Who among us has a modded watch?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

Re: Who among us has a modded watch?

Post by Watch your Wristwatch »

Got my Fifty-Five Fathoms back today. I got a little nervous to try doing the mod myself so I had a local watchmaker do it for me. He only charged $10 to swap the dial out... It turned out great IMO. The other great news is that the watchmaker is retiring in a few years, asked him if I could take him out to lunch sometime and pick his brain, talk watches and asked if he'd be willing to show me the ropes a bit and he politely agreed! I'm pretty excited about it. So here it is, simple mod but very elegant with a Christopher Ward strap. ImageImageImage

@watch_your_wristwatch

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Watch your Wristwatch wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:03 pm Got my Fifty-Five Fathoms back today. I got a little nervous to try doing the mod myself so I had a local watchmaker do it for me. He only charged $10 to swap the dial out... It turned out great IMO. The other great news is that the watchmaker is retiring in a few years, asked him if I could take him out to lunch sometime and pick his brain, talk watches and asked if he'd be willing to show me the ropes a bit and he politely agreed! I'm pretty excited about it. So here it is, simple mod but very elegant with a Christopher Ward strap. ImageImageImage

@watch_your_wristwatch
That looks awesome on the distressed leather! Hope you're enjoying it!
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

This is the only watch I have that could be considered a mod, and it's pretty mild. I was looking at this model online and got to thinking that if I replaced the terrible bracelet and installed a clean bezel, it would make for a decent all-around beater. I call it my dive watch that doesn't look like one. Here's the before and after. Image
IMG_20180802_073231~2.jpeg
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

Post by Watch your Wristwatch »

larand wrote:This is the only watch I have that could be considered a mod, and it's pretty mild. I was looking at this model online and got to thinking that if I replaced the terrible bracelet and installed a clean bezel, it would make for a decent all-around beater. I call it my dive watch that doesn't look like one. Here's the before and after. Image
IMG_20180802_073231~2.jpeg
Thst looks so much better without the bezel!

@watch_your_wristwatch

Samginko
MoT Member

Post by Samginko »

Replaced everything including the movement. It was a gratifying and fun project. But, I will probably only buy watches from now on. I think you can get better value on this forum than what you can duplicate and save money. I also think if I ever sell this watch I will never get anything close to what I paid for it ($420.) On the other hand, most of the watches on this forum are had cheaper than used prices.
rps20190126_122250.jpg
rps20190126_122308.jpg
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

My cousin Nick is a big watch mod builder. He’s a legend on a watch forum, but I can’t figure out which one and I haven’t seen him in 20 years.

Does anybody know a big builder forum guy named Nick. lol it’s a small world.

@robotazky
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Robotaz wrote:My cousin Nick is a big watch mod builder. He’s a legend on a watch forum, but I can’t figure out which one and I haven’t seen him in 20 years.

Does anybody know a big builder forum guy named Nick. lol it’s a small world.

@robotazky
The only Nick I know of is the one behind the Orion watch brand.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.