We're Moving!

Click for more info.

SUCCESSFUL Brand Direct: Hamtun H2

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

Bolster
MoT Member

SUCCESSFUL Brand Direct: Hamtun H2

Post by Bolster »

[Moved from the main Deals thread]

We don't have a separate pre-orders thread, do we? Apologies if I missed it. Hamtun announced they will launch their H2 in early March, and I recollect their pre-order prices were considered a good deal. So you might want to keep an eye out, if an affordable titanium dive watch is interesting to you. Maybe someone can recall what their preorder price was for the H1? I think 190 pounds sterling? Then the price went up to 279 pounds. Hamtun has been hinting that their H2 preorder prices will be similar...dunno, we'll see. Here's a yellow one:

I'm waiting to hear how thick they are. If it's 12mm or thicker, I'm out of the game. That chapter ring looks pretty deep, so I'm guessing >12mm.

[EDIT] Prototype is 13.9mm, they are trying to reduce it to 13.5mm for production. I'm out. (tears)

[EDIT AGAIN] Did I forget a link? Like an idiot? Here:
https://hamtun.co/blogs/news/this-is-th ... dive-watch
Unrepentant Quartzer
mrb12186
MoT Member

Re: Preorder: Hamtun H2

Post by mrb12186 »

Anybody have experience with this brand? I have had my eye on this one since I don’t have a white/light dial diver in the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsteph12
MoT Member

Post by tsteph12 »

I have no experience with the brand, but the white dial version looks great and may “need” to purchase. Thanks for posting.
Bolster
MoT Member

Post by Bolster »

mrb12186 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:24 pm Anybody have experience with this brand? I have had my eye on this one since I don’t have a white/light dial diver in the collection.
I've a friend at WUS, goes by Tycho Brahe, who owns the H1 and likes it quite a bit, IIRC. Supposed to be one of the "bang for the buck leaders" amongst the micro brands.

Personally, I just like titanium watches; don't care if they scratch or not, the light weight is worth it IMO.
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unrepentant Quartzer
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

No experience with these, but they do look dangerously interesting.
Last edited by watchpalooza on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
gormless
MoT Member

Post by gormless »

I had the blue H1 and it was a probably the most bang for buck I had ever paid for a watch. It was a solidly built, light watch. A few gripes I had, that could be easily overlooked given the price, were the weak lume, and the bracelet. They have since changed from screws to pin and collar (I believe), so that has alleviated the problem so what.

I actually lost one of the screws from the bracelet because I didn't loctite them. It was a pain to resize too.

I'm happy to know lume has been improved and scratch resistance added. Definitely watching out for the pre order price. Not totally convinced by the handset yet though.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Bolster
MoT Member

Post by Bolster »

Regards the scratch resistance, Ross at Hamtun sent this email (edited for size):

Ever since we announced the H2, people have been asking for more details on the Tough Titanium we're using. What do we actually mean by scratch-resistant watches? ... We apply a tiny coating to the outside of the watch. At about 3.0 microns thick, it's basically invisible. Once the coating is applied, the hardness rating of the outside of the watch goes up from about 145HV (the hardness rating of standard titanium) to 900-1100HV.

[for comparison]

145HV - “Regular” grade-2 titanium
225HV - Stainless steel
350HV - “High” grade-5 titanium
680HV - Corning Gorilla Glass 6
900-1100HV - Hamtun's Tough Titanium
2000HV - Sapphire crystal
Unrepentant Quartzer
mrb12186
MoT Member

Post by mrb12186 »

Thanks Bolster for the info. It’s interesting that they can achieve 3x the hardness of grade 5 with just a coating. Certainly does seem like a lot of bang for the buck.

Bolster
MoT Member

Post by Bolster »

I think of it like case hardening or anodizing, both of which do the same: add a hard skin over softer material.

Unrepentant Quartzer
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I am debating on buying one of them when they release on kickstarter. It's just an overall really clean design, especially the date window. And I barely own any white dial watches.

Prices start at 199 Sterling for the NH35 and 299 for the SW200.

Here is the unofficial kickstarter page Ross Davis posted today (if the link does not work then I have no idea why):

Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
ShoreFire77
MoT Member

Post by ShoreFire77 »

Here's the link for the Kickstarter project page (preview) for those interested:

http://t.dripemail2.com/c/eyJhY2NvdW50X ... anByM3MifQ
drewdoog
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by drewdoog »

I am confused on the FB Microbrand watch page. They say they are available for pre-order on the 5th, however, they also said they sell out quickly. How can they sell out quickly if they are pre-order?
mrb12186
MoT Member

Post by mrb12186 »

drewdoog wrote:I am confused on the FB Microbrand watch page. They say they are available for pre-order on the 5th, however, they also said they sell out quickly. How can they sell out quickly if they are pre-order?
I believe they’re referring to the 50 available at the early bird price. Not sure though if that’s 50 total or per color.

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

For those not in the Facebook group, here is a render with the titanium 12 hour bezel. The render with it on the white dial is a Photoshop from someone on Facebook, I think it is missing the black indices borders. It will be a stretch goal on Kickstarter as well as a meteorite dial option. Also added some other renders from Facebook.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... 003e20.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... 57b813.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... 06adb3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... 49e0a8.jpg[/IMG]
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

The legibility on that meteorite dial render looks pretty bad.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find