We're Moving!

Click for more info.

SOLD OUT: Drop (aka Massdrop): Drop x Glycine Combat Sub exclusive

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

SOLD OUT: Drop (aka Massdrop): Drop x Glycine Combat Sub exclusive

Post by TheJohnP »

Drop has a collaboration with Glycine for a preorder on an exclusive Combat Sub

Preorder price is $399

https://drop.com/buy/drop-glycine-comba ... atic-watch

What makes this Drop x Glycine exclusive:
"This Drop-exclusive version of the Combat Sub has everything you loved about the original, only now it features a two-toned "soda" (aka Pepsi) bezel reminiscent of the red and blue colorway popularized in the 1960s. Also notable is the cyclops eye to magnify the date window and the reversion to the original Glycine logo—throwback changes that will delight any vintage watch lover."

*NOTE* - Images of this watch are 3D renders for illustration purposes only. The final product may differ slightly.
Estimated ship date is Dec 3, 2019.

SPECS
- Movement: Glycine GL224 26-jewel automatic
- 28800 vph
- 38-hour power reserve
- Case material: Stainless steel
- Crystal: Sapphire
- Caseback: Solid
- Bezel: Aluminum
- Date display
- Unidirectional rotating bezel
- Case diameter: 42 mm
- Case thickness: 11.3 mm
- Lug width: 24 mm
- Lug-to-lug: 52 mm
- Water resistance: 200 m (654 ft)

INCLUDED
- Glycine’s 2-year warranty
- Stainless steel bracelet
- The first 500 will feature an individual 3 digit serial number on the caseback, only available through Drop.
Last edited by TheJohnP on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: Preorder: Drop (aka Massdrop): Drop x Glycine Combat Sub exclusive

Post by yinzburgher »

I think it looks good. The only thing it's missing to my eye is drilled lugs. Sure you can sometimes get a brand new Combat Sub for $360 or even less. But I think $400 is a great price for an exclusive Glycine automatic, especially a nice-looking 200m diver with a bracelet.
ShoreFire77
MoT Member

Post by ShoreFire77 »

Nice. Pre 'wings' logo, too.
Pro Diver
MoT Member

Post by Pro Diver »

In looking at the renderings, the bracelet appears thicker than usual for a Combat sub and the clasp looks like an upgrade with a diver's extension.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I’m not a Mercedes hands guy, but that watch looks great. If you dig the hands, I don’t see how you could pass it up.

And I love that it has the old logo. That’s really weird. I wonder why.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Robotaz wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:44 pm I’m not a Mercedes hands guy, but that watch looks great. If you dig the hands, I don’t see how you could pass it up.

At the bottom of the Drop page, "Images of this watch are 3D renders for illustration purposes only. The final product may differ slightly." Might just be the person doing the rendering modifying a preexisting image that had the old logo.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

cel4145 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:43 pm
Robotaz wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:44 pm I’m not a Mercedes hands guy, but that watch looks great. If you dig the hands, I don’t see how you could pass it up.

At the bottom of the Drop page, "Images of this watch are 3D renders for illustration purposes only. The final product may differ slightly." Might just be the person doing the rendering modifying a preexisting image that had the old logo.
In this case it seems they've already made a very deliberate decision to go with the old logo.

Also notable is the cyclops eye to magnify the date window and the reversion to the original Glycine logo—throwback changes that will delight any vintage watch lover.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 pm
cel4145 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:43 pm

In this case it seems they've already made a very deliberate decision to go with the old logo.

Also notable is the cyclops eye to magnify the date window and the reversion to the original Glycine logo—throwback changes that will delight any vintage watch lover.
I guess I shouldn't skip the marketing prose :D
blibbedy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by blibbedy »

I'm not familiar with the Combat Sub. Is it a Swiss Made automatic or is it Japan something?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

blibbedy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 pm I'm not familiar with the Combat Sub. Is it a Swiss Made automatic or is it Japan something?
Glycines are Swiss Made.
Movement is based on the ETA 2824 - http://calibercorner.com/glycine-caliber-gl-224/
More about the general collection - https://glycine-watch.ch/collection/combat/
Click Icon To Contact Me

quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

yinzburgher wrote:I think it looks good. The only thing it's missing to my eye is drilled lugs. Sure you can sometimes get a brand new Combat Sub for $360 or even less. But I think $400 is a great price for an exclusive Glycine automatic, especially a nice-looking 200m diver with a bracelet.
If I'm reading it properly, the exclusivity refers to the mass drop serialization only. Not the design.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

quincas wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 pm
yinzburgher wrote:I think it looks good. The only thing it's missing to my eye is drilled lugs. Sure you can sometimes get a brand new Combat Sub for $360 or even less. But I think $400 is a great price for an exclusive Glycine automatic, especially a nice-looking 200m diver with a bracelet.
If I'm reading it properly, the exclusivity refers to the mass drop serialization only. Not the design.
I read it differently.
The particular design appears to be exclusive to Drop, with the first 500 watches sold to have serialization.
Click Icon To Contact Me

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

quincas wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 pm
Yea, I'm pretty sure that's right. I guess I thought of it as limited to 500 because I didn't read it carefully enough.

- The first 500 will feature an individual 3 digit serial number on the caseback, only available through Drop.
So it seems this implies that Glycine may just keep producing non-Drop examples of this well after the 500 Drop examples are accounted for.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

From Drop:

Hi Everybody:

I’m happy to announce today our Drop + Glycine “Soda Edition” Combat Sub, exclusive to Drop.

It’s no mystery that we here at Drop have long been big fans of the Combat Sub, our best selling watch. For a while now we’ve been kicking around ways to do something special with it, and within this exploration soon emerged a very plain question: Should one even improve something that’s already pretty solid? The Combat Sub has long hit the marks: (1) a balanced design with an estimable heritage (2) formidable Swiss build quality (3) a serious dive watch that’s also a practical daily wearer and (4) an overall strong value. It soon became clear that we wished to honor the Combat Sub versus fundamentally change it.

One thing that we’ve always loved here at Drop are vintage divers, which is why the classic looks of the Combat Sub hold such appeal. We also especially dig the color language of the period, most prominently Red and Blue color treatments for the bezel. In the ’60s and ’70s, many brands adopted this specific colorway such that watches with this treatment colloquially became known as “Pepsi bezel" watches. As a nod to this, we’re calling this our “Soda Edition” Combat Sub.

Glycine enthusiasts may also note a very welcome return to the original Glycine logo. In addition, we’ve also added a cyclops eye magnifier over the date window, a functional retro touch that rounds out the vintage-inspired look of this piece.

True to any Combat Sub Automatic, expect the same classic styling, superb finish levels, 200 meter (660 ft) water resistance, triple coated sapphire crystal, and a high beat 26 jewel Swiss Made automatic movement.

The first 500 will feature an individual 3 digit serial number on the caseback, only available through Drop.

We really hope you like it!

Leo
Click Icon To Contact Me

blibbedy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by blibbedy »

TheJohnP wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:27 pm
blibbedy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 pm I'm not familiar with the Combat Sub. Is it a Swiss Made automatic or is it Japan something?
Glycines are Swiss Made.
Movement is based on the ETA 2824 - http://calibercorner.com/glycine-caliber-gl-224/
More about the general collection - https://glycine-watch.ch/collection/combat/
I honestly never heard of Glycine. Are they an actual brand or is it a Drop brand? And what exactly is Drop, like some sort of Aliexpress?