We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Movie recommendation: The Watchmaker's Apprentice

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
cheddar
MoT Member

Movie recommendation: The Watchmaker's Apprentice

Post by cheddar »

I had stumbled across this a couple of months ago and had added it to my to-watch list. Last night I finally did. It's just over an hour long, and basically is a documentary tells the story of how George Daniels took on Roger Smith as an apprentice. You get some nice looks at some of their watches and the workshops, but it really is centered on the story. I didn't know much about either one of them, so it was nice to learn more (and fit in well with my paced reading of [mention]sistem_32[/mention]'s Haute Horlogerie thread).

One thing I really liked was Daniels' philosophy on what a good watch should do and the importance of finish. This from a man who invented the most important movement mechanism in a couple of hundred years. So often we get fixated on movements when we talk watch value; it was nice to be reminded of the importance of dial and case finishing. Also amazing to hear about the time and effort required to hand-make a watch.

Anyway, I think most folks here would enjoy watching it. It's currently available on YouTube for free, or for a couple of bucks through most other streaming services.
sistem_32
MoT Member

Re: Movie recommendation: The Watchmaker's Apprentice

Post by sistem_32 »

Very interesting! Another good watch is a half-hour documentary on Daniels' work, including his relationship with Sotheby's and the City of London, called A Man of Time and filmed while he was still in his most active years.

And if you really want to go crazy, here's an 85 part interview with Daniels in his later life. It includes some interesting insights.