We're Moving!

Click for more info.

2020 Watch Collection Plans

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I don't think we have a thread on this yet here. So here it is. What are your watch collecting plans and goals for the new year?

I plan to try to buy fewer divers this coming year. I feel like there's a bit of a lack of diversity in the collection, and so many brands make alluring dive watches it can be hard to resist. I'm pretty happy with the ones I have right now.
I would like to explore offerings in the dress/sport hybrid category. Things like the Glycine Combat 6, Rolex Oyster Perpetual, some Orient Star models, Omega Aqua Terra, etc, Seiko **** Time, etc. Some lean a little more toward sport, some toward dress. I am drawn to the versatility of such pieces and would love to acquire one with an unusual and attractive dial.
I would love to acquire a world time or GMT watch, but have my doubts about that happening.
It looks like a year of limited buying compared to other years, and very likely one in one out if I do indeed make some purchases. But I have a pretty solid collection built up right now that I'm very happy with, so I doubt it will be a hardship.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Re: 2020 Watch Collection Plans

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Well last year I made a post about my plans and that totally fell apart Midway through lol.

This year I plan to stop buying so many watches (doubtful), and instead sell some of my less worn ones (less doubtful). Then I'll see where I'm at in November or December and decide on buying a Seamaster or another grand Seiko perhaps. Who knows though, a good watch deal can always ruin my plan. I am really happy with my collection thus far however, considering I picked up most of my favorites in 2019.

I do have a Hamtun H2 coming at some point from Kickstarter last February/March.
Last edited by AndroidIsAwesome on Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I plan to keep doing what I have been doing and continue buying watches on impulse....That is the void this hobby fills for me. There is a passionate aesthetic connection that propels the departure of money from my life and leaves me with objects of great wonder and interest.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Sell off 30% of my collection and try to limit myself to only a Steinhart Vintage 39. Unless someone comes out with a Rolex Bakelite bezel homage.......then I would totally buy it. And honestly anything that Zelos comes out with.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

CVP33 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:47 pm Sell off 30% of my collection and try to limit myself to only a Steinhart Vintage 39. Unless someone comes out with a Rolex Bakelite bezel homage.......then I would totally buy it. And honestly anything that Zelos comes out with.
Let me know when the selling begins.......seriously.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

yinzburgher wrote:
CVP33 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:47 pm Sell off 30% of my collection and try to limit myself to only a Steinhart Vintage 39. Unless someone comes out with a Rolex Bakelite bezel homage.......then I would totally buy it. And honestly anything that Zelos comes out with.
Let me know when the selling begins.......seriously.
Ditto

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

My 2020 plan is just modding. I am sure something will catch my eye, but I am in a happy place with my collection and modding seems to be a great way for me to keep the fire stoked without buying a ton of watches. Just a ton of watch parts lol.

I have some of what I considered grail pieces, and can mod others to make them personal versions of other grails. That was part of the intrigue of the snowflake. I can't build something similar to that!

Anyways, I hope everyones journey ends well even if it doesn't go as expected. Also, I should really sell a dozen or two watches.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

My big goal is to curate my watch box a bit so that I love wearing every one of them. I may break out the sentimental watches to a 4 watch box.

I plan on servicing the Raketa Big Zero, which will be the first movement service that I am attempting. I have 5 or 6 donor movements standing by.

I want to explore smaller vintage skin divers to see if it is a style that works for me.

Other than that, it is lots of modding. Making those MoT dials, the two GMT watches and the three watches for the mods. I will make a personal MoT watch that I am happy enough with to call done and place into my watch box.

Also, sharing my watch obsession with coworkers and give away more watches to them.

Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

My only planned purchase is the Direnzo DRZ 03 Eclipse, assuming the Kickstarter is funded. I might get more adventurous with modding and try making my own dials for non-diver Seiko 5s. The second hand on my SNZH53 mod sometimes catches on the minute hand, so I should probably fix that. I really need to organize my straps and get rid of the ones I don't wear.
norsairius
MoT Member

Post by norsairius »

I hope to try and focus more on watches that I’ll truly like and keep. I bought some watches in 2019 that I ended up flipping soon after I got them with maybe a couple I wish I kept.

Basically I need to work on being better at identifying impulse buys vs. true wants.

That said, my purchasing goals this year include a Zelos watch (I unfortunately had to cancel my Mako V3 preorder due to unforeseen circumstances), a Hamilton watch (looking at the newer Khaki pilot, a Khaki Field mechanical, or a Khaki King), and a dress watch (my collection has many sports/tool watches but only one actual dress watch). I’d also love to find deals on a Mondaine automatic or Stop2Go as those are the ones I regret letting go.

If I were to prioritize, I’d say the Mondaines are at the top of my list followed by Zelos and Hamilton, and then the the dress watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

I'd really like to try and save up for a watch that I really like. I'll do this through a bit of ebay buying and selling, even selling my Triumph motorbike. That watch is a Rolex Explorer II with the polar dial.

More likely I'll probably buy an automatic field watch of some description, and a vintage dress watch.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

No plans, but then I hardly ever have one.
Mostly try not to impulse buy as much as possible.
Will also stop speculative purchases just for flipping. Tried it a couple of times and find it's not worth the effort for minimal results.

Right now only have one watch incoming on the horizon, the Antoine Tavan. That one will definitely satisfy a desire for an artisan/bespoke watch.

Do have an eye on a few models (Tissot Heritage Navigator, Zodiac Olympos, etc) and a couple of brands (Oris, Raymond Weil, maybe Frederique Constant), but the price would have to be ideal for me to pull the trigger.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:32 pm Will also stop speculative purchases just for flipping.

Same here. I got burned badly twice in 2019 doing just that. So much so that it ruined my chances of getting something really nice.

C'est la vie and all that I suppose.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

As for my 2020 plans, nothing concrete.

I'd really like to plan and save for something "big", but I'll have to work hard a suppressing the impulse purchasing urges.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

I think my only plan is to refine my collection. I'm still fairly new to the watch collecting world but I'm entering year 3 ish. I now know, or have a better understanding, of many more watch brands and and better idea of my ideal collection.
So probably starting this week I'll put up several watches for sale. Try to hold onto that profit and make only 1-2 larger purchases this year. I'd love to add a Hamilton or two to my collection as well as maybe something much bigger.
But then again being a part of this forum and seeing all these deals it's tough to do that!
Insta me: bbrou33