We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Watch Purchase Control Group (WPCG)

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
VCheng
MoT Member

Re: Watch Purchase Control Group (WPCG)

Post by VCheng »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:30 am
VCheng wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:37 am
PetWatch wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:58 pm Sporkboy brought up another good point, how to stay interested in the hobby aside from looking for watches. I recently bought a Timegrapher after much hesitation due to hearing all the tales about the accuracy adjustment rabbit hole that it can become. After seeing before and after photos showing all the dust that enters a movement after it's opened, I have no interest in opening it to fine tune unless accuracy is way off my standards. But I do have an interest in movements and like to compare them, so I am measuring their Timegrapher performance when they come up for rotation.

I have an interest in the history of horology and how things work so I spend time reading up on these subjects. Found the article linked below the other day about the part of a movement called the “escapement”. I never would have thought this part that I only casually understood until then would be so interesting read about.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-m ... t-that-way

Been wanting to try my hand at modding and simple movement maintenance but that's perhaps for another time.
I have been interested in modding as well. I think it should be the other way to keep the hobby apart from buying other watches. Shift the main focus to straps is another way as well. Both will bring the feeling of getting a new watch.

BTW, I am also starting to flip some of my collection. I have never did that for so many years. It somehow ease my mind that you can just let some watches go, which means you can live with the fact that you cant own all the watches you want.

Well, they are hard decisions, provided that the watches were bought after serious considerations. Yet the other way round, it proves that life goes on without them and so also the watches you want.
Don't forget to post those sales in the Bazaar!
Ha, yes, I did think about that. I have no experience in shipping stuff to overseas and receive payment via PP etc. Just want to avoid admin work. I will consider that again, maybe it is not so troublesome.
denormalize
MoT Member

Sticking to your convictions... with a little help from your friends

Post by denormalize »

Last week I pulled the trigger on the deal I posted for the for the Casio G-Shock MT-G at Macy's.
While I was waiting for it to arrive, I had thought it over, didn't feel that it had a solid place in my rotation.
I decided I would return it when it arrived.

It arrived today and I immediately made my first mistake... I opened the box...
I was lured in by the brilliance of the stainless steel and the hands as they swung into position when the the light hit the dial.
Then I made another mistake... I tried it on

IMG_4123.jpg

I reached out for help and [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] told me it was overpowering on my wrist, [mention]AndroidIsAwesome[/mention] said it wasn't red enough :)

Convinced, I put it back in the box, drove to Macy's, brought it to the watch counter and proceeded to return it.
After making sure everything was in order, the lady at the watch counter looks elated and tells me that the price has come down and it is now $450... I was so tempted to buy the deal. Took a step back, thought about what [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] had said and told myself "It's too big for my wrist...", took my refund and walked away.

Moral of the story...
Stick to your convictions
Don't temp yourself
Don't buy the deal
Most importantly... Everyone here has your back. Thanks for having mine!
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Great story denormalize. Who would have thought we already had a WPCG working behind the scene!

Your advice is worth keeping in mind. I have a few watches that I purchased in order to see in the flesh and decide whether to keep or not. They are still in the box. Unless I am absolutely sure I want to "try" them after looking at them, they stay in the box to be looked at again another time(s). This only when I get a great deal thus not concerned about resale, not that I'm advising anyone to start flipping like this, otherwise it goes back right away though I very seldom do this unless it's blemished or outright don't like it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
VCheng
MoT Member

Re: Sticking to your convictions... with a little help from your friends

Post by VCheng »

denormalize wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:22 pm Last week I pulled the trigger on the deal I posted for the for the Casio G-Shock MT-G at Macy's.
While I was waiting for it to arrive, I had thought it over, didn't feel that it had a solid place in my rotation.
I decided I would return it when it arrived.

It arrived today and I immediately made my first mistake... I opened the box...
I was lured in by the brilliance of the stainless steel and the hands as they swung into position when the the light hit the dial.
Then I made another mistake... I tried it on

IMG_4123.jpg

I reached out for help and @TheJohnP told me it was overpowering on my wrist, @AndroidIsAwesome said it wasn't red enough :)

Convinced, I put it back in the box, drove to Macy's, brought it to the watch counter and proceeded to return it.
After making sure everything was in order, the lady at the watch counter looks elated and tells me that the price has come down and it is now $450... I was so tempted to buy the deal. Took a step back, thought about what @TheJohnP had said and told myself "It's too big for my wrist...", took my refund and walked away.

