As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

To Aikon or not to Aikon?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.

Help me decide

Keep it, you dummy
No votes
Flip it for the extra $
50%
Swap it with a fellow WIS
17%
Trade it up for something better
33%
How about you do this with it? (other)
No votes

Total votes: 6
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

To Aikon or not to Aikon?

Post by TheJohnP »

I recently came upon an incredible deal.

Been eyeing Maurice Lacroix for some time now and have been checking out their collections and $$$. They make some lovely watches, but they're also priced in waters that I don't swim in.

Not too long ago, I was browsing through Amazon and decided to see if they had any Maurice Lacroix in stock. As I was going through all their listings, one in particular caught my eye...a quartz ML Aikon on bracelet for let's say half the going rate, and way cheaper than any of the other listings. Not only was the price better than anything I'd seen on any other site anywhere, but it was also being sold by an Amazon company (Amazon Pickup Points). Basically seemed a little too good to be true.

I placed the order and fully expected it to be cancelled. There was no way I was getting the watch for the price I was paying. And then when it shipped, I still suspected that it could be rerouted back. And when it finally arrived, I was suspicious that the box would either be empty, the wrong watch would be inside, or it would simply be beat up and scratched to all get out. Thankfully all my fears were unwarranted and it is a beaut. And completely brand new, it's still even in an original branded plastic bag.

With all that, I should simply count myself lucky, wear it, and enjoy it (at least that's what my wife keeps telling me).
But to be perfectly honest, the Aikon isn't my favorite ML model. And even though I'm not a quartz detractor, I tend to prefer automatics given the choice.

So at a bit of a crossroads about what to do with the Aikon. Not sure if I should keep it, maybe try to flip it and see if I can make some extra $, trade it with a fellow WIS for something else I might like more, or even take it to an AD or grey market site and trade up to another ML, say a Pontos. At least those are all the options I can think of.

Hoping my fellow HUISABH members will help point me in the right direction. Or maybe provide another option I haven't thought about.
Because I'm really overthinking this.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Re: To Aikon or not to Aikon?

Post by MoT »

I'd try to trade it or sell it, but only because I don't care for integrated bracelets.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:02 pm But to be perfectly honest, the Aikon isn't my favorite ML model. And even though I'm not a quartz detractor, I tend to prefer automatics given the choice.
Judging by these statements, I can't imagine keeping it is the best choice for you. If you're on this forum, I'm sure there are many other watches you can think of right off the top of your head that would be a better fit for you and you'd be much happier with. Flip it. And don't feel compelled to buy something with that money immediately if the right watch isn't available.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

If you are not enamered, then I would flip it or trade it up to get something better. Personally I do not care for the integrated bracelets or the proportions, or the quartz. But, someone else will surely love it.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Reviving my thread, 'cause I feel like it.

Tried to see about selling/trading in the Aikon to a few online outlets, however none of the sites would make an offer. :/
And since I still don't 100% trust trading with another person online (how does that even work?!?), been leaning towards holding on to it.
Have to admit the idea of keeping it as a "trophy" for the incredible deal I got is rather appealing. And probably save some servicing costs down the road with it being a quartz vs an automatic.

The only hiccup is since the watch is still factory sealed in a bag, can't really try it on the wrist to see how it looks without taking away the best selling point if I do decide to flip it.

Yeah, still overthinking this.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

From what I gathered, this watch is not for you. I say you sell it for 3/4 price (since you bought it for half). You make money, someone saves money and you put that money towards something that truly speaks to you. I say this as someone with no less than 6 NIB watches that I am still debating on. Do as I say, not as I do!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

PopePants2
MoT Member

Post by PopePants2 »

TheJohnP wrote:Reviving my thread, 'cause I feel like it.

Tried to see about selling/trading in the Aikon to a few online outlets, however none of the sites would make an offer. :/
And since I still don't 100% trust trading with another person online (how does that even work?!?), been leaning towards holding on to it.
Have to admit the idea of keeping it as a "trophy" for the incredible deal I got is rather appealing. And probably save some servicing costs down the road with it being a quartz vs an automatic.

The only hiccup is since the watch is still factory sealed in a bag, can't really try it on the wrist to see how it looks without taking away the best selling point if I do decide to flip it.

Try it on, wear it, sell or trade it ;)

A watch sitting in the box is worth nothing.

Just My 2¢

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

PopePants2 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:08 pm

Just My 2¢

Sage advice.
After much internal debate, I did decide to keep it.
Took this pic earlier this evening walking my dog.
[img][/img]
Click Icon To Contact Me

atdegs
MoT Member

Post by atdegs »

The Aikon has always seemed like a good way to get into a Genta-esque design for a reasonable price. Enjoy, looks great!
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

TheJohnP wrote:
PopePants2 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:08 pm

Just My 2¢

Sage advice.
After much internal debate, I did decide to keep it.
Took this pic earlier this evening walking my dog.
[img][/img]
You made a good choice keeping it. I loveeeee that watch. In my opinion it's one of the only Genta esque watches that actually looks good without blatantly ripping off the Royal oak.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole