We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Vintage Watch and Accessory Deals

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Vintage Watch and Accessory Deals

Post by watchpalooza »

A thread for members to share deals on vintage watches and watch-related items.
 ! Message from: FTE
Disclaimer: Posters of deals in this thread may have no affiliation or experience with the sellers, and any notes or representations made are purely their own opinions. Please make your own assessment of the item(s) and terms of sale (i.e., return policy, warranty, etc) before buying. Vintage purchases always come with a degree of uncertainty and the posters of deals here cannot be held accountable for certification of authenticity, condition or history of posted items, seller performance, nor the validity of claims made by sellers.

Some tips contributed by members to help you end up with a positive experience:
  1. Do your research. Know what you are buying and what to look for. If possible compare with original references, other sales, old watch catalogs, etc. Ask experienced members for opinions (and remember they are just that).
  2. Ask questions. Any good seller should be willing to answer them for you. Do not assume anything without explicit confirmation...wording can be misleading.
  3. Check the sellers, their reviews and their return policy.
  4. Look for obvious signs of redials, frankensteins or other vintage mashups with no real resale value (Some indicators: paint riding up on indices, wrong movement, lots of scratches on movement, dial that is too clean, wrong / different font on logos, “Swiss Made” out of place or off center, inconsistent spacing between dial markers)
  5. Request a picture of the movement and inside case back if not already included in the original listing
  6. Beware of listings claiming NOS (new old stock) as these are often frankens or mashups
  7. Be wary of watches labeled as “refurbished” as this usually means redial
  8. With vintage watches it is sometimes better to overpay for the “right” one, then to underpay for one that is not as as well-maintained. Long-term value and cost of maintenance typically outweigh the difference in purchase price.
  9. Always make an offer less than asking price. Even on listings where “Make an Offer” is not enabled, message the seller to ask if they will accept a lower amount. IMO this works 99% of the time.
Some practices I use for finding vintage watches online:
  • Search Term Generation - In my experience, the key to navigating the online marketplaces is knowing what you want and having a solid set of related cross-referenceable search terms. Here is my process for generating a pool of search terms:
    1. Begin by making a list in a spreadsheet of types / styles or historically significant classes of watches that are desired to add to the collection, being as specific as possible (e.g., Diver, Compressor, Military, WWII, Trench, Digital, Red LED, Valjoux, Racing, Panda,
    2. For each major type, add a list of brands and/or models that are of interest. I spend some time here and include brand (e.g., Citizen, Seiko, etc), model name and/or reference (if known), and perhaps year if I want a specific one.
    3. Add in any designations with brand-specific language (e.g., Compressor, Chronometer, Chronograph, Selfwinding, Automatique, etc), and any unique trademarks / nomenclature which are brand-specific and may appear on a watch to be used as search terms (e.g., Crystron, Cosmotron (Citizen), Astromaster (Buler), Ultra-Deep (Benrus), etc). In particular I look for words that appear on dials and case backs. An image search in Google is a good way to find these.
  • How to search - Using the example of Ebay, but most also apply at other online marketplaces
    1. Coming soon...
(Edited to expand disclaimer and member tips, and move deals to next post.)
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Vintage Watch and Accessory Deals

Post by watchpalooza »

To start, here are three vintage deals.

1) Vintage Timex Electronic with rotary phone-style dial - shipping out of Texas - Buy it now for $39
Note: Looks to be in very good condition, and a pretty unusual piece. Seller has over 1400 reviews with 100% positive feedback.
Background / History: https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.p ... ial-watch/
URL: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Timex- ... 7043!US!-1

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/04/27/VMxBw3.jpg[/img]
[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/04/27/VMxrr8.jpg[/img]

2) Vintage 1950s Benrus Men's Tank Caliber DM21 - shipping out of Pennsylvania - Buy it now for $40
Note: Looks to be in excellent condition and seller has over 4000 reviews with 100% positive feedback.
Background / History: http://www.thewatchguy.com/pages/BENRUS.html
URL: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Benrus ... Sw9VVco774

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/04/27/VM26d2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/04/27/VM2Zzb.jpg[/img]

3) Vintage Technos Goldshield manual wind A/S 2750 - shipping out of China - Buy it now for $60
Note: 37mm is a great size for vintage, case appears unpolished, looks all original. Seller over 1600 transactions with 97.8% positive feedback
Background / History: http://www.thefullwiki.org/Technos_(watches)
URL: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Swiss- ... SwRZ1a8Yid

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/04/27/VM2kfq.jpg[/img]
[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/04/27/VM22b6.jpg[/img]
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Vintage Watch Deals

Post by TheJohnP »

This is going to be a fun and interesting thread!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:34 pm This is going to be a fun and interesting thread!

I may have to block myself from being able to see it. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Good thread idea!

Maybe not vintage per se, but:

Timex quartz w/ alarm, indiglo and bonus Mercedes hand set. Pre-owned, so scrutinize closely. $35 OBO + $4 S&H, 30-day returns.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Timex-Ree ... 4211974749

[img]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hRgAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg[/img]
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Maybe a few ground rules:

1) Only sellers you've bought from in the past
2) Only sellers with a 100% worry free return policy
3) No redials, frankensteins or other vintage mashups with no real resale value

Just a thought
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

CVP33 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:36 pm Maybe a few ground rules:

Just a thought
I get where you are coming from, and don’t want to open up a debate...but I place no such restrictions here. Just as with the other deals thread, the buyer is reponsible for understanding the terms of the sale and whether it is a watch they want. By “deal”, I hope members will post watches that are to the best of their knowledge actually deals (i.e., collectible examples that are not obvious frankens or worthless)...but there may be a redial that is still a deal, or a watch from a seller on ebay, chrono24 etc that one has no personal experience buying from just as we do in the other thread. If any limitations are known, I would ask the poster to list them (also like we do in the other deals thread).
Click Icon To Contact Me

