"When things are at their darkest, pal, it's a brave man that can kick back and party." - Lt. Tuck Pendleton, Innerspace
uaconcorde
MoT Member

Post by uaconcorde »

CincinnatiWatchCo wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:39 pm To clear some things up:

-Rick
I think this is a very encouraging post, thanks Rick. Can't wait to you reveal the new edition. Best of luck!
Rixsler86
MoT Member

Post by Rixsler86 »

Really, really like the pilot from CWC. The handwind movement inside I feel puts this on a whole other level.
I always wanted one of the CWC pilots but was always stopped by what I felt was a busy dial. If he can trim some of that with a subtle nod to the forum on the dial or something more substantial on the case back, I’d be all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nikon Z6

Tudor Black Bay Steel
Longines Hydroconquest GMT
Breitling Chronomat
Alpina Alpiner Extreme
Bulova x Complecto Jet Star
Brew Retromatic Copper
Fossil Mickey Mouse
Ernest Borel Athletic
Casio GWB5600AR-1
G-Shock DW5040PG
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Post by Perdendosi »

CincinnatiWatchCo wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 pm P.S. I am really interested in seeing what this watch would look like with Cathedral hands myself! (Gold of course)
Well, who knows what the newest version of the watch will look like, but here's some (pretty messy) photoshopping of the old dial.
Interestingly, the old version's hour and seconds hands are pretty close to standard cathedral hands. I didn't replace the seconds hand, and got the cathedral hand examples from here:
https://www.namokimods.com/products/wat ... bd79&_ss=r
CinCyMOT.jpg
(I took off the name of the watch and added "Ltd. Ed. 2020" for fun. I know that we probably can't mod the dial, but since it sounds like there will be some changes to the watch anyway, I figured why not...)
- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV