MoT's Watch Deal Forum Race

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Race

Post by Sporkboy »

Well, that was quite an introduction and I don’t quite know how I can follow that, but I will give it a try.

When PetWatch approached me to commission a watch, I said I wouldn’t do it unless it was for the watch deals race. Well here we are, I even made the deadline. It brings me great pleasure to present the award for first place in the MoT’s 2019 Watch Deal Race.

For our Grand Champion of deals 2019, TheJohnP, we have a nice stainless steel 40mm watch with 100m WR, domed crystal and a signed crown. This is the same base watch as the other watches I have made for members here with the exception being that it is the first black MoT watch I have deemed worthy of another members wrist. It clearly declares TheJohnP as the Grand Champion of this years Watch Deal Race. A modern watch that looks great and would be a welcome addition to any watch box. It even has my signature painted caseback (not pictured for legal reasons).

As with all MoT watches, this will always be LWDS compliant. I hope that it brings you a smile when you see it and that wear it with pride as a reminder of your amazing achievement and contribution to emptying the pockets of your fellow MoT forum members.

Now it is back to our MC and resident race-master for the dramatic conclusion of this years awards ceremony. Take it away PetWatch.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: MoT's Watch Deal Forum Race

Post by MoT »

This is simply outstanding. You two have really outdone yourselves, and I am humbled to have facilitated such an outpouring of camaraderie.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Speechless.

I'll have some words later, but right now I am just too flabbergasted.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

TheJohnP wrote:Speechless.

I'll have some words later, but right now I am just too flabbergasted.
This was well deserved and I was pleased to be able to create this special watch for you. Now if I could just get the caseback painting right...
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Awesome, just awesome.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

This place and the people here bring so much joy to my life. Extraordinary.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I may have to take it back on the painted caseback. The paint and the way the caseback is engraved are not behaving nicely. I'll try once more, but I am not hopeful.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

watchpalooza wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:48 am This place and the people here bring so much joy to my life. Extraordinary.
I like to think of myself as a slightly-above-mediocre wordsmith, but comments like this leave me at my anvil with no hammer.

Thank you.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:05 pm I may have to take it back on the painted caseback. The paint and the way the caseback is engraved are not behaving nicely. I'll try once more, but I am not hopeful.
No rush on my end.
Take time to get it to [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] level of quality.
:)
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

TheJohnP wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:05 pm I may have to take it back on the painted caseback. The paint and the way the caseback is engraved are not behaving nicely. I'll try once more, but I am not hopeful.
No rush on my end.
Take time to get it to [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] level of quality.
:)
Well, I can’t ship anything I am not proud of. I guess that is why everything takes me so long. It is hard to argue with the results though. Other fun things are cooking, can’t wait until they are done.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Amazing!

I love this community. You guys are the best.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

cairoanan
MoT Member

Post by cairoanan »

Awesomeness all around. Great group of guys (and gals) here!
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It greatly pleases me to be part of this great community.

chest fist.jpg
chest fist.jpg (99.91 KiB) Viewed 998 times

Sporkboy, I have to say - AWESOME .............

tiger fixed.jpg
tiger fixed.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 998 times
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

We're are not done here yet.

Sometime ago I was informed by another member about his desire to issue his own award. Mind you, not your typical award. We don't do typical here. This is not your typical racecourse, not your typical racers, not your typical race and sure as hell we are not about to bestow typical awards. This is another award without equal, a uniquely inventive award of art exemplary of the winner's magnificent and incomparable talent for a special type of deal. It will be presented to another Super Deserving Super Star,. With his personal project, with his unrivaled visionary skills, with his breathtaking horological prowess, once again, we have another one of a kind masterpiece from the ingeniously creative imagination and stunning horological artistry of “The” Sporkboy.

Please Sporkboy, do your magic once again, and thank you for your generous contributions to the Deals Race. Much appreciated!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Once again I am humbled by your introduction. When I die, remind me to ask you to write my eulogy.

While I was at it with TheJohnP’s watch, I figured I might as well do something a tad more out there and creative for Yinzburgher. With the second place finish watch, I took a slightly different approach.
72295FF8-8ED7-4E49-8DB2-9C2EBC9DFE85.jpeg
I took inspiration from the Jet/Ergode fiasco of 2019. The great Jet/Ergode ‘deal’ was close to being one of those epic deals that lives on as legend in the annals of watch deal threads. So much potential, yet this deal just didn’t deliver in the way that when the tale is told a year from now that you would be met with incredulous internet comments only to shut people up with a link to the original posting itself which proudly declares for all time that Yinzburgher was the one to break the deal and share it with the unworthy masses. That didn’t happen.

In short, the deal was close to being great, but fell short. From this idea, the name Close to Greatness was born. I tried to make everything just a little short of what someone would want in a watch. With PetWatch helping me with some of the design decisions, I think it came out close to something you might shove into the back of a sock drawer to be found many years later by your next of kin and make them wonder ‘who was Sporkboy?’ and ‘what’s a Yinzburgher?’ just before tossing it into the bin.

For the base watch, I chose a gold nugget style Gruen that is shockingly similar to one that my dad wore on dressy occasions on a cruise ship in the early 90’s. True to the era in which it was created, it clocks in at 33.5mm and sports an integrated bracelet that you can never really get clean. It has no micro adjustment and a limited number of links, so let’s hope you get lucky with the fit.

Since stainless steel is just a fad, I went all out with gold, case, selected markers, hands and the dial text. Speaking of dial text, check out that font- the ever classy Comic Sans. There are a rare few occasions when it is appropriate to use this font, and I think this was one of them.

Markers are a mix of gold and silver circles and triangles, lumed at 1, 5, 6, 7 and and 11 (primes except 3 is missing and 6 isn’t prime...you figure it out.) That might be helpful if there was any lume on those gilt hands... but wait, there is! That’s right, this watch has the ever elusive and nonsensical black lume. Who here has a watch with lume that bad ass? That’s what I thought.
AC155640-DD85-41F8-9A9D-49C04A010415.jpeg
It a pitch black room, you might be able to take a guess at the time. It even has my signature painted caseback (not pictured for legal reasons).

While this was the second place watch, it took a lot of effort to get the details not quite right. Hopefully I was at least able to create something memorable.

Love it or hate it, it’s a prestigious award so Yinzburgher has to keep it. It is always LWDS compliant, so I look forward to seeing some interesting posts.

This was a lot of fun to design and build, and surprisingly difficult to design something intended to be ‘bad’. It brings me great pleasure to be able to present this never to be repeated crime against horology to the one and only Yinzburgher.

Now it is back to our MC and resident race-master for another dramatic conclusion to this year’s awards ceremony. Take it away PetWatch.