Moral of the story...
Stick to your convictions
Don't temp yourself
Don't buy the deal
Most importantly... Everyone here has your back. Thanks for having mine!
Meaning story and good job!
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:44 am I feel like I belong in here because I have stupid spending habits on watches lol. I'll go weeks without buying anything then suddenly in 1 week I'll buy like 5 watches in one go. This hobby is a wild ride [emoji41] Trying super hard to resist any more purchases until 2021 and I am trying to sell my older watches now, so I guess that's a start.
I feel your pain, or should I say I know it all too well.

About a couple months ago I started to half plan half hope to abstain from purchases until the upcoming holiday shopping season Nov-Dec, then this happened within a span of two weeks:

and this

and this

and …

Lest anyone get a remote inkling that I am starting out as a total and complete train wreck, deals come when they come and these were on the agenda for a while. The watch enthusiast avid bargain hunter that I am, I try to be prepared and ready to pounce whenever a sought after deal appears. It would be nice if deals appeared on our timeline, nicely spread out and when we want them, but alas, this is seldom the case.

The relevant question here is how to disengage or pause after a predetermine number of purchases or expenditure amount. Thinking back to past experience:

1 The deals dry up, but that's really not doing anything about it.
2 Set a rock solid predetermined expenditure amount for a period of time, wishy-washy doesn't work.
3 Become occupied with something else, no time to look for watches. Easier when circumstances dictate, harder when it takes some will power and you are going through a full-on “watch phase”.
4 Purchase fatigue, you don't want to go there.
5 Only search for one or two specific models that will satisfy the need once found. Don't wander.

What are your experiences? What helps you?
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

PetWatch wrote:
AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:44 am I feel like I belong in here because I have stupid spending habits on watches lol. I'll go weeks without buying anything then suddenly in 1 week I'll buy like 5 watches in one go. This hobby is a wild ride [emoji41] Trying super hard to resist any more purchases until 2021 and I am trying to sell my older watches now, so I guess that's a start.

About a couple months ago I started to half plan half hope to abstain from purchases until the upcoming holiday shopping season Nov-Dec, then this happened within a span of two weeks:

and this

and this

and …

Lest anyone get a remote inkling that I am starting out as a total and complete train wreck, deals come when they come and these were on the agenda for a while. The watch enthusiast avid bargain hunter that I am, I try to be prepared and ready to pounce whenever a sought after deal appears. It would be nice if deals appeared on our timeline, nicely spread out and when we want them, but alas, this is seldom the case.

The relevant question here is how to disengage or pause after a predetermine number of purchases or expenditure amount. Thinking back to past experience:

2 Set a rock solid predetermined expenditure amount for a period of time, wishy-washy doesn't work.
3 Become occupied with something else, no time to look for watches. Easier when circumstances dictate, harder when it takes some will power and you are going through a full-on “watch phase”.
5 Only search for one or two specific models that will satisfy the need once found. Don't wander.

Having an empty wallet definitely helps me resist buying [emoji23]

Well for me basically I have a running list in my head going back about 5 years now of watches I see and think "yeah I'll buy that if I find a deal to try out" which is usually where my impulse buys come from. Then there's a second list in my head of must haves which is much smaller by comparison. These would be the watches I know I would enjoy even without seeing them in person (like the Kontiki I just got, or my sbgx085 etc). They tend to fit more in the "keepers" category of my collection.

Then there's the dreaded third way I will buy a watch. These are the watches I have never had an interest in before, until a wild deal pops up on it and everyone around me is buying into it so I get serious Fear Of Missing Out and jump on the hype train. Perfect example - the Codek Spiral. I bought one because it's a good watch and smoking deal. But I never wear it ever at least never in the past year.

So this year I've made a serious effort to really think about a watch before buying it. I have a defined set of standards I look for in watches now, things that I've come to like over the years of collecting like case size, case shape, handset, polishing/brushing, brand, movement, used/new etc. This has at least given me a better idea on if I should be buying those "impulse" watches. I have no idea if anything I just typed made any sense but I'm posting it anyways damnit
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:16 pm
PetWatch wrote:

and this

and this

and …

Well for me basically I have a running list in my head going back about 5 years now of watches I see and think "yeah I'll buy that if I find a deal to try out" which is usually where my impulse buys come from. Then there's a second list in my head of must haves which is much smaller by comparison. These would be the watches I know I would enjoy even without seeing them in person (like the Kontiki I just got, or my sbgx085 etc). They tend to fit more in the "keepers" category of my collection.

