As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Post by yinzburgher »

tommy_boy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:35 am This post on the Monochrome site is a pretty good read, IMO. ETA has another year to ship to Swatch competitors, then go through the same dance off with COMCO. :D

https://monochrome-watches.com/news-com ... d-parties/

Meanwhile, Sellita, Citizen, Seiko, Sea-Gull, et al, crank out perfectly suitable movements.
Copying a post from [mention]tommy_boy[/mention] (Thanks!) here. After much confusion, the takeaway from this saga for the time being is that Swatch is no longer permitted to continue selling mechanical movements in 2020 pending another ruling from Switzerland's Competition Commission this upcoming summer. See the link above. I'm also adding another article from WatchPro below, as it contains the response from Swatch Group. Swatch is challenging the Commission's assertion of their monopoly, as estimates are that they sold just half a million movements in the past year in comparison to 1.2 million units sold by their biggest competitor Sellita.

Swatch Group’s statement attacking Swiss Competition Commission’s decision in full

Edit: Also see the SJX article in TB's post below. ETA will be permitted in 2020 to sell movements to brands with 250 employees or less.
Last edited by yinzburgher on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

The most recent reports state that COMCO decided that ETA is allowed to sell movements to others outside of the Swatch brands in 2020, but the buyers must be small-to-midsize makers. In practical terms, that market is too small to matter to Swatch, however.

https://watchesbysjx.com/2019/12/eta-sw ... comco.html

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swatch-sal ... -/45445594
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

The next episode of Antique Roadshow on PBS will include a segment with a man who bought a Rolex Daytona while stationed in Thailand in the early 70's. The man learns that the watch will likely sell at auction for at least $400,000 USD and possibly as high as $700,000. It is unknown if the man is still intending to audition for the role normally played by Kris Kristofferson in the Blade movies with Wesley Snipes or if he will use his new financial windfall to retire early. The episode will air Monday 1/27 at 8pm EST.

Hodinkee: Antiques Road Show Features Man Who Bought Rolex Oyster Paul Newman For $345.97 In The Early 70s And Never Wore It

PBS: Antique Roadshow

While I'm citing the article from Hodinkee linked above for this story, I'd like to thank my Dad for the "Head Up" on this one. He's not really a watch guy but he is a bit of an Antiques Roadshow guy. And he was on top of the story way before Hodinkee. Thanks Dad! 😁👍 I really appreciate it even though I probably won't be buying this one.

PS: Hey, if I text you the link for this post, please know that it doesn't mean that Skynet, Google or Thinkpol is any more likely to track you. I can't promise about the NSA though. :roll:

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I have a growing appreciation for Porsche Design, and here is an example of why.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/engin ... che-design
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

yinzburgher wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:44 am The next episode of Antique Roadshow on PBS will include a segment with a man who bought a Rolex Daytona while stationed in Thailand in the early 70's. The man learns that the watch will likely sell at auction for at least $400,000 USD and possibly as high as $700,000. It is unknown if the man is still intending to audition for the role normally played by Kris Kristofferson in the Blade movies with Wesley Snipes or if he will use his new financial windfall to retire early. The episode will air Monday 1/27 at 8pm EST.

Hodinkee: Antiques Road Show Features Man Who Bought Rolex Oyster Paul Newman For $345.97 In The Early 70s And Never Wore It

While I'm citing the article from Hodinkee linked above for this story, I'd like to thank my Dad for the "Head Up" on this one. He's not really a watch guy but he is a bit of an Antiques Roadshow guy. And he was on top of the story way before Hodinkee. Thanks Dad! 😁👍 I really appreciate it even though I probably won't be buying this one.

PS: Hey, if I text you the link for this post, please know that it doesn't mean that Skynet, Google or Thinkpol is any more likely to track you. I can't promise about the NSA though. :roll:

Here's an article with video. https://gizmodo.com/watch-this-veteran- ... 1841273902

The man reminds me of John, a man I consider to be a father-figure. He also was stationed in Thailand, in the same period, and I suspect they may have been on the same base as Air America operated out of Udorn, Thailand, where John was stationed.

