We're Moving!

Click for more info.

$35 Mechanical Field Watch Challenge

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: $35 Mechanical Field Watch Challenge

Post by TheJohnP »

Me after seeing [mention]watchpalooza[/mention]'s entry

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

TheJohnP wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:10 pm Me after seeing @watchpalooza's entry

At least I was sitting down :lol:.

[mention]watchpalooza[/mention] just does not disappoint....ever! That is a fantastic watch.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

There is just one more day to get your entries in. I will close this for entries tomorrow night at midnight EST.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Due to an unreliable local seller, TinPusher is tapping out of this challenge.

We should have 1-2 more entries before the day is done.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

My parts aren't in from overseas yet, so I'll have to post an honorable mention.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Rabirnie
MoT Member

$35 Mechanical Field Watch Challenge

Post by Rabirnie »

Overall Picture of Watch Goes Here

Watch Make/Model//Reference:
Milber Watch Co
Why You Picked it For This Challenge: the quintessential field watch style with syringe hands, red second hand, legible dial, and a decently running manual wind movement. Truth be told, with a 2nd kid on the way/newly arrived my ability to research and bid on candidates was a pipe dream. Cometh the hour, cometh the man [mention]BostonCharlie[/mention] steps up and sends me links to various potential candidates! I settled on this one from Milber, but didn’t realize it would be quite this small based on the listing. I still enjoy the watch and think it will be fun to work into the rotation.
Cost: $20 + $6.14 for shipping/taxes = $26.14
Purchase Listing:

Maintenance/Repairs Done (if any): in the process of cleaning up the acrylic crystal, will eventually swap out the strap and clean up the case
Watch Details (dimensions, movement, features, etc.): 32mm diameter, 11mm thick, running an AS 1158 at about -8 sec/day
Additional Pictures Go Here
ImageImage
Halaku
MoT Member

Post by Halaku »

My Apologies for the last minute entry . My three day travel plan has turned into a couple of weeks . Had to ask my wife to snap some pics of my field watch entry . Sorry but she couldnt get the case back off . Anyways here it goes . It runs and keeps great time .

Found it on the bay , i have a feeling its missing the seconds hand. I have been unable to do some research on it due to lack of time but rest assured i will be digging deeper soon .

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

That closes out the entries giving us an even dozen entries from which to choose.

Thank you all for participating in this challenge. It has been a lot of fun to see not only the entries, but the process and thoughts behind the choices. This thread would have been nothing without you, so I send you my deepest thanks for making it a fun and engaging challenge.

To better facilitate voting this time around, I have created a summary thread that includes all of the entries in a single post with links to the full entries. This is also where you will find the link to the ballot. Voting is live and closes in one week, so go on and vote already! viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1904
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Thanks again, Sporkboy! I had a great time, and it wouldn't have happened without your initiative and work.

I really expected to see at least one Timex camper or sprite submitted, like this one that sold for $27.52 (incl. free shipping):

Although Peskydonut's entry is pretty close.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

BostonCharlie wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:53 pm Thanks again, Sporkboy! I had a great time, and it wouldn't have happened without your initiative and work.

I really expected to see at least one Timex camper or sprite submitted, like this one that sold for $27.52 (incl. free shipping):

I was seriously looking at this Cub Scouts edition Timex, but it was $45.
And once I found that Eska, I didn't want to try to negotiate on the price.

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

BostonCharlie wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:53 pm Thanks again, Sporkboy! I had a great time, and it wouldn't have happened without your initiative and work.

I bought a Camper right before the challenge started. On original strap, and for less than $35 too.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

ManOnTime wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:19 pm

I bought a Camper right before the challenge started. On original strap, and for less than $35 too.
I'm glad about the timing, though, otherwise you might not have been on the lookout for that sweet Roamer you found.

FWIW, I'd mentioned an auction that the seller pulled after going into the final 24 hours with no bids (starting bid: $25). The seller re-listed within days and it ended up getting bid up to $81 with plenty of early action. The listing was identical, as far as I can tell. Just kind of interesting. Update to suggest that maybe the seller went in for one of eBay's paid placement upgrades the second time around.

It was a another Timex:

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

peskydonut wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:46 pm First off, let me say that this thing can't hold a candle to the entries shown so far.

This damn watch put me through the ringer. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I polished the heck out of the crystal (twice!) before realizing that what I was seeing wasn't scratches, but a ton of dust and lint under the crystal. Not to worry, I have a Jaxa wrench and rodico.

I then spent the next 2 hours sweating, grunting, and swearing, trying to get the damn thing open. At several points I nearly took a hammer to it. The caseback would barely turn, but never loosened. I put a ton of gouges on the back, but eventually had to walk away and move on with my life.

The watch is pretty small at 34mm, 41mm L2L, 18mm lugs. It runs and sets fine, but unfortunately the caseback now looks it was on the wrong side of a porcupine in heat.

I will leave you with some photos, dust and all.

Movement shot from the eBay listing

PIF Offer
At this point, I just need this watch out of my life. Please DM if you're interested in giving it a home. I can ship CONUS at my expense, but can also ship internationally if you want to throw a few bucks to cover the difference. By the way, in case offering up this watch disqualifies the entry, I'm quite alright with it.
Sorry to raise the dead, but I just came across a quartz twin of my entry...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154146942818

Living a comeback montage.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

peskydonut wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:42 pm
peskydonut wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:46 pm First off, let me say that this thing can't hold a candle to the entries shown so far.

This damn watch put me through the ringer. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I polished the heck out of the crystal (twice!) before realizing that what I was seeing wasn't scratches, but a ton of dust and lint under the crystal. Not to worry, I have a Jaxa wrench and rodico.

I then spent the next 2 hours sweating, grunting, and swearing, trying to get the damn thing open. At several points I nearly took a hammer to it. The caseback would barely turn, but never loosened. I put a ton of gouges on the back, but eventually had to walk away and move on with my life.

The watch is pretty small at 34mm, 41mm L2L, 18mm lugs. It runs and sets fine, but unfortunately the caseback now looks it was on the wrong side of a porcupine in heat.

I will leave you with some photos, dust and all.

Movement shot from the eBay listing

PIF Offer
At this point, I just need this watch out of my life. Please DM if you're interested in giving it a home. I can ship CONUS at my expense, but can also ship internationally if you want to throw a few bucks to cover the difference. By the way, in case offering up this watch disqualifies the entry, I'm quite alright with it.
Sorry to raise the dead, but I just came across a quartz twin of my entry...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154146942818

This is the watch young John Connor wears in Terminator 2.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody