We're Moving!

Click for more info.

UNSUCCESSFUL: Kickstarter: Arcadia Watches - G1.0 Field Watch (Graphene coated case)

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

UNSUCCESSFUL: Kickstarter: Arcadia Watches - G1.0 Field Watch (Graphene coated case)

Post by TheJohnP »

This one sounds like a good option for someone looking for a good beater.

Arcadia Watches is coming out with their G1.0 field watch which is the world's first to offer a graphene coated case.
[img][/img]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gr ... -field-wat

There are no early bird levels, but if you join the Kickstarter, you'll get the graphene version of the field watch for $199. Retail will be $349.
If graphene isn't for you, the stainless steel version is $129 with Kickstarter pricing, going up to $189 for retail.

Arcadia is using “DuraPhene," aproprietary graphene coating, that is fused to the case (inside and out) offering the ultimate case protection.
For those of you, like myself, who are unfamiliar with graphene, here's the skinny from their copy:

In 2010, two researchers from the University of Manchester were awarded the Noble Prize for the graphene discovery. Basically, it is an allotrope of carbon and two dimensional. Here are just a few of its remarkable attributes:

* 200X stronger than steel
* Harder than diamond
* Enhanced corrosion resistance
* Anti-microbial

However, this amazing material is also expensive…around $100/gram. But it provides uber watch protection and, well…it’s just cool. The important thing is that we are now able to offer the Arcadia Field Watch with one of the planet’s strongest materials fused to the watch case. So now, you just might have a watch that is beyond durable and can hold up to Superman!

Here are the specs on both case versions:

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Last edited by TheJohnP on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
cel4145
MoT Member

Re: Preorder: Kickstarter: Arcadia Watches - G1.0 Field Watch (Graphene coated case)

Post by cel4145 »

The graphene is really cool, and I think could be the future of watch cases for those that would like better scratch resistance.

What's not cool: They are using a superhard material on the case and then NOT giving it a sapphire crystal. Why would they not charge a little more and do that?
facepalm.gif
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Preorder: Kickstarter: Arcadia Watches - G1.0 Field Watch (Graphene coated case)

Post by TheJohnP »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:18 pm What's not cool: They are using a superhard material on the case and then NOT giving it a sapphire crystal. Why would they not charge a little more and do that?
OR better water resistance?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Franko
MoT Member

Post by Franko »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:18 pm The graphene is really cool, and I think could be the future of watch cases for those that would like better scratch resistance.

What's not cool: They are using a superhard material on the case and then NOT giving it a sapphire crystal. Why would they not charge a little more and do that? facepalm.gif
That's exactly what I thought. I started in this watch habit with mineral and learned quickly that they scratch to easy. Nothing but sapphire for me now. I have a beautiful seiko with black dial and silver accents that has a couple of scratches on the crystal, it bothers me.
Franko
MoT Member

Post by Franko »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:18 pm The graphene is really cool, and I think could be the future of watch cases for those that would like better scratch resistance.

What's not cool: They are using a superhard material on the case and then NOT giving it a sapphire crystal. Why would they not charge a little more and do that? facepalm.gif
That's exactly what I thought. I started in this watch habit with mineral and learned quickly that they scratch to easy. Nothing but sapphire for me now. I have a beautiful seiko with black dial and silver accents that has a couple of scratches on the crystal, it bothers me.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:24 pm
cel4145 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:18 pm What's not cool: They are using a superhard material on the case and then NOT giving it a sapphire crystal. Why would they not charge a little more and do that?
OR better water resistance?
No doubt. How hard would it be to seal it up to at least 10 ATM, so you wouldn't be worried of washing your hands in a stream while hiking?

Actually, I've never understood why most field watches don't have a screw down crown to give it some good water resistance. I guess watch designers are thinking of outdoor use as the trek to your car from your office or that long hike taking your dog for a walk around the block (lol).
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Mineral glass = dealbreaker. I have only two watches that are mineral glass...they are the two with the deep scratches I cannot remove. The fact that this microbrand is hyping their space age case material and then using mineral glass tells me they ae not true watch people and this is little more than a marketing gimmick.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

This has to be THE fugliest watch I have seen in a while.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

For anyone who was interested, sad to report that the campaign was UNSUCCESSFUL
But didn't seem too many were, hence not meeting their all or nothing goal.

Funding Unsuccessful
The project's funding goal was not reached on Thu, March 14 2019 1:00 PM EDT

They only raised $5,176 of the $12,250 goal
Click Icon To Contact Me