We're Moving!

Click for more info.

August 2020 Watch Fast

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Re: August 2020 Watch Fast

Post by Animal Mother »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:16 pm I have been interested in one of these 24hr movements. Are you using the tail on the hour hand trick? One of my only gripes with my Airman No. 1 is that there is not a lot of contrast between the hands and dial, but I think the tail (which is useless on a 12hr movement) show better on the light dial than on the darker dial.
I was going to buy the Airman No.1 but the lack of contrast (I think my colourblindness makes it worse) between hands and dial is the reason why I didn't buy it.

I use the main part of the hands rather than using the tail trick. Mainly because it's easy to see. Just got to get used to reading the watch. It's not too difficult.
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Checking in as still compliant here at the one week mark. Learning lots about this piece and I find (surprisingly) that the challenge got a bit easier after the first 3-4 days. I’m keeping notes about the things I’m learning and plan to put them all into a wrap-up post after the challenge.

This thing has never been off the bracelet, and I wanted to keep it that way for week 1, but the spring bar tools are coming out in week 2! More to come...

Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

"The Chief" and the "The Cooler King". A great combination for a chilled Saturday.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

recapt wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:14 am Checking in as still compliant here at the one week mark. Learning lots about this piece and I find (surprisingly) that the challenge got a bit easier after the first 3-4 days. I’m keeping notes about the things I’m learning and plan to put them all into a wrap-up post after the challenge.

This thing has never been off the bracelet, and I wanted to keep it that way for week 1, but the spring bar tools are coming out in week 2! More to come...

For me, there is a lot to like about this watch. I am glad it is out of my budget though, because I am already full up on watches. Maybe this is that feeling of consolidating a collection that I hear creeps in after a while.

I am guessing that it has a pretty short L2L even though it is a bit larger than I generally like. If there was a 38mm version then I might be doomed.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Welp, I lasted for 7Days.

Good luck to the rest of the contenders.
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Sporkboy wrote:
recapt wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:14 am Checking in as still compliant here at the one week mark. Learning lots about this piece and I find (surprisingly) that the challenge got a bit easier after the first 3-4 days. I’m keeping notes about the things I’m learning and plan to put them all into a wrap-up post after the challenge.

For me, there is a lot to like about this watch. I am glad it is out of my budget though, because I am already full up on watches. Maybe this is that feeling of consolidating a collection that I hear creeps in after a while.

I am guessing that it has a pretty short L2L even though it is a bit larger than I generally like. If there was a 38mm version then I might be doomed.
My calipers show a 39.5mm case width but I think it wears more like a 38 due to the bezel, the thinness (12mm including a slight dome), and the short lug-to-lug as you suspected (only 45mm). That’s actually been one of my takeaways so far... a sub 40mm watch with a sub 46mm lug-to-lug is my ideal.

I’m also entering a consolidation phase right now but this one is staying put!
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

whoagorgeous wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:29 pm Welp, I lasted for 7Days.

Good luck to the rest of the contenders.
That was a superb effort [mention]whoagorgeous[/mention]
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Sporting the $5 silicone band from Sierra I posted in the Other Deals thread (here). It isn’t beautiful, but it is comfortable. A smaller size might fit better, but for five bucks I am happy (this one is size 9 fwiw). I’m also wearing my dog walking accessory.

29DD11DE-1B85-4711-9FEB-9C8CB68A2F35.jpeg
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

recapt wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:35 pm
Sporkboy wrote:

My calipers show a 39.5mm case width but I think it wears more like a 38 due to the bezel, the thinness (12mm including a slight dome), and the short lug-to-lug as you suspected (only 45mm). That’s actually been one of my takeaways so far... a sub 40mm watch with a sub 46mm lug-to-lug is my ideal.

Damn it. That sounds perfect. What is your wrist size?
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Congratulations to everyone who has made it a week into this challenge. As one of my coaches used to say, "we can measure your strength and your speed but the one thing we cannot measure is your intestinal fortitude." Every coach has a couple of big words that they like to toss in to motivational speeches....his was "intestinal fortitude." :lol: But I digress. Also, a hearty congrats to anyone who broke down an ordered a grail a few days into the challenge.
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Sporkboy wrote:
recapt wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:35 pm
Sporkboy wrote: For me, there is a lot to like about this watch. I am glad it is out of my budget though, because I am already full up on watches. Maybe this is that feeling of consolidating a collection that I hear creeps in after a while.

Damn it. That sounds perfect. What is your wrist size?
6.25”
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Split-Time wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:40 pm Congratulations to everyone who has made it a week into this challenge. As one of my coaches used to say, "we can measure your strength and your speed but the one thing we cannot measure is your intestinal fortitude." Every coach has a couple of big words that they like to toss in to motivational speeches....his was "intestinal fortitude." :lol: But I digress. Also, a hearty congrats to anyone who broke down an ordered a grail a few days into the challenge.
Haha I resemble that remark :lol: I'll be restarting my watchfast probably on Monday. :D
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Split-Time wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:40 pm Congratulations to everyone who has made it a week into this challenge. As one of my coaches used to say, "we can measure your strength and your speed but the one thing we cannot measure is your intestinal fortitude." Every coach has a couple of big words that they like to toss in to motivational speeches....his was "intestinal fortitude." :lol: But I digress. Also, a hearty congrats to anyone who broke down an ordered a grail a few days into the challenge.
A lot of coaches it seems "intestinal fartitude" is more common. :lol:
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:20 pm Day 7 and I am starting to see the ‘strap monster’ aspect of this watch. Another Barton strap, this time aged brown leather and it looks sweet.

8BA74CA7-AD88-4D3C-8939-1C338EF09D2D.jpeg

After a rough first day for me, things have gotten easier and I have been cleaning watches, but I haven’t had a strong desire to wear any of them yet. Just enjoying the job well done and becoming more familiar with this Seiko 5.

Thank you everyone who has participated to this point. We will be loosing @cortman in this challenge, but if you have seen the watch that is incoming then you would understand.
Great combo!
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Today’s watch fast realization: Having a cache of new straps arrive makes it REALLY hard to stay faithful to one watch. Still compliant, though.