We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Watch Purchase Control Group (WPCG)

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
cheddar
MoT Member

Re: Watch Purchase Control Group (WPCG)

Post by cheddar »

Great thread; great stories and thoughts shared on here.

I think what a lot of folks have found, and will continue to find, is that this is a process. Some folks have to spend more time on parts of it than others. And some settle in to a particular part that works for them.

One thing that always got me hot under the collar was someone telling me “don’t buy the deal” or “sounds like you’re buying the deal, so don’t.” Buying the deal was the way I got to experience a lot of things I wouldn’t have tried otherwise. Some worked out; more didn’t. But go ahead and step right on off telling me how to spend my money, or telling me I deserved a bad buying experience because I didn’t “really want” the watch.

What ultimately slowed my buying was getting more into learning about horology, as some have mentioned. The HSNY lectures available on YouTube are a great source for this. So many watch podcasts are more focused on what you may want to buy next, but learning about the underlying technology and history from the HSNY lectures, for me at least, have helped focus.

The other thing is selling. I actually enjoy it, but it does bring its own stressors. So finding the number I’m comfortable with and adhering to kind of a “one in one out,” knowing I’ll need to sell, kind of brings an equilibrium to my collecting that it didn’t have before. I also think it’s helped improve the overall approach of my collection.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I really have an urge to pick up an Oris Sixty-Five Divers, but I also want to save up for something else like a JLC Reverso. I don't know where I want to go with my collection. There are a bunch of watches in the several hundred dollars range that I want to get, but I'm not sure how much I would wear them. I'm at around 50 watches and it's my upper limit, but there aren't many that I want to part with even if I don't wear them all too often. I feel like I'm stuck in my collecting right now and not sure where to go.
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

Stretch44 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:55 pm I really have an urge to pick up an Oris Sixty-Five Divers, but I also want to save up for something else like a JLC Reverso. I don't know where I want to go with my collection. There are a bunch of watches in the several hundred dollars range that I want to get, but I'm not sure how much I would wear them. I'm at around 50 watches and it's my upper limit, but there aren't many that I want to part with even if I don't wear them all too often. I feel like I'm stuck in my collecting right now and not sure where to go.
I know how you feel regarding parting with the watches. There are some that I basically never wear... ever. But I just can't bring myself to sell them. And then there are some that I see and really really want, but then end up not loving them. Except for a couple impulse buys I have been trying to wait at least 2 weeks after I see something and get that urge to buy, and if I still like it after 2 weeks I'll feel better about going for it. So far that's kept me from buying one of those Vario kickstarter watches, even though I'll admit I'm still really liking them...
Scruffy believes in this forum
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

Stretch44 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:55 pm I really have an urge to pick up an Oris Sixty-Five Divers, but I also want to save up for something else like a JLC Reverso. I don't know where I want to go with my collection. There are a bunch of watches in the several hundred dollars range that I want to get, but I'm not sure how much I would wear them. I'm at around 50 watches and it's my upper limit, but there aren't many that I want to part with even if I don't wear them all too often. I feel like I'm stuck in my collecting right now and not sure where to go.
I absolutely understand your feeling and situation. My experience is try to compare the watches with similarities in your collection, try to pick one or two in the same category to sell, e.g. same color way, similar look. Overall, try to be more rational and you may find the way. Cheers.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Stretch44 wrote:I really have an urge to pick up an Oris Sixty-Five Divers, but I also want to save up for something else like a JLC Reverso. I don't know where I want to go with my collection. There are a bunch of watches in the several hundred dollars range that I want to get, but I'm not sure how much I would wear them. I'm at around 50 watches and it's my upper limit, but there aren't many that I want to part with even if I don't wear them all too often. I feel like I'm stuck in my collecting right now and not sure where to go.
I have compartmentalized my collection into vintage, doesn't matter if or how often it's worn. All others are wearabless, sub categorized into core, main long term keepers of interest, others are dress, casual, sporty, tool, and beaters. Worn length and frequency vary and it helps me evaluate which I may want to expand, replace or contract.

