We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Rotten Apple over compensates Calories

The place to discuss everything smartwatch and fitness tracker related.
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

The Rotten Apple over compensates Calories

Post by Wolfsatz »

So.. not by design.. I've ended up with 3 smart watches that I am actually wearing on a regular basis. Just shy of a year... I got the Garmin Instinct which at this time is still my favorite for outdoor activities. Then, my wife got the 5th gen I watch, so I inherited her 3rd Gen. And via a trade... I also have the Alpina HSW Hybrid watch, which just recently put a huge fresh battery on.

The I watch has been on the rotation for about 2 months swapping wrist time with the Garmin. When I do walks, or when I go play racquetball, I actually have used both at the same time to compare overall ease of use and utilities.

My curiosity got sparked when comparing a simple 1 mile walk.... even on distance, the I watch tends to add a bit to the distance.
Same walk and same 1.75 hr racquetball workout... very different readings.. not even close enough to call Close.

Garmin Instinct Reading
ImageSmartWatch Comparison by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Same walk on the I watch... and I actually forgot to stop the Garmin for 3 minutes

Garmin Raquetball

Apple Raquetball
:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen:
Split-Time
MoT Member

Re: The Rotten Apple over compensates Calories

Post by Split-Time »

I am not going to be a lot of help, but I will toss out what I think then maybe we will see if someone sets us straight. For the last two years I have used a Garmin Forerunner 235 everyday. Calories are not something that I have cared much about other than the couple of times that I have "bonked" while running long distances," so I have assumed that my watch calculates calories burned as function of heart rate over time. I have wondered if weight is factored in. There are other factors that a watch cannot measure.

How does your racquetball heart rate compare between the two devices? The Apple watched reported 116bpm avg.

My Garmin 235 looses GPS accuracy when I run on trails that are wooded. I can turn GLONASS on but I'm not sure how much it helps (didn't seem to help as much as I hoped). As I go into the woods I can see my electronic pace decrease and then increase as I come out into clear sky, even when I am maintaining the same pace.
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

Split-Time wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:16 pm I am not going to be a lot of help, but I will toss out what I think then maybe we will see if someone sets us straight. For the last two years I have used a Garmin Forerunner 235 everyday. Calories are not something that I have cared much about other than the couple of times that I have "bonked" while running long distances," so I have assumed that my watch calculates calories burned as function of heart rate over time. I have wondered if weight is factored in. There are other factors that a watch cannot measure.

How does your racquetball heart rate compare between the two devices? The Apple watched reported 116bpm avg.

My Garmin 235 looses GPS accuracy when I run on trails that are wooded. I can turn GLONASS on but I'm not sure how much it helps (didn't seem to help as much as I hoped). As I go into the woods I can see my electronic pace decrease and then increase as I come out into clear sky, even when I am maintaining the same pace.
Great question.... let me check... I usually look at the pretty graph without thinking much about it. The Garmin has my weight.. not sure about the apple.. I'll check too.
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

Interesting.... even the heart rate is not even close... The only difference is the wrist being worn.... just for shts and giggles.. I am going to swap the wrist being worn tomorrow and see what comes up.

The Apple health App as well as Garmin has my weight and height.... and I am sure a lot more.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

ImageFarming Heart Rate by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

ImageApple Besrt Rate by Wolfsatz, on Flickr