As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

$35 Mechanical Field Watch Challenge

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: $35 Mechanical Field Watch Challenge

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:46 pm
watchpalooza wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:31 am
Thank you PetWatch, I appreciate your knowledge on the matter.

It is getting complicated exploring this situation. I believe the $35USD or rough equivalent (exclusive of taxes/shipping/duties/bribes to local officials) has worked well for the first challenge, so we will stick with it for now.

As for the $35 or $36 limit, the purpose is to give a bit of flexibility if something is just over the limit. If we change it to a hard limit of $36 then We lose the flexibility when someone goes just over $36, at which point we could just have no limit at all. The $35 and no more than $1 over rule will stand as written.
So is it $35 USD, or $35 local currency?
$35 USD or however much of your local currency that $35 USD will buy.
Ok so it’s $35 USD, no adjustment. You may as well leave it then the way you posted originally, since this change actually lowers the allowable spend and could invalidate purchases already made by participants (e.g., from €33 down to €32).
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:22 am ...

Field Watch Defined
-Arabic numerals on all or most of the hour indexes
[mention]Sporkboy[/mention]: to clarify, by "most" do you mean six or more? I was re-reading the rules, and I guess I mis-read this the first time. I bookmarked some attractive candidates (or so I thought) that have numerals only at 3, 6, 9 and 12. Thanks.

This dial resembles some of the listings I found w/ only four Arabic numerals:
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Tue May 26, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Let me get clarification from Animal Mother on that. I was taking it to be more than 6. Certainly 4 would be too few. So a Rolex Explorer doesn’t count for this challenge, though if you find a $35 Rolex Explorer I then I will make an exception for that and you automatically win.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Let's not get tied up in discussing and debating the minutiae of this challenge.

[mention]Sporkboy[/mention] set the guidelines for it, and as he is the final arbiter of the entries, I suggest everyone who wants to participate follow the spirit of them to the best of their ability.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

For the purposes of this challenge, a field watch shall have 6 or more Arabic numeral indices.

If someone submits a watch that you believe is not in the spirit of the guidelines the best thing to do is to not vote for it.

Sporkboy has spoken.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

As I browse auctions I can't help but imagine that some of those bidders are fellow "challengers." It will be interesting to see if I recognize any of the submissions, later, from my browsing.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 am For the purposes of this challenge, a field watch shall have 6 or more Arabic numeral indices.

If someone submits a watch that you believe is not in the spirit of the guidelines the best thing to do is to not vote for it.

Sporkboy has spoken.
I think the best course of action is to reference your original post outlining this challenge as it stands now, and refrain from editing it further.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough and I fear we are drifting in to enemy territory.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 am For the purposes of this challenge, a field watch shall have 6 or more Arabic numeral indices.

Sporkboy has spoken.
I think the best course of action is to reference your original post outlining this challenge as it stands now, and refrain from editing it further.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough and I fear we are drifting in to enemy territory.
Agreed.
Halaku
MoT Member

Post by Halaku »

I might have something to enter .. finally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Enjoyed watching the last minute sniping on an eBay listing. Interesting how one user (2***5) carried the torch to the end, but then some spectator (a***6) swooped in at the last second (t-3 sec) to snatch the deal. This watch doesn't qualify for the challenge, but it's pretty cool.

(The timestamps are funny because of auto-bidding. I guess the given time is when the max bid was first placed.)
sniping.png
sniping.png (59.53 KiB) Viewed 7757 times
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

BostonCharlie wrote:Enjoyed watching the last minute sniping on an eBay listing. Interesting how one user (2***5) carried the torch to the end, but then some spectator (a***6) swooped in at the last second (t-3 sec) to snatch the deal. This watch doesn't qualify for the challenge, but it's pretty cool.

(The timestamps are funny because of auto-bidding. I guess the given time is when the max bid was first placed.)
sniping.png
I’m digging the Gruen! Great pick up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Rabirnie wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:36 pm
BostonCharlie wrote:Enjoyed watching the last minute sniping on an eBay listing. Interesting how one user (2***5) carried the torch to the end, but then some spectator (a***6) swooped in at the last second (t-3 sec) to snatch the deal. This watch doesn't qualify for the challenge, but it's pretty cool.

sniping.png
I’m digging the Gruen! Great pick up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is very cool, but I wasn't bidding. I confess that I wrestle with myself as I look at all these watches. When it gets really bad I visit my watch box to remind myself of all the cool watches I already have.

At the end of that auction I could imagine the victorious buyer fist-pumping while the out-sniped bidders muttered curses.
aeroman5
MoT Member

Post by aeroman5 »

I'm in as well.

What is the voting criteria? Best deal/best looking etc.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Each person voting will pick their favorite entry. This choice could be for any reason.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Not being a big eBay buyer, I've been working on my browsing strategies. For example, I finally figured out that auctions are best ordered by 'ends soonest' where Buy It Now is best ordered by 'new listings.'

For the purpose of the challenge, I've settled into the idea that instead of being a competitor I am now equipping myself to be an informed voter. :-)