As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

1291 Watches Kickstarter - a private label case study

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

1291 Watches Kickstarter - a private label case study

Post by TheJohnP »

Awhile ago, I posted about an Indiegogo campaign that basically let the cat out of the bag that they were using private label watches made on their behalf.

Well I just found another one that launched recently on Kickstarter.

The 1292 Watches Time Traveler automatic

Can't say what set of my "spidey-sense," but looked into it and sure enough these are straight catalog pieces with a customized dial from Chrono AG.
However, the catalog site says these will be provided with a Ronda R150 movement, but the Kickstarter says they're using the ETA 2824. So that could be the major difference from this being a straight up catalog order.

The specs are decent enough. Here they are from the Kickstarter page:
- Function: Analog - Automatic
- Case Material: StainlessSteel / Edelstahl 316L
- Case Dimension: 42 mm
- Glass: Sapphiry Crystal Scratchproof / Kratzfestes Saphirglas
- Water-Resistant: 100 m
- Dial-Color & Style: Blue & Black / Index & Numbers
- Movement: Swiss mechanical Automatic / Schweizer Automatik Uhrwerk
- Movement-Typ: ETA 2824-2
- Warranty: 2 Years international Swiss Watch Warranty
- Packaging: Box / Etui
- Swiss Made

The pricing isn't terribly bad either:
- Super Early Bird for the steel cased watches are $296
- Best price for the black PVD cased watch is $326

And since this is already funded and being made private label, the backers are going to get their watches. Which should be all that matters.
Not even sure I am bothered by this as a whole. Companies have to start somewhere, right? If using private label to get started on a path to get to putting out more custom pieces, not sure that's a problem. Or if they're just using private label stock and their margins aren't outrageous, does that matter?

Seems a good topic for discussion.
Like to hear your thoughts and perspectives about using private label product.

See below for each variant, along with the respective catalog page from Chrono AG.

[img][/img]
https://www.chronowatch.ch/en/watches/t ... c-627.html

[img][/img]
https://www.chronowatch.ch/en/watches/t ... c-625.html

[img][/img]
https://www.chronowatch.ch/en/watches/t ... matic.html

[img][/img]
https://www.chronowatch.ch/en/watches/t ... c-624.html

[img][/img]
https://www.chronowatch.ch/en/watches/t ... c-628.html
Last edited by TheJohnP on Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: 1291 Watches Kickstarter - a private label case study

Post by watchpalooza »

In concept I have no issue with companies using catalog parts. They are proven design with kinks worked out, and pretty much guaranteed available. There are pretty infinite combinations possible from just catalog parts, and as long as the finished product is appealing and well thought out, than no issue for me. Of course I love original designs with custom milled parts, but think its also possible to build a fairly great watch by drawing upon what is already available.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I don’t have a problem with it as long as the process isn’t presented as something that it isn’t. While I don’t necessarily need to know how the sausage is made, I don’t want to be sold a story about the process that is a bunch of lies.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:41 pm I don’t have a problem with it as long as the process isn’t presented as something that it isn’t. While I don’t necessarily need to know how the sausage is made, I don’t want to be sold a story about the process that is a bunch of lies.
Well said. So tired of marketing companies purchasing rights to old brands and claiming continuation of heritage. Or every third kickstarter stating they are "the first to make luxury affordable" or shamelessly ripping off an existing design (looking at you for doing both, Pompeak Watches). This is one reason I have collected so many vintage watches over the years and stayed mostly away from mictobrands until recently. Still, there are plenty who keep things on the up and up...and I appreciate that. Sorry for the rant...too early here and not yet had my breakfast bier.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

FTE wrote: Or every third kickstarter stating they are "the first to make luxury affordable"
You hit the nail on the head with that one. This claim should be included in the Kickstarter drinking game. There must be a kickstarter watch template out there that people keep copying.