Who among us has a modded watch?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

Who among us has a modded watch?

Post by Watch your Wristwatch »

For any of you that has done a watch mod, purchased one etc, what drew you into going for it? Was it b/c you'll never be able to afford the real thing? Was it the "limited" number of pieces available? Was it "it just looked good so I bought it"? I'm just curious as I'm getting ready to do one.

I'm going to be doing my first watch mod over the next month or so for a project that I've wanted to do for a while, a Fifty-Five Fathoms mod. I ordered my Seiko host the SNZH57 last week from the 15% off event at Creation Watches where I was able to snag it up for $117 shipped thanks to HUISABH. I'll be ordering a dial from Dagaz this week. I'm struggling to decide if I want to do a no date version or not; dates don't bother me if done right but I really love the clean look of the dial from Dagaz. That's going to be a tough decision for me. I'm going to keep the sword hands for the dial as they just look great to me. Should be pretty straight forward as I'm going to do it myself. (Eeks!) I'll take it to my watchmaker afterwards to pressure test it and look it over. I'm a little nervous but there's some good tutorials out there and WIS has a good post out there for that specific mod.
I wanted to do this mod for several reasons:
The original 1953 Fifty Fathoms is an ultimate grail of mine but I'll never be able to afford the real thing, I love the thought of having something that not everyone has and it's going to be fun for me to do it. Here's some pics of what it'll look like before and after (taken from the web).
Here's a link to an article about the history of the original Blancpain Fifty Fathoms of you're interested.
https://monochrome-watches.com/watchtim ... y-fathoms/

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts and personal stories.
Thanks for reading
ImageImageImage

@watch_your_wristwatch

Last edited by Watch your Wristwatch on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
CVP33
MoT Member

Re: Who among us has a modded watch?

Post by CVP33 »

Not yet. I bought 4 SKX013's with the intent of doing just that. I added glass case backs and bracelets. But dial, hand set, Crystal, bezel and insert are next and on the parts are on the way.

So far:

Where I'm going:

A few I purchased last night:

Seiko SKX779K1 aka Black Monster $120, new Crystal, buffed case (already order a brand new OEM/Seiko bracelet $44)

Seiko 7002-7001 blue mod $108 (new dial, new hands, new chapter ring, new bezel, new insert, new bracelet, new crown, buffed Crystal/case)

Seiko SKX007 batman diver mod $132 (new dial, Doxa hands, new chapter ring, new bezel, new insert, new bracelet, new crown, buffed Crystal/case)

Last edited by CVP33 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

For me it is about improving upon the function/aesthetics to something that better suits my needs/style. I am not really interested in emulating an existing watch. I have done case/bracelet brushing, bezel luming, dial painting, plating removal, dial/hand/movement swaps and probably some other stuff I am not thinking about.

There is great appeal in having a watch that I customized that I love that no one else will have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

I'm a little of both. Adding a domed Crystal with blue A/R is both functional and esthetic. Lumed bezel is a little of both as is bead blasting the case and bracelet to make it less prone to scratching (or showing) anyway. But dials and hands are pure looks for me. And totally agree that the hobby leaves room for both and having a personalized watch is something special by definition to the owner.
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

The SKX with the trident second hand is slick! I really love the Blue Mod and the Batman too, those are very nice mods. Make sure you share some pics when you're finished!
I'm afraid that once I have this mod complete as basic as it is, I will start going down the road of modding more of a custom piece.

@watch_your_wristwatch

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I bought a FFF mod on bracelet a While ago, and it did indeed make me want to start modding. The FFF stayed the same apart from the BradyStraps Sailcloth (great straps BTW).

I had done a bunch of bezel swaps on my Vostoks, but the SKX007 was my first real mod. The one thing I will recommend is get some good magnification and tools before you start. I built the SKX on my coffee table and the only magnification was a pair of reading glasses I bought at the hardware store.

A movement holder, good tweezers, and good hand removal and setter are also advised.

Be sure to check out Esslinger.com for both tons of info and good tools/parts.

Another thing, if lume is important to you, be sure to buy the dial and handset from the same place or you can end up with drastically different brightness .

One last thing. Practice. Get an old Vostok or seiko 5 to take apart and reassemble several times BEFORE you attempt modding a watch you care about. I destroyed a date mechanism, scratched up a dial and mangled a couple seconds hands before I started on the SKX.ImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Oh yeah, and NEVER try to remove a crystal when you have a ceramic bezel installed. Ask me how I know. . .ImageImage

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

More on the way.....

Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

CVP33 wrote:More on the way.....

You are one busy person lol. Those all look great

@watch_your_wristwatch

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

This is a very simple looking mod but it's probably the one I wear most. Normally I would definitely suggest the no date dial but the date mod pictured looks decent. Good luck with it. I struggled a bit with my first mod (and subsequent ones) but I was incredibly happy with myself when it actually turned out OK in the end.
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

yinzburgher wrote:This is a very simple looking mod but it's probably the one I wear most. Normally I would definitely suggest the no date dial but the date mod pictured looks decent. Good luck with it. I struggled a bit with my first mod (and subsequent ones) but I was incredibly happy with myself when it actually turned out OK in the end.
Nice Explorer 1 mod! What was your host/donor watch? That turned out excellent!

@watch_your_wristwatch

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Watch your Wristwatch wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 am Nice Explorer 1 mod! What was your host/donor watch? That turned out excellent!
Thanks! I used a Seiko 5 SNKK91, which is the same case as the 87, 89, and 93. Dagaz dial and hands. I don't particularly care for Mercedes hands so these look better to me. Strap is a Fluco. Sapphire from Crystal Times Horology.
djw1674
MoT Member

Post by djw1674 »

Here's mine.Image

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

djw1674 wrote:Here's mine.Image

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Exactly the look I'm going for! Looks great

@watch_your_wristwatch

djw1674
MoT Member

Post by djw1674 »

[/quote]Exactly the look I'm going for! Looks great

@watch_your_wristwatch
[/quote]

Thanks! Dagaz dial....Bradystrap.....red tipped second hand. Had the work done by newatchworks.com. My eyesight is too poor for that kind of work.