One more category is trials, which has become the entry point to the collection for any new purchase. It's an evaluation period thus easier to discard. Entry expectations vary but there is less emphasis on a set mindset to keep.

Sometimes hard decisions have to be made. I find that once I assess and prioritize, however unpalatable at the time, I move on without regret.

Hope you find some of this useful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

PetWatch wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:43 pm
Stretch44 wrote:I really have an urge to pick up an Oris Sixty-Five Divers, but I also want to save up for something else like a JLC Reverso. I don't know where I want to go with my collection. There are a bunch of watches in the several hundred dollars range that I want to get, but I'm not sure how much I would wear them. I'm at around 50 watches and it's my upper limit, but there aren't many that I want to part with even if I don't wear them all too often. I feel like I'm stuck in my collecting right now and not sure where to go.
I have compartmentalized my collection into vintage, doesn't matter if or how often it's worn. All others are wearabless, sub categorized into core, main long term keepers of interest, others are dress, casual, sporty, tool, and beaters. Worn length and frequency vary and it helps me evaluate which I may want to expand, replace or contract.

One more category is trials, which has become the entry point to the collection for any new purchase. It's an evaluation period thus easier to discard. Entry expectations vary but there is less emphasis on a set mindset to keep.

Sometimes hard decisions have to be made. I find that once I assess and prioritize, however unpalatable at the time, I move on without regret.

Hope you find some of this useful.

This is fantastic. I think it I'm gonna make an excel sheet! Thanks for the idea.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Just don't fall into the trap of having 50 watches per category. :) I use my wearing habits as a form of brake to limit quantity. I like to wear my regular rotation watches from several days to a full week, and at least several times a year, which means more limited numbers than other options. I have kept things stable for several years at aprox. 7-14. Recently, I increased it to 21 and a faster rotation. Wanted more variety for now. I like to think that a slower rotation gives the existing collection time to mature in a more considered stable manner, takes longer to get bored with any one watch since I don't wear them that often, it works for me. It usually feels good to have them back on the wrist. I let the attraction dictate how long they stay on the wrist, within reason, given the waiting list. It also aids as a means for a more comprehensive long term evaluation.

I use the trial collection as a means to keep watches coming and going to satisfy the desire for a new toys, but occasionally I run into trouble when I want to keep a few of these longer, hence the increase in numbers. So far I'm fine with the fairly recent change, its helped me to choose a few to cull to make room for some new one's.

Other collection size brakes include one in one out, works for some people, price limit, hard number setting were you must sell before any additional purchase, restrict similar category, as was mentioned. Whatever works on a personal level. Then there are the things we can do to restrict purchases, a waiting period, as mentioned, the longer the better, take a break from the hunt, set goals...
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

Can someone please spray me with a firehose to keep me from buying this Pikachu yellow casioak? I can see all of these casioak variants that are coming out turning into a "gotta catch em all" thing for me...

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

flypanam wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:48 am Can someone please spray me with a firehose to keep me from buying this Pikachu yellow casioak? I can see all of these casioak variants that are coming out turning into a "gotta catch em all" thing for me...

Uh, stop?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

flypanam wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:48 am Can someone please spray me with a firehose to keep me from buying this Pikachu yellow casioak? I can see all of these casioak variants that are coming out turning into a "gotta catch em all" thing for me...

Take a look at real photos, it's hard to make out what that yellow really looks like. Do you like bright plastic toy yellow? Is this the see me black out best of both worlds with the illegible digital display? Too bad the display can't play that trick. It would look better if it didn't have that yellow G-Shock protection on the bezel. Unless I get a crazy price on these casio oaks I am staying firm, but I do like them. The camo bezel one looks nice too but it also looks toyish to me. Could have been done better.

