How to Request Custom Discount Codes

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

How to Request Custom Discount Codes

Post by Sporkboy »

After I posted the custom discount code to CheapestNATOStraps.com (ManOnTime gets you 15% off) there has been some interest in obtaining custom discount codes from other vendors. Below is a bit of background and a brief discussion about how I went about this that may be helpful should you want to request discount codes on behalf of this forum.

Custom codes not only give a nod to the forum, but they are valuable to vendors in that they inform them on the origin of sales generating traffic. If we use a code from another forum (i.e.: WUS), then we are giving them credit where no credit is due. On our end there isn’t additional value, but it does appear give the forum some ‘street cred’.

Important Points
- I was a repeat customer that had previously had e-mail correspondence with the vendor.
- The vendor had issued a forum specific code in the past.
- The vendor has a standing ‘welcome back’ discount code.

So, if you are a repeat customer with a vendor that already has forum specific or standing codes out there then they are a candidate to ask. If you are respectful and not pushy about the request then the worst that they are likely to say is no, and that’s the same answer we have now. In other words, it never hurts to ask.

Notes on E-mail Content
Please CC info@manontime.com on all such requests.
Background
- The forum address and contact info:
ManOnTime.com
info@manontime.com
Telegram: ‪ManOnTime‬
WhatsApp: ‪+16124245149‬
- Focus of forum (deal hunting watch enthusiasts)
- Why it started (only because of previous WUS code). This was brief and didn’t get into the messy details, but I did note that posting deals was all but banned and many reasonable posts were deleted.

Request
-Requested code (ManOnTime)
-Suggested discount (same as has previously been issued)
and optionally
-Granting a custom code would allow them to track how many sales this exciting new forum is generating for them (only if they don’t have an existing forum specific code)

I hesitate in creating a template for people to use as it would be in my voice/style and I think that these types of requests should have a personal tone. Just keep them short and keep an appreciative of their consideration.

Success?
If a vendor you contact issues a ManOnTime discount code, you have a little follow up to do.
-Post the code to this thread.
-Submit the code to the MOT Discount Code Database
-Post to the HUISABH thread (may or may not be appropriate as time goes on)

Most vendors could potentially generate a custom code, but some particularly good candidates to start with for custom codes might be:
Crown and Buckle (WATCHUSEEK 15% code)
Watch Gecko (WATCHUSEEK 10% over £50 code)
Deep Blue (DEEP 40% code- one discount code for everyone? seriously?)

OK, that’s it from me. If you are so inclined, reach out to your favorite vendors and see what they can do. I’m looking forward to seeing how things turn out and how much vendor love we can generate for this great new forum.

Edit: Added contact info and CC instructions as per MOT.
Last edited by Sporkboy on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: How to Request Custom Discount Codes

Post by MoT »

Good tips. I have some experience with crafting sponsor proposals, and your methods look fine.

I'd like to ask one thing:

If anyone chooses to go forward with making a request to a vendor, I'd like my contact information (info@manontime.com, and the methods in my signature) to be included, and I would also like to be c.c.'d on the requests.

Thank you.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: How to Request Custom Discount Codes

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:Good tips. I have some experience with crafting sponsor proposals, and your methods look fine.

I'd like to ask one thing:

If anyone chooses to go forward with making a request to a vendor, I'd like my contact information (info@manontime.com, and the methods in my signature) to be included, and I would also like to be c.c.'d on the requests.

Thank you.
That is probably a really good idea. I have edited the post to include this information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk