We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
cortman
MoT Member

Re: The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Post by cortman »

yinzburgher wrote:After Day 1 of SIHH 2019, the New York Times profiles some of the most notable releases. Is anyone else a bit disturbed by the new Richard Mille "Marshmallow"?

SEE THE NYT ARTICLE HERE

I love it! Also the "bon bon" Richard Mille. Of course I'm never going to own one but it is so funny and fun looking I'm glad it exists lol.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Jeff Bezos has been in the news frequently of late. But about a year ago, he was in the news for his ambition to help build (fund) a giant clock in a remote area of Texas. Known as the Clock of the Long Now or sometimes referred to as the 10,000-year clock, this massive timepiece will tick just once every year. Those helping to bring this vision to reality hope it will serve as a symbol for long-term thinking.

NBC NEW ARTICLE HERE

THE LONG NOW FOUNDATION

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

It's nearly impossible to keep up with all the new watches out of SIHH. But now that it's over a number of publications have listed their top watches. Here are a few articles.

Bloomberg - Hundreds of New Luxury Watches Just Debuted. These Are the Best

Wired - The most innovative and exciting watches from SIHH 2019

A BlogTo Watch - Top 10 Watches Of SIHH 2019
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Anyone want to pitch in and buy Patek?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... alysts-say
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:47 pm Anyone want to pitch in and buy Patek?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... alysts-say
Sure, I'll just sell a few of my Seikos. :D I would struggle to pitch in for a single watch let alone all of Patek Philippe. If these rumors come true, it would be nice if it stayed independent or went to a smaller company rather than into the hands of a giant conglomerate like Swatch and Richemont.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

This article isn't so much news as it is a profile of Seiko and it's watchmaking headquarters north of Tokyo. I normally am not very impressed by watch related journalism from mainstream publications, but I actually really enjoyed reading this one.

The New York Times - A Visit to Seiko’s Mountain Retreat
Valen
Has thanked: 0

Post by Valen »

For those interested in Evangelion.
http://wena.jp/products/collaboration-a ... d/eva.html
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

French Watch Enthusiasts Print a 3-D Timepiece

As the article explains, Panerai previously 3-D printed a watch in 2016. But now the first 3-D printed watch for mass production has been introduced.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Ariel Adams has written a pair of lengthy articles for Forbes and A Blog To Watch regarding "paid influencer marketing" and the blurred lines between social media, journalism, and advertising in the watch industry.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arieladams ... 9a7d942b0e

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/influencer ... e-too-far/
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

The whole social media/influencers/paid posting thing is rampant through just about every industry.
Click Icon To Contact Me

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Monochrome gives it's predictions for changes that might be made to Rolex's line-up for 2019. Many of these changes, if correct, would likely be announced at Baselworld 2019, running from 3/21 to 3/26.

SEE THE ARTICLE HERE
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

3D printing a watch case that can be made by other methods is missing the one of the main benefits of 3D printing. Namely, it can do things you can’t achieve though traditional fabrication.

Since you build from the ground up, you don’t need the object to be solid. You can make an object that has an internal structure that retains strength while using significantly less material. OK, so you can have a lighter watch. This is big in the aerospace industry where weight is crucial.

If you opened up some of the case so that you could see into the structure, that would be cool. You could even put something decorative within the watch case, like a tiny little watchmaker at a workbench. Encase that with resin and you have a literal window into the watch that gives a nod to the history of watchmaking inside the watch.

That is the kind of thing that I would want to do with 3D printing and watches if I had unlimited resources.

A tiny watchmaker is probably on the edge of what is possible, but if the will is there then it could be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

I agree. In my opinion, the three benefits of 3D printing are rapid prototyping, extremely limited production of a very specific part, or producing structures impossible to produce using any other technique. The horological uses, so far, don't seem to fall in any of those categories. In fact, the only possible benefit I can think of is reducing the labor necessary to fabricate the case, plates, and bridges, but economy just isn't a selling point for these $1k+ watches. Especially as the smaller, more demanding parts (i.e., the gears, springs, etc.) can't be printed, it simply comes off as a gimmick.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

sistem_32 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:28 pm I agree. In my opinion, the three benefits of 3D printing are rapid prototyping, extremely limited production of a very specific part, or producing structures impossible to produce using any other technique. The horological uses, so far, don't seem to fall in any of those categories. In fact, the only possible benefit I can think of is reducing the labor necessary to fabricate the case, plates, and bridges, but economy just isn't a selling point for these $1k+ watches. Especially as the smaller, more demanding parts (i.e., the gears, springs, etc.) can't be printed, it simply comes off as a gimmick.
What I would imagine as the technology and materials improve is that this will open up a whole world of vintage restoration. So many parts that are no longer made could be easily or more readily reproduced with a 3D printing process to keep more vintage pieces in working order.
Of course serious collectors will cry foul over the use of non-original parts.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

sistem_32 wrote:I agree. In my opinion, the three benefits of 3D printing are rapid prototyping, extremely limited production of a very specific part, or producing structures impossible to produce using any other technique. The horological uses, so far, don't seem to fall in any of those categories. In fact, the only possible benefit I can think of is reducing the labor necessary to fabricate the case, plates, and bridges, but economy just isn't a selling point for these $1k+ watches. Especially as the smaller, more demanding parts (i.e., the gears, springs, etc.) can't be printed, it simply comes off as a gimmick.
I definitely agree that it feels like a gimmick here. Another benefit is one off customizations that would otherwise require expensive retooling. Bespoke watch cases and the like. Not just modifying a stock part, but making something truly unique.

I could see modifying the structure for improved shock resistance. Multi material printers that can mix materials on demand could make for some interesting GShock prototyping or one offs. Not a cheap technology to use, but that isn’t at all the point here. I could definitely envision thinner/tougher GShocks using such an approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk