MoT's Watch Deal Forum Race

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: MoT's Watch Deal Forum Race

Post by yinzburgher »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:46 am Once again I am humbled by your introduction. When I die, remind me to ask you to write my eulogy.

While I was at it with TheJohnP’s watch, I figured I might as well do something a tad more out there and creative for Yinzburgher. With the second place finish watch, I took a slightly different approach.

72295FF8-8ED7-4E49-8DB2-9C2EBC9DFE85.jpeg

I took inspiration from the Jet/Ergode fiasco of 2019. The great Jet/Ergode ‘deal’ was close to being one of those epic deals that lives on as legend in the annals of watch deal threads. So much potential, yet this deal just didn’t deliver in the way that when the tale is told a year from now that you would be met with incredulous internet comments only to shut people up with a link to the original posting itself which proudly declares for all time that Yinzburgher was the one to break the deal and share it with the unworthy masses. That didn’t happen.

In short, the deal was close to being great, but fell short. From this idea, the name Close to Greatness was born. I tried to make everything just a little short of what someone would want in a watch. With PetWatch helping me with some of the design decisions, I think it came out close to something you might shove into the back of a sock drawer to be found many years later by your next of kin and make them wonder ‘who was Sporkboy?’ and ‘what’s a Yinzburgher?’ just before tossing it into the bin.

For the base watch, I chose a gold nugget style Gruen that is shockingly similar to one that my dad wore on dressy occasions on a cruise ship in the early 90’s. True to the era in which it was created, it clocks in at 33.5mm and sports an integrated bracelet that you can never really get clean. It has no micro adjustment and a limited number of links, so let’s hope you get lucky with the fit.

Since stainless steel is just a fad, I went all out with gold, case, selected markers, hands and the dial text. Speaking of dial text, check out that font- the ever classy Comic Sans. There are a rare few occasions when it is appropriate to use this font, and I think this was one of them.

Markers are a mix of gold and silver circles and triangles, lumed at 1, 5, 6, 7 and and 11 (primes except 3 is missing and 6 isn’t prime...you figure it out.) That might be helpful if there was any lume on those gilt hands... but wait, there is! That’s right, this watch has the ever elusive and nonsensical black lume. Who here has a watch with lume that bad ass? That’s what I thought.

AC155640-DD85-41F8-9A9D-49C04A010415.jpeg

It a pitch black room, you might be able to take a guess at the time. It even has my signature painted caseback (not pictured for legal reasons).

While this was the second place watch, it took a lot of effort to get the details not quite right. Hopefully I was at least able to create something memorable.

Love it or hate it, it’s a prestigious award so Yinzburgher has to keep it. It is always LWDS compliant, so I look forward to seeing some interesting posts.

This was a lot of fun to design and build, and surprisingly difficult to design something intended to be ‘bad’. It brings me great pleasure to be able to present this never to be repeated crime against horology to the one and only Yinzburgher.

Now it is back to our MC and resident race-master for another dramatic conclusion to this year’s awards ceremony. Take it away PetWatch.
Dear Lord! That watch is a freakshow........and I'm completely floored. :lol: "Breathtaking horological prowess" indeed. I've never before been associated with greatness or anything "close to greatness" and while certainly nothing I've done on this forum qualifies for that label, this is truly an honor. Can't wait wait to get that hideous golden nugget on my wrist. I do really hope it fits. I'm not sure what else to say but please know that I'm 100% sincere when I say that even if it's a meaningless award (I really don't know entirely what it is :lol: and that's ok), it does actually mean a lot because of the two individuals it's coming from. Spork and PW, this is seriously awesome. This place has been my favorite hang out over the last year and you guys are huge reasons why. 🙏

Last edited by yinzburgher on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:53 am
Sporkboy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:46 am Once again I am humbled by your introduction. When I die, remind me to ask you to write my eulogy.

While I was at it with TheJohnP’s watch, I figured I might as well do something a tad more out there and creative for Yinzburgher. With the second place finish watch, I took a slightly different approach.

I took inspiration from the Jet/Ergode fiasco of 2019. The great Jet/Ergode ‘deal’ was close to being one of those epic deals that lives on as legend in the annals of watch deal threads. So much potential, yet this deal just didn’t deliver in the way that when the tale is told a year from now that you would be met with incredulous internet comments only to shut people up with a link to the original posting itself which proudly declares for all time that Yinzburgher was the one to break the deal and share it with the unworthy masses. That didn’t happen.

