We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Vintage Watch and Accessory Deals

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
feltharg
MoT Member

Re: Vintage Watch and Accessory Deals

Post by feltharg »

Just to add to that - the vintage market is so much smaller compared to regular retail/New watch consumption.
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

feltharg wrote:Just to add to that - the vintage market is so much smaller compared to regular retail/New watch consumption.
Can you speak to this thought a little more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
feltharg
MoT Member

Post by feltharg »

well, my apologies for not having any hard numbers or data to support my thought, but i really do think that "normal" watch market for new watches (or recent models but slightly used) is uncomparable to what i would call vintage watch market. there is a vast variety of sellers selling brand new timepieces of different tiers and there are also many more potential buyers interested even in fine timepieces (eventhough they would not call themselves watch enthusiasts (and also they are not members of any forums :D)). on the other hand, vintage watch buyers would be mostly collectors, with some folks just interested in vintage watches in general. they have less places to buy from and "good deals" ussually happen offline (thrift stores etc). just think of how many of your friends who would consider buying a watch or wear any watch on their wrist would consider to buy vintage (there are some ppl who wear vintage because it was passed on to them).

one more thing to add, vintage watches are mostly unique - that means its rarely a "replacable warehouse space occupant". not typical consumer good, so less motivation to put it on "sale". if it has some significant value, the sellers are ussualy educated and they are not motivated to put it on sale under normal conditions because they most of the times speculate on value growth :). i hear many times "i would not buy used, because...." but also sometimes i hear "i would not buy vintage, because the filed is full of traps" (fake parts, lack of knowledge etc etc).

dont get me wrong, i am a huge vintage nut, i just wanted to add one more reason to "why there are not that many deals on vintage".

places to look at:
ebay (obviously). yeah its overcrowded and not that great place anymore, but if you are looking into a very specific model, have done your research and act fast, you can get lucky.

cragslist - people are now more motivated (sadly) to clear their drawers and monetize on old timepieces.

large sites like Touch of modern or therealreal (ive bought fine vintage omega and rolex watches there...) for extra codes or coupons. if you stack, it can move a nice vintage piece from "ovepriced" category into a MUST BUY category. btw i bought a vintage breitling chrono from GILT sale few years ago. it still had the original sticker on the back (i think they just threw it under the counter when the company went belly up in the 70s).

any offline stores, mid size luxury watch dealers ussualy buy in vintage so you can always make them an offer, they like cash. thrift stores, goodwill etc etc.

as with all vintage, research is key. know what you're looking for online and set your price targets. offline, know what you are looking at (just google it on the spot, ah, technology...).

pamper your trusted/local watchmaker. these watches need repairs. send him a bottle of fine wine for xmas :)
Rabirnie wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:09 am
feltharg wrote:Just to add to that - the vintage market is so much smaller compared to regular retail/New watch consumption.
Can you speak to this thought a little more?

HWA
MoT Member

Post by HWA »

Dunno. Every watch already made vs the new ones. Seems like you’re conflating marketplace with market. Even so, watchrecon and eBay and a zillion other online sites and aggregators. That’s a big marketplace, serving a big market!

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Somebody please buy some of these so I don’t (Especially the Accurist UFO):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sicura1/m.html ... 7675.l2562

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
WatchCraze

Post by WatchCraze »

watchpalooza wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:44 am Somebody please buy some of these so I don’t (Especially the Accurist UFO):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sicura1/m.html ... 7675.l2562
That Griffon is gorgeous, I love small second hands! Ugh... here we go lol.