We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Cheapest Nato Strap Paratrooper strap review

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
Rocat
MoT Member

Cheapest Nato Strap Paratrooper strap review

Post by Rocat »

I ordered one of the Paratrooper straps the other week when they had a sale. It is the single strap of elastic with a sliding clip. Basically the strap, to me is no good. Once I had the strap installed and sized, it would not hold it on my wrist. The strap would immediately release tension on the sliding clip and the watch head would flop to the left or right and the strap would loosen and the watch head would eventually slide all the way around my wrist. I think the clip openings are too big causing the strap to loosen its grip on the strap. At least I did not buy more than one. For me, I've learned my lesson and I'll stick with Eulit Perlon's and Nato's. There is too much give with the elastic and that allows the sliding clip to release tension on the hook clasp. I'm lucky the watch did not fall off my wrist. Maybe these straps will work for you but I'll have to give them a thumbs down.

****Edit****

Based on MoT's comment below I have sent an email to Sofie to see about getting new hardware. If she is agreeable to that and if the solution fixes the issue I will update my review.
Paratrooper_Marine_nationale_watch_band_red_elastic_1_2400x.jpg
Last edited by Rocat on Thu May 30, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Cheapest Nato Strap Paratrooper strap review

Post by watchpalooza »

Rocat wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:14 pm I ordered one of the Paratrooper straps the other week when they had a sale. It is the single strap of elastic with a sliding clip. Basically the strap, to me is no good. Once I had the strap installed and sized, it would not hold it on my wrist. The strap would immediately release tension on the sliding clip and the watch head would flop to the left or right and the strap would loosen and the watch head would eventually slide all the way around my wrist. I think the clip openings are too big causing the strap to loosen its grip on the strap. At least I did not buy more than one. For me, I've learned my lesson and I'll stick with Eulit Perlon's and Nato's. There is too much give with the elastic and that allows the sliding clip to release tension on the hook clasp. I'm lucky the watch did not fall off my wrist. Maybe these straps will work for you but I'll have to give them a thumbs down.

Paratrooper_Marine_nationale_watch_band_red_elastic_1_2400x.jpg
I completely agree...without a different buckle or modification I think these are unreliable.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
uvalaw2005
MoT Member

Post by uvalaw2005 »

Rocat wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:14 pm I ordered one of the Paratrooper straps the other week when they had a sale. It is the single strap of elastic with a sliding clip. Basically the strap, to me is no good. Once I had the strap installed and sized, it would not hold it on my wrist. The strap would immediately release tension on the sliding clip and the watch head would flop to the left or right and the strap would loosen and the watch head would eventually slide all the way around my wrist. I think the clip openings are too big causing the strap to loosen its grip on the strap. At least I did not buy more than one. For me, I've learned my lesson and I'll stick with Eulit Perlon's and Nato's. There is too much give with the elastic and that allows the sliding clip to release tension on the hook clasp. I'm lucky the watch did not fall off my wrist. Maybe these straps will work for you but I'll have to give them a thumbs down.
Thanks for the review, I'll know to avoid them now.

If you like the material but want a more conventional arrangement, consider these NATO style straps from George's Straps:

https://georgesstraps.com/products/mari ... atch-strap

I just placed an order after reading a favorable review here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f222/geor ... 55601.html

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

[mention]watchpalooza[/mention] and myself have contacted Sofie at CheapestNatoStraps and she has offered to send new hardware to solve the slipping issue (that I would hope will be going on future orders of the strap) or money back.

We'll see if it works.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:13 pm @watchpalooza and myself have contacted Sofie at CheapestNatoStraps and she has offered to send new hardware to solve the slipping issue (that I would hope will be going on future orders of the strap) or money back.

We'll see if it works.
Thanks. Luckily it was only $12 all in so I'm not overly upset. You never know about an item until you try it. I do think if they used a sliding clip with smaller opening then the issue would resolve itself.

Does she want the individuals to contact her or is this something she is sending to you?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Rocat wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:20 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:13 pm @watchpalooza and myself have contacted Sofie at CheapestNatoStraps and she has offered to send new hardware to solve the slipping issue (that I would hope will be going on future orders of the strap) or money back.

We'll see if it works.
Thanks. Luckily it was only $12 all in so I'm not overly upset. You never know about an item until you try it. I do think if they used a sliding clip with smaller opening then the issue would resolve itself.

Does she want the individuals to contact her or is this something she is sending to you?
That was her offer after emailing about the problems I was having with the strap.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Klaatu3
MoT Member

Post by Klaatu3 »

Received mine yesterday and have worn it around the house for about 12 hours total. I like the looks and the fabric, and the compass logo on the clasp. So far I haven't had a problem with the strap loosening--but haven't given it a vigorous workout. I certainly wouldn't take it mountain biking, as-is!

I think it has the potential to be a good value, but would agree with others here that it needs a better sliding clip (and possibly a second one), to be more reliable. I'll be contacting Sofie, and maybe CNS will make a formal product improvement thanks to MoT customer feedback.

Cheers.
PCMX1930ER.jpg
- Klaatu3

"I don't have time to set all these &%#* watches!"
PopePants2
MoT Member

Post by PopePants2 »

Had the same issues as the rest of the comments here. The poor design has made the strap useless, as I was too worried to wear this on a watch, for fear of having it fall off. Not to mention, it was constantly loosening making it very uncomfortable to wear.

So, I've made slight modifications....ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Klaatu3
MoT Member

Post by Klaatu3 »

PopePants2 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:03 pm Had the same issues as the rest of the comments here. The poor design has made the strap useless, as I was too worried to wear this on a watch, for fear of having it fall off. Not to mention, it was constantly loosening making it very uncomfortable to wear.

So, I've made slight modifications....

So, looks like you slightly bent the side of the sliding clip inward, to increase its grip on the strap? How's it working? Anything else?
- Klaatu3

"I don't have time to set all these &%#* watches!"
PopePants2
MoT Member

Post by PopePants2 »

Klaatu3 wrote:
PopePants2 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:03 pm Had the same issues as the rest of the comments here. The poor design has made the strap useless, as I was too worried to wear this on a watch, for fear of having it fall off. Not to mention, it was constantly loosening making it very uncomfortable to wear.

So, I've made slight modifications....

So, looks like you slightly bent the side of the sliding clip inward, to increase its grip on the strap? How's it working? Anything else?
Exactly, the slight bend holds the strap a lot better. Would I go skydiving with it? Would I trust the strap to hold the watch while diving? No. But, at least I have some used of the strap now.

primerak
MoT Member

Post by primerak »

Any update, has she fixed the sliding buckle problem on new orders or still sending same straps?
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

primerak wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:47 am Any update, has she fixed the sliding buckle problem on new orders or still sending same straps?
All of the straps now come with different hardware that fixes the sliding problem.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=802&start=60#p24634
primerak
MoT Member

Post by primerak »

Great thanks, placed an order.
yinzburgher wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:59 am
primerak wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:47 am Any update, has she fixed the sliding buckle problem on new orders or still sending same straps?
All of the straps now come with different hardware that fixes the sliding problem.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=802&start=60#p24634