SUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: A.F.0210. Strap - Heritage 6B/2617 straps

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

SUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: A.F.0210. Strap - Heritage 6B/2617 straps

Post by TheJohnP »

A.F.0210. Strap out of Australia have launched their first Kickstarter for a faithful reproduction of the 6B/6217, the first nylon NATO strap.
Note that they tried to raise funds for a watch through Indiegogo that was unsuccessful. But they do sell their reproduction straps via their website and supplied the straps for the recent Timor Kickstarter campaign.

Early Bird pricing is around $34
Kickstarter pricing is around $41
Regular price will be about $55

Two strap pricing is around $63

Estimated delivery is November 2020

The reward for this campaign will be a faithful copy of the 6B/2617 strap. The strap is virtually identical to the original RAF design, with the 8 ribbed nylon strap 16mm wide and 270mm long, embossed 6B/2617 under the buckle.

(The JLC 6B/346 is obviously not included)

For this campaign we have worked with these suppliers to develop a prototype strap, based on an original 6B/2617 strap that we were able to source earlier this year. We have reproduced the ribbon (which was originally made on a narrow width shuttle loom, now generally considered obsolete), and the stainless steel buckle. The strap colour is Pantone 403C, matched to an unfaded section of the original strap.

We have made some slight changes to the original RAF design, but have kept the appearance of the key element, the 8 ribbed nylon strap, with 2 outer ribs each 2.6mm wide and 6 inner ribs each 1.8mm wide, totalling 16mm wide.

The original strap was quite thin, and was distorted where the heat welding was carried out at the hardware locations. This proved to be impossible to prevent with a thin strap, so we have increased the thickness to 1.3mm. Heat welding has been used with no distortion. The straps have been heat welded to the same dimensions as the original. The strap width is 16mm or 5/8", and the length 270mm.

The buckles have been copied in stainless steel, and embossed "6B/2617" on the underside as shown below. The original was embossed "STAINLESS STEEL".
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: PREORDER: Kickstarter: A.F.0210. Strap - Heritage 6B/2617 straps

Post by Boourns »

Cool I guess if you have a 16mm lug watch, but that seems like a small minority of people.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Boourns wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:56 pm Cool I guess if you have a 16mm lug watch, but that seems like a small minority of people.
I think if you have the vintage watch already, you'd be in the market for the vintage style strap.
Smaller audience, but I assume there is one.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:28 pm
Boourns wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:56 pm Cool I guess if you have a 16mm lug watch, but that seems like a small minority of people.
I think if you have the vintage watch already, you'd be in the market for the vintage style strap.
Smaller audience, but I assume there is one.
I'm sure the owner of that JLC pictured would be in, but it seems like they are leaving a ton on the table by staying true to the original width only. I think that would look pretty sweet as a 22mm on my C65, for instance.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: SUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: A.F.0210. Strap - Heritage 6B/2617 straps

Post by TheJohnP »

To follow up, this Kickstarter campaign was:

SUCCESSFUL

92 backers pledged AU$ 7,497 to help bring this project to life.
Click Icon To Contact Me