We're Moving!

Click for more info.

I Won't Buy These Watches!

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

I Won't Buy These Watches!

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

In the other place (which shan't be named) there was once a thread like this. I think it's a good idea to have one here.

What watches won't you buy because of their name, the company's way of doing business, or its advertising (and such like)?

As for me, I would never buy a CCCP watch (to hell with the Soviet Union!), a Messerschmitt or a U-Boat (remember WW2?), a Lüm-Tec (get away with the fake umlauts). I'm borderline negative about Junkers (I haven't bought any, but have several Zeppelins from the same company.)

There might be more on my no-fly list, but my brain cells (such as still exist) are on furlough for the weekend.

What are your no-nos?
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

Re: I Won't Buy These Watches!

Post by Watch your Wristwatch »

I am in no way a watch snob and I'll probably get crap about this because of how good the 8926 probably is but I can never buy an Invicta, not even to mod, I just can't. Nor any fashion watch in general (MVMT and Daniel Wellington come to mind). There are so many inexpensive Seiko's in almost every style/type you can imagine, why would you need to waste your money on a fashion watch? Not to say Seiko hasn't had some flops and blunders....

@watch_your_wristwatch

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I’ll never own a Rolex. I think they’re ugly. I don’t like the reputation that comes with them. And for the money I will always prefer something else. Plus, I’m a quantity over quality guy so I honestly can’t afford a bunch of them anyway.
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

Post by Watch your Wristwatch »

Robotaz wrote:I’ll never own a Rolex. I think they’re ugly. I don’t like the reputation that comes with them. And for the money I will always prefer something else. Plus, I’m a quantity over quality guy so I honestly can’t afford a bunch of them anyway.
I have changed my opinion on Rolex. When I first started getting into the hobby I despised them because of exactly what you said "The reputation that comes with them." I would say more often than not, 1st time buyers of Rolex are buying them because they have the money and it's a status symbol. They have no interest in horology or the prestige of the brand and it's Horological significance in our world. So at first, I despised them because of the "douche factor" but as I get more involved in horology in general and Rolex's history, I will someday own a Rolex. Whether it's an Explorer 1, GMT Master II, Milgauss or a Presidential, haven't fully made up my mind!

@watch_your_wristwatch

CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Don't know that I can hold companies accountable for their activities from WWII. Given our (USA) internment of Japanese-Americans during the war, our treatment of African Americans prior to Civil Rights Legislation, etc. Now on aesthetics alone I hate several prestigious and some not so - Patek Philippe. Audemars Piguet. Jaeger-LeCoultre, Girard-Perregaux.P, most Invictas (except Mickey Mouse and bronze diver), all U-Boats and given my income and taste, safe to say I'll never own a Ulysse Nardin.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

CVP33 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:21 pm Don't know that I can hold companies accountable for their activities from WWII.

It's not what those companies did during WW2 (if they even existed then); it's the post-war referencing to Axis war machines that I gag at. What are we supposed to take away from that?
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

I will never buy a WuyiMC. Or an Auwer. Souarts is out of the question. Never will a Chanyuhui grace my wrist. Wugeshangmao can only dream of getting my precious moneys. Yijiamaoyiyouxia hasn't a chance in Helheim.

I make it a firm policy never to own a watch I can't pronounce.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

MAAHHH THE FRENCH! wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:19 pm I will never buy a WuyiMC. Or an Auwer. Souarts is out of the question. Never will a Chanyuhui grace my wrist. Wugeshangmao can only dream of getting my precious moneys. Yijiamaoyiyouxia hasn't a chance in Helheim.

I make it a firm policy never to own a watch I can't pronounce.
You wouldn't buy this outfit? You prude, you!

squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:55 pm
CVP33 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:21 pm Don't know that I can hold companies accountable for their activities from WWII.

It's not what those companies did during WW2 (if they even existed then); it's the post-war referencing to Axis war machines that I gag at. What are we supposed to take away from that?
I gotta agree with this. I've been wanting a B dial flieger for a while, but I just can't stomach wearing a direct copy of Nazi military equipment. For some reason, the Citizen B dials, and even those by Hamilton, don't inspire the same reaction.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

squincher wrote:
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:55 pm

I gotta agree with this. I've been wanting a B dial flieger for a while, but I just can't stomach wearing a direct copy of Nazi military equipment. For some reason, the Citizen B dials, and even those by Hamilton, don't inspire the same reaction.
Yeah yeah, it's all about those cold war/moon race/dog on a one way trip to the moon watches. Honestly, I appreciate the history, good or bad,but really, I just enjoy the watches.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

I don't extend any moral judgement to those who enjoy fliegers. They are great watches, I completely understand the attraction, and I know there is nothing wrong with the companies and people who benefit from their sale today. For some reason, no other watches from any other period of history bother me at all. Weird, I know.
ddavidsonmd
MoT Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by ddavidsonmd »

Will never buy INVICTA due to personal experience with the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

G-Shock. I know, I know. They are just not something I could see myself wearing despite working in a field where they would be perfect. I tried on my dad's yesterday, and was surprised by how light and comfortable it was despite it's size. I still can't do it. If it helps, I do have a multiband-6!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I will never buy another Invicta due to wide fluctuations in quality and ridiculous retail pricing. It is also the lack of creative direction or any positive original contribution, and the vast majority of their watches (except somme of the pro diver series) I find to be supremely ugly. I have a couple of their early models (2000-ish), but will buy no more. There are better watches available at reasonable prices from companies without stupid pricing, a tarnished reputation and 4000+ **** designs.

I also used to stay away from Chinese made watches because The ones I bought 20 years ago were horrible quality....but my view on this has changed as the blending of swiss and chinese watch production in the years since has resulted in some amazingly high quality Chinese watches (e.g., Traska)..
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

I'm not buying a watch I can't try beforehand so probably no microbrands for me,though I did that gamble with JLC before,but the dimensions are almost the same as luminor case

I'm not interested in invicta because the way they do business and bad examples I've seen in trade show before,sharp underlug and wrong minute-hour hands synchronization