In short, the deal was close to being great, but fell short. From this idea, the name Close to Greatness was born. I tried to make everything just a little short of what someone would want in a watch. With PetWatch helping me with some of the design decisions, I think it came out close to something you might shove into the back of a sock drawer to be found many years later by your next of kin and make them wonder ‘who was Sporkboy?’ and ‘what’s a Yinzburgher?’ just before tossing it into the bin.

For the base watch, I chose a gold nugget style Gruen that is shockingly similar to one that my dad wore on dressy occasions on a cruise ship in the early 90’s. True to the era in which it was created, it clocks in at 33.5mm and sports an integrated bracelet that you can never really get clean. It has no micro adjustment and a limited number of links, so let’s hope you get lucky with the fit.

Since stainless steel is just a fad, I went all out with gold, case, selected markers, hands and the dial text. Speaking of dial text, check out that font- the ever classy Comic Sans. There are a rare few occasions when it is appropriate to use this font, and I think this was one of them.

Markers are a mix of gold and silver circles and triangles, lumed at 1, 5, 6, 7 and and 11 (primes except 3 is missing and 6 isn’t prime...you figure it out.) That might be helpful if there was any lume on those gilt hands... but wait, there is! That’s right, this watch has the ever elusive and nonsensical black lume. Who here has a watch with lume that bad ass? That’s what I thought.

It a pitch black room, you might be able to take a guess at the time. It even has my signature painted caseback (not pictured for legal reasons).

While this was the second place watch, it took a lot of effort to get the details not quite right. Hopefully I was at least able to create something memorable.

Love it or hate it, it’s a prestigious award so Yinzburgher has to keep it. It is always LWDS compliant, so I look forward to seeing some interesting posts.

This was a lot of fun to design and build, and surprisingly difficult to design something intended to be ‘bad’. It brings me great pleasure to be able to present this never to be repeated crime against horology to the one and only Yinzburgher.

Now it is back to our MC and resident race-master for another dramatic conclusion to this year’s awards ceremony. Take it away PetWatch.
Dear Lord! That watch is a freakshow........and I'm completely floored. :lol: "Breathtaking horological prowess" indeed. I've never before been associated with greatness or anything "close to greatness" and while certainly nothing I've done on this forum qualifies for that label, this is truly an honor. Can't wait wait to get that hideous golden nugget on my wrist. I do really hope it fits. I'm not sure what else to say but please know that I'm 100% sincere when I say that even it's a meaningless award (I really don't know entirely what it is :lol: and that's ok), it does actually mean a lot because of the two individuals it coming from. Spork and PW, this is seriously awesome. This place has been my favorite hang out over the last year and you guys are huge reason why. 🙏

That thing is horrifically awesome. I've been chuckling about it to myself all morning. :lol:

yinzy, you definitely need to wear that watch when you and Mr. Furley are down at The Regal Beagle trying to pick up dates. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This entire thread has been such a joy to read. As I have said many times, I'm amazed at how a little hangout I created could have such an effect on people.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

The bracelet measures 7 1/2 inches currently. If your wrist is larger than that, we will need to get creative. Let me know and so I can take appropriate measures.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:25 am The bracelet measures 7 1/2 inches currently. If your wrist is larger than that, we will need to get creative. Let me know and so I can take appropriate measures.
7. We're in business! PM sent. 👍
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

yinzburgher wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:25 am The bracelet measures 7 1/2 inches currently. If your wrist is larger than that, we will need to get creative. Let me know and so I can take appropriate measures.
7. We're in business! PM sent. [emoji106]
Alright. I will pull one of the links as it is a bit of a pain to size. It should be pretty close at that point. I am also fighting with caseback painting. This is what I get for trying g to improve upon what is already good[emoji16]
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:18 am
yinzburgher wrote:
Alright. I will pull one of the links as it is a bit of a pain to size. It should be pretty close at that point. I am also fighting with caseback painting. This is what I get for trying g to improve upon what is already good[emoji16]
If you remember that the best is the enemy of the good you'll save yourself a lot of grief.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:46 am
Sporkboy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:18 am
yinzburgher wrote:
If you remember that the best is the enemy of the good you'll save yourself a lot of grief.
I think about this bit of wisdom every day. That and "Perfection is an illusion" I have that laminated. Drives some people nuts and they just don't get it.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, this turned out pretty darned crisp. I may just be getting better at this.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I've had some time to reflect after being blindsided by this generous gesture from the inventive mind of [mention]PetWatch[/mention] and the skilled hands of [mention]Sporkboy[/mention]

If in Dec of 2018, someone told me that once I joined this forum that not only would I eventually become a moderator, but also the top deal finder for 2019, there would've been a 99% chance of scoffing. 99.5% more likely.

