SUCCESSFUL: Kickstarter: Fitzgerald Watches - Damaszener: Damascus Steel watch

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

SUCCESSFUL: Kickstarter: Fitzgerald Watches - Damaszener: Damascus Steel watch

Post by TheJohnP »

As a reminder, I tend to gravitate to showcasing Kickstarter projects that either present a great bang for the buck or provide something different or unique from the typical offerings. This campaign falls into the latter category.

This is the Fitzgerald Damaszener, a Damascus Steel cased watch.

Early bird pricing is $646
Retail price will be $1,100

Each case is made entirely of premium-grade Damascus Steel, including the lugs, crown, AND buckle.
The dial appears to have a matching pattern, which is easier seen in their campaign video:
https://ksr-video.imgix.net/projects/36 ... 4_high.mp4
Kind of looks like Zebra stripes to me.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Can't say if that is a good deal or not, but I see Damascus steel stuff all the time on ToM, so there's got to be a market out there for it.
Last edited by TheJohnP on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Preorder: Kickstarter: Fitzgerald Watches - Damaszener: Damascus Steel watch

Post by watchpalooza »

Is that a sapphire crystal with AR coating OR a sapphire-coated mineral crystal?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Preorder: Kickstarter: Fitzgerald Watches - Damaszener: Damascus Steel watch

Post by TheJohnP »

FTE wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:18 am Is that a sapphire crystal with AR coating OR a sapphire-coated mineral crystal?

If you really want to know I can ask them.
Click Icon To Contact Me

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

That's ok, I don't think I am buying one. Would expect sapphire crystal though at this price point and based on their branding as watches of distinction as well as the other components being all high quality.
TheJohnP wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:19 am
FTE wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:18 am Is that a sapphire crystal with AR coating OR a sapphire-coated mineral crystal?

If you really want to know I can ask them.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I went ahead and asked, because that was a good catch.

The reply is thus:

"There is a mistake which “Sapphire coated crystal” should be written “Sapphire Crystal”. Information will be updated as soon as possible."
Click Icon To Contact Me

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

TheJohnP wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:36 pm I went ahead and asked, because that was a good catch.

The reply is thus:

"There is a mistake which “Sapphire coated crystal” should be written “Sapphire Crystal”. Information will be updated as soon as possible."
Thank you...that just makes more sense. I figured it may have been mis-translated.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Conchita Turtle
MoT Member

Post by Conchita Turtle »

[img]https://memegenerator.net/img/instances ... ot-cut.jpg[/img]

Really love this watch. Must... resist!!!
TheJohnP wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:12 am [img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
USMChawk
MoT Member

Post by USMChawk »

That’s a good looking watch and if I didn’t just buy another watch, I’d be sorely tempted. The 19mm lug width is an odd choice and likely costing them some sales.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I wonder about the damascus case rusting...damascus can be resistant or not, depending on which alloys they used.
Click Icon To Contact Me

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I think it's an interesting look for a watch. A few years ago, Sinn made a watch with Damascus Steel for both the case and dial. I'm sure some other manufacturers have used it too but I've seen it much more with knives than watches.

[img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a1/48/e4 ... fd9ec7.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1.wp.com/wristreview.com/wp-co ... C773&ssl=1[/img]
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

I would be tempted by the Fitzgerald Damascus steel watch, for I love the look of Damascus steel. However the fake Damascus look of the dial kills it for me. The dial needs to be a solid color. I don't care for fake wood grain on some material paired with real wood with wood grain either.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

cel4145 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:45 pm I would be tempted by the Fitzgerald Damascus steel watch, for I love the look of Damascus steel. However the fake Damascus look of the dial kills it for me. The dial needs to be a solid color. I don't care for fake wood grain on some material paired with real wood with wood grain either.
I’m not sure the dial is fake damascus as they state that each dial is a unique pattern. It may just be the mockup....but we will have to see.
Click Icon To Contact Me

cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

FTE wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:13 pm
cel4145 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:45 pm I would be tempted by the Fitzgerald Damascus steel watch, for I love the look of Damascus steel. However the fake Damascus look of the dial kills it for me. The dial needs to be a solid color. I don't care for fake wood grain on some material paired with real wood with wood grain either.
I’m not sure the dial is fake damascus as they state that each dial is a unique pattern. It may just be the mockup....but we will have to see.
I would be really surprised if the dial itself was Damascus steel. Seems like they would say that in their literature.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

You are likely right. This is all it says, “Including the lugs and crown, each FITZGERALD watch case is made entirely of Premium-grade Damascus Steel and each dial is covered with a different and unique pattern.”

cel4145 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:00 pm
FTE wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:13 pm
I would be really surprised if the dial itself was Damascus steel. Seems like they would say that in their literature.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Conchita Turtle
MoT Member

Post by Conchita Turtle »