I need to ask him if he has any watches squirreled away. :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

ManOnTime wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:08 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:44 am The next episode of Antique Roadshow on PBS will include a segment with a man who bought a Rolex Daytona while stationed in Thailand in the early 70's. The man learns that the watch will likely sell at auction for at least $400,000 USD and possibly as high as $700,000. It is unknown if the man is still intending to audition for the role normally played by Kris Kristofferson in the Blade movies with Wesley Snipes or if he will use his new financial windfall to retire early. The episode will air Monday 1/27 at 8pm EST.

Here's an article with video. https://gizmodo.com/watch-this-veteran- ... 1841273902

The man reminds me of John, a man I consider to be a father-figure. He also was stationed in Thailand, in the same period, and I suspect they may have been on the same base as Air America operated out of Udorn, Thailand, where John was stationed.

I need to ask him if he has any watches squirreled away. :lol:
Great video... his response is priceless. Pretty amazing.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

My wife and I both really enjoyed that episode. Thank you for the heads up! When it was over, she looked at me and asked if I thought I had any watches that might be worth something. :roll: I did learn that I have a Jawa up in the attic that might be worth a little bit ;) .
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Swatch Group left the BaselWorld Watch Fair in 2018. In 2019 they held their own event called "Time to Move" to showcase their watches. They were planning to repeat the event again in early March of this year. However they have now announced that the event is cancelled due to concerns over the coronavirus. They plan to unveil some of their products later in the year at smaller regional events.

FORBES: Swatch Group Cancels Watch Summit Due To Coronavirus
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

One day after the cancellation of Watches and Wonders (formerly SIHH) due to concerns over COVID-19 coronavirus contagion, Baselworld has followed suit and "postponed" the watch fair until January 2021.

WATCHPRO: Baselworld 2020 called off due to Coronavirus

HODINKEE: Watches & Wonders Geneva Officially Canceled Due To Coronavirus Threat
KeithBOIMA

The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Post by KeithBOIMA »

There are a few threads on the subject on the forum, but I was thinking here we can have a thread on every bodies Birthyear watch . Please share yours. And yes it’s here in the Vintage watch section not cause it is Probably old as in Vintage, but Vintage cause it’s a “Good Year “
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Rolex, Patek Philippe, Chopard, Chanel, Tudor Announce Exit From Baselworld, Establishment Of New Event

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertanaa ... new-event/
Living a comeback montage.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

No Baselworld 2021.

https://www.mch-group.com/en-US/news/me ... 00507.aspx
The MCH Group and representatives of the exhibitors at Baselworld have reached agreement on the settlement for the cancelled Baselworld 2020. In collaboration with the Swiss Exhibitors’ Committee, an amicable solution has been drawn up, unanimously approved by the Comité Consultatif and also supported by industry associations.

"I welcome the constructive attitude of the representatives of the MCH Group, which has enabled us to find a balanced solution", says Hubert J. du Plessix, President of the Swiss Exhibitors’ Committee. "I would also like to thank Patek Philippe, Rolex, Tudor, Chanel, Chopard, Hublot, Zenith and Tag Heuer, who, in a spirit of solidarity with the sector as a whole, have agreed to a lower refund so that the other exhibitors can benefit from better conditions."

Bernd Stadlwieser, CEO of the MCH Group, stresses: "We are pleased to have worked together and, in just a short time, found a solution that is acceptable to everyone. In the light of the large loss of revenue due to COVID-19 and our responsibility to all our stakeholder groups, this solution marks the limit of what is possible for us. With the amicable settlement for Baselworld 2020, we can now concentrate fully on the future."

The MCH Group has taken the decision not to hold Baselworld 2021 that had been planned for 28 January to 2 February 2021. "Together with the exhibitors and visitors, we are working intensively on clarifying and discussing the requirements and options for new platforms," says Michel Loris-Melikoff, Managing Director of Baselworld. "We will be taking a decision on possible follow-up formats by the summer and will then provide information on the new concept and scheduling."
Living a comeback montage.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Apparently there is slowdown in the Swiss watch industry and the broader economy, according to these articles from Monochrome.

Richemont Reports Quarterly Sales Down 47% Due To Covid-19

Swatch Group 2020 Half-Year Sales Collapse Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Thanks to this tip from [mention]Robotaz[/mention]!

Empire State Building In Accutron Green This Sunday To Celebrate Accutron’s 60th Anniversary

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Hodinkee is now in the business of selling pre-owned luxury watches after acquiring Crown & Caliber.

STATEMENT FROM HODINKEE

STATEMENT FROM CROWN & CALIBER