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

FTE wrote:
CVP33 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:36 pm Maybe a few ground rules:

Just a thought
I get where you are coming from, and don’t want to open up a debate...but I place no such restrictions here. Just as with the other deals thread, the buyer is reponsible for understanding the terms of the sale and whether it is a watch they want. By “deal”, I hope members will post watches that are to the best of their knowledge actually deals (i.e., collectible examples that are not obvious frankens or worthless)...but there may be a redial that is still a deal, or a watch from a seller on ebay, chrono24 etc that one has no personal experience buying from just as we do in the other thread. If any limitations are known, I would ask the poster to list them (also like we do in the other deals thread).
I agree with both of these sentiments. But coming from Russian watches, something that may be considered "Franken" by some, was just somebody trying to keep their watch running with what parts were available.

I agree that full disclosure should be a thing and if you can spot anything wrong, make it known. Sometimes a vintage watch with a replacement crown can still be a great deal.

I am looking forward to following this thread! I have a few vintage Omegas and Longines on my shortlist as well as a couple Russians(great condition original Sputnik and something with a 3133 to start).

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Just trying to protect newbies that see you two as the "experts" and once an item is posted, the perception that you, we, us are endorsing the seller, watch, etc. I have 4 sellers (Philippines, Thailand, Japan, Canada) that I use that are trustworthy. How do I know. Something went wrong with each of the watches and agreements were reached on all - some returned on their dime, very expensive overseas, some said "keep it" and gave me a full refund and some offered to pay whatever it cost to repair. Also understand that every transaction has risks.....they're just MUCH higher when dealing with vintage watches. I have 350 watches in my collection and I've owned over 1,200 in the last 7 years. Nothing worse that a fun watch becoming a nightmare purchase experience....I've had a few as a buyer and a seller.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I would say for this thread especially, members should chime in on posted deals if they spot something off or have prior experience with seller. Vintage collecting can benefit from a collective base of knowledge.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

CVP33 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:22 am Just trying to protect newbies that see you two as the "experts" and once an item is posted, the perception that you, we, us are endorsing the seller, watch, etc. I have 4 sellers (Philippines, Thailand, Japan, Canada) that I use that are trustworthy. How do I know. Something went wrong with each of the watches and agreements were reached on all - some returned on their dime, very expensive overseas, some said "keep it" and gave me a full refund and some offered to pay whatever it cost to repair. Also understand that every transaction has risks.....they're just MUCH higher when dealing with vintage watches. I have 350 watches in my collection and I've owned over 1,200 in the last 7 years. Nothing worse that a fun watch becoming a nightmare purchase experience....I've had a few as a buyer and a seller.
All fair points, and as I said I completely get where you’re coming from. My hope is that a number of members will start posting deals here (not just the two of us), and as JohnP states our community gets a chance to weigh in on them. Some of the best vintage watch deals come from private parties who may be one-time watch sellers, and not the large online vintage watch resellers....I do not want to exclude these as potential sources for deals. I also would like the focus of the thread to be on individual watch deals and not be in the business of certifying sellers. We already have deal report and good/bad seller threads for that. That being said, I certainly do not want to mislead anybody into a false sense of buying security.

Perhaps the question to answer is how best to word the disclaimer in the OP to make the risks more clear? I have made a first attempt.
Click Icon To Contact Me

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

One thing I've learned buying used is to contact the seller with questions. Obvious, I know, but having come from the 'buy it now' experience at online retailers it didn't occur to me at first. Now I try to ask questions that shouldn't even need asked. I try to assume the worst about the watch and then put the seller in a position to defend it.

For example, I spotted an attractive used listing on eBay but the seller didn't take returns. So I asked: how is the timekeeping? Does the alarm work? The answer came back: he didn't know and hadn't owned it long. So I pressed him: would he take it back if it didn't work? He replied: it's sold as is. Big pass.

I think of these emails and the listing information as the basis of any future dispute that might arise.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:19 am One thing I've learned buying used is to contact the seller with questions. Obvious, I know, but having come from the 'buy it now' experience at online retailers it didn't occur to me at first. Now I try to ask questions that shouldn't even need asked. I try to assume the worst about the watch and then put the seller in a position to defend it.

For example, I spotted an attractive used listing on eBay but the seller didn't take returns. So I asked: how is the timekeeping? Does the alarm work? The answer came back: he didn't know and hadn't owned it long. So I pressed him: would he take it back if it didn't work? He replied: it's sold as is. Big pass.

I think of these emails and the listing information as the basis of any future dispute that might arise.
Great advice! I have added a “member tips” section to the OP to help make this and other valuable advice posted here visible.
Click Icon To Contact Me

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

FTE wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am
BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:19 am One thing I've learned buying used is to contact the seller with questions. Obvious, I know, but having come from the 'buy it now' experience at online retailers it didn't occur to me at first. Now I try to ask questions that shouldn't even need asked. I try to assume the worst about the watch and then put the seller in a position to defend it.

Great advice! I have added a “member tips” section to the OP to help make this and other valuable advice posted here visible.
Cool! Try the 'alert message' tag for this -- it's the [img]ext/vse/abbc3/images/icons/mod.gif[/img] in the toolbar. Maybe too strong for the job, but it's useful for asides.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:32 am
FTE wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am

Cool! Try the 'alert message' tag for this -- it's the [img]ext/vse/abbc3/images/icons/mod.gif[/img] in the toolbar. Maybe too strong for the job, but it's useful for asides.
Gave it a try...what do you think?
Click Icon To Contact Me