Stay away.

flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

TheJohnP wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:25 pm

Uh, stop?
PetWatch wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:51 pm

[img]<a class="vglnk" href="https://stockx.imgix.net/products/watch ... 1603481985[/img" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>stockx</span><span>.</span><span>imgix</span><span>.</span><span>net</span><span>/</span><span>products</span><span>/</span><span>watches</span><span>/</span><span>Casio</span><span>-</span><span>G</span><span>-</span><span>Shock</span><span>-</span><span>GA</span><span>-</span><span>2110SU</span><span>-</span><span>9A</span><span>-</span><span>Black</span><span>.</span><span>png</span><span>?</span><span>fit</span><span>=</span><span>fill</span><span>&</span><span>bg</span><span>=</span><span>FFFFFF</span><span>&</span><span>w</span><span>=</span><span>700</span><span>&</span><span>h</span><span>=</span><span>500</span><span>&</span><span>auto</span><span>=</span><span>format</span><span>,</span><span>compress</span><span>&</span><span>q</span><span>=</span><span>90</span><span>&</span><span>dpr</span><span>=</span><span>2</span><span>&</span><span>trim</span><span>=</span><span>color</span><span>&</span><span>updated</span><span>_</span><span>at</span><span>=</span><span>1603481985</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span></a>]
Take a look at real photos, it's hard to make out what that yellow really looks like. Do you like bright plastic toy yellow? Is this the see me black out best of both worlds with the illegible digital display? Too bad the display can't play that trick. It would look better if it didn't have that yellow G-Shock protection on the bezel. Unless I get a crazy price on these casio oaks I am staying firm, but I do like them. The camo bezel one looks nice too but it also looks toyish to me. Could have been done better.

Stay away.

[img]<a class="vglnk" href="[/img" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>i</span><span>.</span><span>imgur</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>WfAUxM2</span><span>.</span><span>jpg</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span></a>]

Exactly what I needed. Thank you. The one I have (2100THS-1AJR) is already the best Casioak anyway. The yellow does look like a toy watch.

On to the next temptation!
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

The Great Deals Season is upon us. This is the Super Bowl, World Cup, Olympics... for bargain hunting watch enthusiasts, where great deals may be gotten and unwanted regrettable purchases made.

I find that having a set plan can help avoid or reduce unncessary and unwanted purchases that will surely come along to tempt us. For me, it helps to write it down, explaining the reasons for the decision. I reread it several times if necessary as a form of reinforcement. Visualization techniques also help to prepare, it's akin to a substitute for actual experience, or more importantly the experience of success since I for one have lots of mixed results experience. It provides the memory reflex of having seen it before and the visualized planned response to it, as opposed to a heat of the moment reaction or a reaction to an unexpected situation.

Visualization involves imagining a scenerio, imagine a positive performance coping through a sequence of unfolding events resulting in a positive outcome. Search web for tips.

The more realistic a scenerio the better, specially utilizing critical details. No two scenerios are completely identical but often contain sufficient similarities to fairly adequately represent probable events.

Additionally, having an absolute waiting period, even as little as a day or two in which to evaluate any unpexpected, hyped deal, is essential to prevent later regrets. Sometimes this comes at the cost of missing out. Bottom line, you can't win them all. I just saved myself from a couple of these by holding out a couple days in which to clear the mind from the hype, the love at first sight gotta have it don't want to miss the great deal scenerio. This brief time allowed me to re-evaluate the watch and the deal several times in a more objective manner. It allowed me to see the unfavorable aspects, allowing the reasons for not making a purchase to surface, instead of a biased, sole concentration on the reasons to purchase that often takes place in moments like this.
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

Kind of sticking to the plan mentioned, just focus on those watches on your wish or to buy list that were discounted in the discount season, to resist side deals or impluse buy. That may help. Happy hunting.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

The 30% off at Timex is making me want to pull the trigger on the Mk1 mechanical. It would be $129, but something keeps telling me to not do it and hold out for a better deal.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Stretch44 wrote:The 30% off at Timex is making me want to pull the trigger on the Mk1 mechanical. It would be $129, but something keeps telling me to not do it and hold out for a better deal.
I have a similar dilemma, two Citizen GPS, one of which will be lower in a year or two if I can hold out. I'm waiting until BF to see if deals get any sweeter and hoping one is sold out before then. Also waiting to see what else comes up.