We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The 2020 Seiko Alpinist

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

The 2020 Seiko Alpinist

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Figured I should start a discussion on the new Alpinist for when they release in January, as it's a very popular watch.

The models coming:

SBDC091
 Green dial + Brown leather strap  -- 75000 Yen

SBDC089
 White dial + Black leather strap  -- 75000 Yen

SBDC087
 Black dial + SS bracelet   -- 77000 Yen

I believe the blue Alpinist was used by Seiko as a performance metric to gauge how much demand there was for the Alpinist.

I am part of a small Alpinist group and a couple members from Japan leaked pictures and renders of the new watches. Unfortunately the white was deleted before I could save it and it was a very poor quality image. Basically Seiko changed the case from the sarb017 to look more like the originals. It now has this kinda weird triangular point towards the crown area. They will have a date magnifier because the originals had them. They will also have the "X" logo on the dial unfortunately, because they have always been part of the prospex line. They will use the new 6r35 movement with 70 hours power reserve. Interestingly, the dials are different layouts. The black one is a remake of the original, the green is the same as the sarb017 and I think the white one was also a remake of the original white.

Strangely the leaked green render and leaked green photo don't match their case shapes or model numbers, so take it as you will.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by AndroidIsAwesome on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Re: The 2020 Seiko Alpinist

Post by whoagorgeous »

Can't wait for more leaks. At the moment, it's meh.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Green looks very close to the same. Just cyclops and white date dial:

I wish that watch were 38mm?
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

I'm hoping they end up on Rakuten global and then Ebates does another 24% Cashback so I can pickup the black one. I am mixed on the design, part of me likes the black because it's very close to the original, but part of me wants the black date wheel
Last edited by AndroidIsAwesome on Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I am excited to see the white. I like the black but wish they wouldn't have added the Prospex X. Just "Automatic" in the cursive font would look so good.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

Probably they’ll do the version without the X and with automatic in cursive and make it into an alpinist version of SLA...limited and much more expensive than a regular one
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Good info, thanks. I actually think the case isn't all that different or could possibly be the exact same. The black and green renders lack detail so the line that marks the step down from the bezel to the mid-case with crown-guards is blurred to the point of non-existence but you can see it on the real-life photo. If you're playing along at home, you can hold your Alpinist up next to the photo and it will probably look the same. And if you hold your good eyeball up next to the screen and squint you can just barely see that line on the renders. I don't know, maybe there is a difference but it's hard for me to see it with these images. I'm ok with the addition of the cyclops and the change in color of the date wheel. I'm not really a fan of the Prospex X logo but it wouldn't necessarily be a deal-killer for me. I think I'm in favor of the upgraded movement. No Seiko movement has generated more complaints than the 6R15 so I really hope they get this 6R35 right.

I've owned the SARB017 a few times and I was sure I was going to love it but I never really did. So when I bought the SPB089 Blue Alpinist I thought I would have it for a little while and then flip it. But it surprised me for some reason and I really like it. At the moment, it feels like a long-term keeper. So I can't really imagine myself buying one of these new ones. Definitely not the green. And I have plenty of black dial watches. I've always like the cream dial Alpinist though so I'm looking forward to seeing that one. It would probably be the only one I might consider.

The link to the Seiya Japan blog post is here, as that was one of the first outlets to break the news about these new models.

Also I saw on another site that this will be one of those Seikos with two references, one for international and one for the Japanese market (JDM). Hopefully the info is correct:
Green dial = SBDC091 = SPB121
Black dial = SBDC087 = SPB117
White dial = SBDC089 = SPB119

Any speculation about what these will actually sell for?
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

$700 - $800 USD is already pushing it imo.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Seiya Japan put some images of the new Prospex Alpinist up on their Instagram. Swipe/scroll for the white and black dial models. I could get used to that white/cream dial on the black strap. I'd prefer no X logo but it's small enough that it doesn't bother me too much.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

They're here!........as noted by [mention]Sussa[/mention] in the new releases thread HERE. I like all of them, though I wouldn't buy the green again, it's just not for me. I would probably go for the white dial on black leather if forced to choose. Any favorites? Other thoughts?

A BLOG TO WATCH
WORN & WOUND
HODINKEE

FOR SALE AT JAPAN ONLINE STORE

From top to bottom:
SPB117 = SBDC087
SPB119 = SBDC089
SPB121 = SBDC091
SPB123 = SBDC093

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

So the new Alpinist is not only not an Alpinist, it is Alpinist inspired, but it is a replica of the Red Alpinist without the red. Difference being a different movement with exhibition caseback and a silver marker cream dial model. Cause gold just is not in these days.

Seiko, a little more creativity and a little less emphasis on taking the easy road to profits would be appreciated.

Yours truly
A disappointed Alpinist fan.

No doubt it will be a hit.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 5m0G0SLho8

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed. But when they go on sale a couple months after release I'm sure many of us will pick one up. The 5kx is typically 40% off retail so I estimate that might happen here.

I'm more excited about the new turtles coming out. They released pictures today but I didn't have time to post in the other thread. If nobody does by tomorrow I'll post the picture in the upcoming release thread
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

15% off retail prices at Sakurawatches for the Pre-order.

Link to site here https://www.sakurawatches.com/watches/seiko-watches/

Converted from JPY, prices are 640 USD(leather strap) and 657 USD( Stainless steel bracelet)
alpin.jpg
Last edited by pgcity on Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

I've owned the alpinist at least three times. Always sold because they just don't seem to fit right for me. Tried on leather, NATO's, nylon, bracelet, etc. Just too stuby I think. And yet I'm tempted by these new(ish) versions.

I've always really like the look of versions these are based on. Of course I also really liked the look of the green as well. Just didn't like wearing it.

%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Now that I've seen it in a video, it looks good. May take some self-convincing to accept the cyclops but what can you do.