Then there's the dreaded third way I will buy a watch. These are the watches I have never had an interest in before, until a wild deal pops up on it and everyone around me is buying into it so I get serious Fear Of Missing Out and jump on the hype train. Perfect example - the Codek Spiral. I bought one because it's a good watch and smoking deal. But I never wear it ever at least never in the past year.

So this year I've made a serious effort to really think about a watch before buying it. I have a defined set of standards I look for in watches now, things that I've come to like over the years of collecting like case size, case shape, handset, polishing/brushing, brand, movement, used/new etc. This has at least given me a better idea on if I should be buying those "impulse" watches. I have no idea if anything I just typed made any sense but I'm posting it anyways damnit
Definitely makes good sense.

Haha, I still have one of those Codek in a box somewhere, tried it, didn't care for it. It looks much better on a bracelet so I got one for it some months back, have yet to try it out. This will determine keep or flip for me.

Certainly have to be selective, the more the better I think within reason. My problem is I am still too prone to trying out too many of what I call 2nd and 3rd tier watches, as in in not the prime desirable ones that will mostly be keepers as you mentioned. These less desirable one's seldom work out. Then there's the hyped deals like the current Victorinox Airboss at TJMaxx, haven't found one yet but I am still looking for this 3rd tier "deal" that I know based on certain particular qualities that it will almost certainly not stay. I usually buy these if I find them somewhat interesting and to experience different models with minimal risk of $ loss. I also have to be in one of those watch purchasing phases, otherwise I can usually abstain without too much effort.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I find a good question to ask myself about any deal I see is "Do I actually like the watch? Or do I just want a new watch?". Very often it's the latter. I feel that craving for something new pretty strongly, but I know that unless I really, honestly like the watch a lot I'm going to feel regret immediately after the high of hitting the "buy" button.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Very seldom do I get buyers remorse. Typically it's a case of liking the watch with some reservations about, this keeps it from being sufficiently attractive to be considered highly sought. I could easily pass unless a great deal comes along at the right time to tempt me to try it.

Like that Victorinox at TJMaxx I mentioned, it has a few qualities that I don't care for, yet at that price I'm willing to give it a chance to surprise me, unlikely though it may be. A completely frivolous purchase but a considered one.

VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:16 pm
PetWatch wrote:

and this

and this

and …

Well said about the third way which so many ppl flooding to the wild deal is just enabling. It is actually a satisfaction of getting a super bargain in stead of a watch you want for most of the time. To resist, i just convince myself that there will be wild deals anyway, its meaningless to get a watch you wont wear or enjoy, you just lose money not saving. I agree with [mention]PetWatch[/mention] , focus on the watches you want on the list.
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

cortman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:28 am I find a good question to ask myself about any deal I see is "Do I actually like the watch? Or do I just want a new watch?". Very often it's the latter. I feel that craving for something new pretty strongly, but I know that unless I really, honestly like the watch a lot I'm going to feel regret immediately after the high of hitting the "buy" button.
Absolutely, the satisfaction of getting a new watch is a short time pleasure, probably a few weeks when you are waiting for the delivery or even just a few days. You may regret immediately when you are doing the unboxing. However, getting a watch you want, the satisfaction is long term.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I avoid the deals thread. I have also been known to delete the eBay app from time to time.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Sporkboy wrote:I avoid the deals thread. I have also been known to delete the eBay app from time to time.
The deals thread and watch shopping sites will put anyone's purchase control to the test, or simply shred it to pieces, shiny wrist pieces.

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

PetWatch wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:18 pm
Sporkboy wrote:I avoid the deals thread. I have also been known to delete the eBay app from time to time.
The deals thread and watch shopping sites will put anyone's purchase control to the test, or simply shred it to pieces, shiny wrist pieces.

I feel the opposite. Obviously with my deal posting output.

But the more deals I share, the more chances I won't be tempted to purchase, since someone else will jump in and buy beforehand.
I take advantage of maybe a tiny handful of the deals I post.
Has been very easy to post the deal I might have my eye on in the thread, so it disappears quickly.

That's something that has been working for me.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

TheJohnP wrote:
PetWatch wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:18 pm

I feel the opposite. Obviously with my deal posting output.

But the more deals I share, the more chances I won't be tempted to purchase, since someone else will jump in and buy beforehand.
I take advantage of maybe a tiny handful of the deals I post.
Has been very easy to post the deal I might have my eye on in the thread, so it disappears quickly.

That's something that has been working for me.
I won't try to dissect that, what's important is to find an approach that works for the individual. You're in a special position at the moment as the Deals Champion, glad you can keep it sensible.