Lou Gehrig 1928 Hamilton Piping Rock and other 1928 Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
tjcdas
MoT Member

Lou Gehrig 1928 Hamilton Piping Rock and other 1928 Watches

Post by tjcdas »

Nice read on the Piping Rock and other art deco 1928 watches.

I only have a 1990's mechanical replica, when I was a kid my grandma gave me a pin from opening day of Yankee stadium dated April 18, 1923, my granduncle was a design engineer on the project. My aunt many years later gave me the watch, I am a Twins fans hate the Yankees but the family connection to the stadium is cool.

I could never find out any info on the pin I received, which was still new and in an original wax paper packaging. Funny as you have an opening day pin for 60,000 people at the most famous baseball stadium ever built, there should be tons of info on the pin. I was at a work meeting and a guy from New York did baseball promo stuff on the side, player signings, memorabilia ect and he had never heard about an opening day pin given out on opening day. He struck out finding any info.

I started looking again for info,on this pin my granduncle was given, and came across an item that Charlie Sheen sold at auction the same pin received. Found out it was not a pin given out to fans or sold to fans on opening day of the new stadium but a pin that was given to the press that was covering the baseball game and stadium opening that day.

Makes for a fun story, at an annual meeting where we would meet with a japanese pharmaceutical company and its president that manufacured a medication for us in Japan. I learned he was a huge Yankees fan and collector, I wore my watch to the event and was able to show him my Yankees watch and share the story of my granduncle and the pin through an interpreter. I got some looks after I was done speaking to the head of their company from upper management as they were shocked that a lowly specialty pharmaceutical rep was over **** with the guest of honor.

I tried attaching but pdfs can't be uploaded.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... mAnvkEFxpJ