We're Moving!

Click for more info.

On The Desk: Farr And Swit Seaplane Day Trip

Watch and watch accessory reviews written and posted by MoT staff members.
MoT
Site Admin

On The Desk: Farr And Swit Seaplane Day Trip

Post by MoT »

Chicago, Illinois based Farr And Swit is an up-and-coming microbrand started by three friends, Adam Farrand Hodge, Andrew Paetzold and Zach Switalski. Along with creating watches, clothing and other goods, the three have made giving back an important part of the Farr And Swit ethos. A portion of their sales along with products and their time are donated to Chicago area charities including Cubs Charities and Northern Illinois Food Bank.

Adam was kind to send me an example of their hand assembled in the USA Seaplane Day Trip (also available in a PVD variant called Midnight Landing) to spend a few days with.

A box arrived On The Desk, and inside was the 5L dry bag you see above. A nod to the adventurous spirit the brand identifies with, and also a unique and useful way to present the watch. The bag isn't a gimmick, like Citizen's mini-SCUBA tanks for example, it's an actual tool that can be used.

Inside the bag, Seaplane was in a standard cardboard box, secured with foam.

What immediately caught my eye was the distinctive blue chapter ring, and the wave pattern texture on the lower half of the dial. I tired to wipe away what I thought was dust before realizing that it wasn't dust but rather shining starts in a night sky motif. Cool!

The blue-trimmed hour and minute hands and the peek-a-boo lollipop seconds are sized right and offer good contrast making reading the time easy at a glance. Bold hour markers and numerals at 6, 9, 12 help with this as well.

The markers, hands and bezel (120 click with good feel and no lash) are coated in BGW9. Strong, even lume that was bright enough for me to read in the morning.

Gripping the easy to operate screw-down crown I felt the 316L stainless case's edges to be a bit sharp, but not to the point of being alarmed. Seaplane is powered by a 26-jewel Sellita SW 200-1 with a 38-hour power reserve. I enjoy watching a 4Hz movement; the seconds hand smoothly gliding around the dial, and the balance wheel oscillating madly through the screw-down display back. It's nice to see a Swiss movement, especially with the ubiquitousness of SII's NH series. Yes, it does increase the price, but in my opinion not objectionably so.

Seaplane is 42mm wide with a 50.5mm lug-to-lug. Large? Perhaps, but the relatively short lugs and reasonable 12.5mm height, including AR-coated sapphire crystal make for a comfortable to wear adventure watch.

I have to admit I was fooled. The black sailcloth-style strap with contrasting blue stitching that Seaplane came on looks and feels like actual sailcloth. The leather lining makes it very comfortable, and it's not until you take a close look at the strap that you discover it is a synthetic, rubbery material. It's an outstanding part of the package, and is secured by a deployment clasp signed with the Farr And Swit logo.

My time with Seaplane was relatively short though I enjoyed it. It's a pretty well put together watch with bold adventure styling from a trio of guys that don't just have a love for watches, but for community as well.

Check out Farr And Swit when you have the time and take a look at their watches, way cool dry bag and other goods like apparel and sunglasses. I am excited for the upcoming Wayfinder with the V31 mecaquartz movement and hope to have it On The Desk also.

Until next time...

Farr And Swit Seaplane specifications:

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: On The Desk: Farr And Swit Seaplane Day Trip

Post by TheJohnP »

Get an extra $50 off and three free seatbelt NATO straps now through Black Friday with code EXTRA50

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find