We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Grey market question

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
Penfold36
MoT Member

Grey market question

Post by Penfold36 »

I was going to post in the main thread but didn't want to clog it up. Hopefully, I will get some discussion here.

I've never purchased from any of the big grey market vendors (Jomashop, WatchMaxx, etc.). I came close a few times when I first got into the watch game but got scared off by stories of horrendous customer service. I don't know why I didn't think about this before, but I'm wondering if people are more comfortable purchasing from them through ebay, considering all of the protections ebay and Paypal provide. Does (or would) that matter to you? Has it influenced your purchasing decisions from those types of vendors? Just looking for some thoughts and perspectives on the matter. Thanks.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Re: Grey market question

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

I have had no problems buying from gray market merchants. I have bought from Joma, Watchmaxx, World of Watches, Luxchoice, Gemnation, Certified, and I guess others who don't readily come to mind.

Of course, others may have had different experiences, but that's mine--for what it's worth.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Throw Long Island Watch into the mix, too. No problem there. Indeed, Marc was very helpful.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Not a consideration for me since I consider my credit card the ultimate arbiter. Having said that, I had such a horrible experience with Jomashop that I refuse to buy anything from them, to the degree that an additional layer of protection becomes irrelevant.

Gray market vendor reputation is important when it comes to problem resolution. This would be a major consideration for me were I concerned with a smooth transaction because even if you ultimately get an issue resolved, some vendors will put you through a terrible experience.

Aside from the prior mentioned seller, have bought from many others frequently mentioned here without any major issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I like your idea of buying from a seller through their eBay store instead of their site, when that's an option. Seems like the seller would have more incentive to provide good service, since eBay is looking over their shoulder and they want to preserve a good reputation rating.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

BostonCharlie wrote:I like your idea of buying from a seller through their eBay store instead of their site, when that's an option. Seems like the seller would have more incentive to provide good service, since eBay is looking over their shoulder and they want to preserve a good reputation rating.
Makes sense. The main advantages I find buying through Ebay is that you have seller ratings and reviews readily available, they will fairly rapidly make a determination on a dispute case, and tend to rule in favor of the customer. But I have found them lacking when it comes to implementing stronger measures that would warn and protect potential buyers from "unscrupulous" sellers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bergbergs
MoT Member

Post by Bergbergs »

I've never had any issues with the big gray market vendors e.g. Jomashop. Have always received my watches in the condition they were advertised in a timely manner. That said, I've never had to return a gray market watch or send it in for a service/repair, and so I can't comment on customer service, only the buying experience.
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:58 pm Throw Long Island Watch into the mix, too. No problem there. Indeed, Marc was very helpful.
I was under the impression that Long Island Watch was an AD, at least for Seiko.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

My experiences have been acceptable, too, with six or seven of them (may we term them GMDs?)

My only return/repair experience was with Ashford. I had to return the watch a second time to get the issue resolved. But to their credit they paid for expedited shipping both time.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Bergbergs wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:08 am I've never had any issues with the big gray market vendors e.g. Jomashop. Have always received my watches in the condition they were advertised in a timely manner. That said, I've never had to return a gray market watch or send it in for a service/repair, and so I can't comment on customer service, only the buying experience.
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:58 pm Throw Long Island Watch into the mix, too. No problem there. Indeed, Marc was very helpful.
I was under the impression that Long Island Watch was an AD, at least for Seiko.
--------

In a Youtube clip Marc discusses being a gray market vendor.