Back at the WUS thread, I shared some deals. But not too many, as the vibe there wasn't the same. Just never felt that inviting and/or someone quick to tear down what was just posted. And once the doors here were opened, it let through a breath of fresh air.

For me, I honestly enjoy finding watch deals. Plain and simple. It has never been about the amount of deals posted (EXCEPT in Sep, when I tried to keep from having to back up my challenge...). Has it partly been 'bout them likes? (a bit) Pound for pound though, I find going down "deal rabbit holes" a lot of fun. Seeing what a reference number will pull up and list unfamiliar sites I've not seen where new deals can be found (like an Ocarat). Reading the excitement (or anger) when a great deal is posted. And it allowed me to contribute to growth of this site.

Because that's the main thing. THIS. HERE. US. I have really come to treasure what [mention]ManOnTime[/mention] has started and we've collectively built. With few and rare exceptions, we all have put aside our varied differences and focused on what we share, a love of watches and watch deals. The community, the camaraderie, the collective positivity and support astounds me. What everyone hopes and wishes for what an online or social experience could be, well we have it.

I am proud that I can help steer the ship as a moderator with [mention]watchpalooza[/mention] under our Captain MoT. I am pleased that I may have helped a bunch of people save a lot of money. And I am truly humbled at the generosity and hospitality I've received. C'mon, not only did I get a pair of custom Chucks, but my signature features a ballad written about me! Where else do those things happen to someone?!?

I can't wait to wear this 2019 Grand Champion watch.
And I hope to see someone take that title from me in 2020.

Thank you all and let's keep having fun!
John P

PetWatch wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:46 pm And now for the one we have all been waiting for. The one that's been rightfully called The Greatest Spectacle in Racing:
The Great MoT Racetrack Watch Deals Race.

Your racing announcer has commissioned a very special award. This is not just any special award, it is the most coveted award in the world of bargain watch hunting. It is made of 100% unobtanium for 99.99% of all deal lusting finders. It is an award that no amount of money can buy. An award where the half art half science of bargain hunting and watches collide to combine into the most prestigious award in the watch deals universe.

To present this incredible accolade to the winner, mind you this is not your average winner, this is the most deserving record smashing sensation ever seen in the annals of watch deals, no idea who it could possibly be, I am proud to introduce to you the creative genius behind the MoT Forum Watch destined to become a classic. The winner of the 2019 Silver and Bronze medals in the Watch of the Year competition. The prolific and inventive horological super modder in high demand for his services, who nonetheless most graciously agreed to take on this difficult project for The Deals Race when fully booked, of which The Deals Race is forever grateful! Here he is, none other than the amazing, ingeniously creative modder extraordinaire - The Sporkboy.

Please Sporkboy, do the honors.
Sporkboy wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:49 am It brings me great pleasure to present the award for first place in the MoT’s 2019 Watch Deal Race.

For our Grand Champion of deals 2019, TheJohnP, we have a nice stainless steel 40mm watch with 100m WR, domed crystal and a signed crown. This is the same base watch as the other watches I have made for members here with the exception being that it is the first black MoT watch I have deemed worthy of another members wrist. It clearly declares TheJohnP as the Grand Champion of this years Watch Deal Race. A modern watch that looks great and would be a welcome addition to any watch box. It even has my signature painted caseback (not pictured for legal reasons).

As with all MoT watches, this will always be LWDS compliant. I hope that it brings you a smile when you see it and that wear it with pride as a reminder of your amazing achievement and contribution to emptying the pockets of your fellow MoT forum members.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Thank you Sporkboy, another great creation. It was a lot of fun cooperating with you on these projects.

The Final Deals Race Award

In the competitive sport of deal racing, Win, Place and Show are in the money baby. In the money! And when it comes to Show, nobody, and I mean nobody, Showboats it up and down around and about the track like the The Magnificent Super Star Deal Hunter. Rocking at times, rolling at others, and churning deals out of all with his Midas Touch whipping, them all into lavish deal machines.

Once again your racing announcer, commentator, steward and in general......, we should stop before we slide off here now. I have commissioned another unmatched award in honor of this Super Star deal hunter, fitting of his unrivaled prowess in the use of a special racing tool. A tool attested by the scars other racers bear witness to.

Crack that whip
When someone comes along
You must whip 'em
Someone's on your left
You must whip 'em
Someone's on your right
You must 'em
When deals come along
You must whip 'em
Whip 'em out
Whip 'em good

(Devo - Whip It adapted)

It is my distinct honor and privilege to present to this Showman Extraordinaire, this Super Star Deal Hunter, this astonishing track floor dazzling showman known as aka Sultan The Magnificent of The SoWhat, with the Thrilling Great Deals Race Fabulous Leather Whip award. Fitting as the Sultan is the only one trained and licensed to carry a whip in the MoT racecourse. Why Oh Why? SoWhat, I thought I heard someone say.

I would also like to thank the Great Leather Watch Band Specialist, Tennesseean_87, for most graciously agreeing to produce this very special award. Please Sultan of SoWhat, pm him and place an order for a magnificent custom made leather whip, errr, I meant watch band of your choice.

Coming up closing comments.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Simply amazing! I cannot find words! Bravo [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] and [mention]PetWatch[/mention] .

Yes, this place is amazing. I started to wax philosophical, but I will just leave it at that! ;)
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Congratulations to all award winners. You earned it! You deserve it! And them some. Winners, may you newly wear your award in good health with a smile on your face, and treasure it for a fond day of reminiscence many years from now.

It all begin with an idea to enliven what many consider to be dry, boring statistics, as well as a desire to recognize all the Deal Jockeys that take the time and effort to find, compose and post deals. Something that anyone who has ever posted a complete deal listing will understand, realizing that most bargain hunters will kindly appreciate any tip of any type that leads to a deal. Thus I thought it proper to offer some form of due recognition to all deal posters, if only in mention.

Thus this semi-fictional tale sprung from my imagination, any resemblance to the real life characters is purely coincidental. I couldn't have asked for a greater bunch of un-volunteered draftee racing sports.

As has been said, but can never be said enough, absolute praise and recognition is due The Great MoT Race Place. It won me over from the start. This, thanks to our host the competent and equitable Man on Time, his fair and proficient site stewards The JohnP and watchpaloooza, who through their skillful leadership attract the many genuine folks who visit this site to share their enthusiasm for this hobby with like-minded individuals, in a most positive way. This, makes it a pleasure to interact with others, share, learn, and ultimately an immensely enjoyable and fun site to visit and hang out.

So whenever you save a chunk or a load, whenever you can, whenever you feel it, or now is as good a time as any, do contribute an award(s) of your choice (There are many ways in which to contribute to this site.) to our Marvelous Host The Great MoT Race Place that make this all possible - to help make this an even better place.

Accumulating great savings and even greater watches we saunter all the way to the poorhouse!

Lest we forget:

Life Is a Journey, Not a Destination!

The Inaugural 2019 Great MoT Deals Race has ended. Hope you enjoyed reading it as I did writing it, mostly.

All Awards have been issued. The racing Deal Jockeys have been recognized. Thus, this tale has come to an end.

tiger.jpg
tiger.jpg (92.59 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

PS, special thanks to Sporkboy and Tennesseean_87 for their contributions to making these awards possible, to Dub Rubb for a couple of great post race interviews, and to anyone else I may have omitted to mention for their contributions.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Race

Post by Sporkboy »

Well said Petwatch. It is definitely the people that make this place what it is, and I am proud to call it my online home. There were some award pictures I took of the two together that I haven’t been able to share until now...
Hmm, that appears to be an alternate of the C2G watch where we had black hands on the black dial for minimum visibility and maximum hilarity. The Grand Champion award is one it’s way and should reach TheJohnP sometime tomorrow. Shipment of the C2G award has been delayed slightly due to non-watch related technical reasons

On the topic of contributing, I would like to mention the Pay It Forward thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=627&hilit=PIFas another option. This is more directly feeding the addictions of your fellow forum members, but it helps build personal connections to other actual people. It is also a good place to move unused watches and accessories along to someone that will put them to use.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

STOP THE PRESSES!

We have received an urgent telegram from HUISABH Downs Racetrack!
Read for yourselves...

A pony express rider just stopped by and dropped off the aforementioned package.
I took it upon myself to open it up and inspect it.
And once I read the inscription, it all came together and made complete sense.

Here's the final award:

Congrats [mention]PetWatch[/mention] for putting together the most imaginative, humorous, and entertaining thread on the forum.

Consider this a small token of appreciation from myself, [mention]ManOnTime[/mention], and [mention]watchpalooza[/mention]
Please PM me your address and I'll drop it off at the post office for you.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

This. Is. Awesome!

Well deserved [mention]PetWatch[/mention], I think I can speak for everyone when I say we all enjoyed your Pulitzer caliber coverage.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT