We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Post by yinzburgher »

There are no specific rules or guidelines for this thread. It is basically just what the title of the thread says. If you see some watch-related news that you find interesting or that you think others here may find interesting, you can post it here. You are welcome to copy and paste a link or a blurb from an article and any thoughts, questions, or commentary you may have about it. If you find some news that you think is worthy of its own thread, by all means, start a new thread for that news specifically. I just thought it may just be nice to have one thread to come to catch up on what's new in the world of watches/horology. Thanks.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Post by yinzburgher »

I not too familiar with the long history or Omega Speedmaster movements but I've heard in the past that Omega's caliber 321 is desirable in the collecting world. I noticed two very recent articles related to Omega resuming production of this movement.

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/01/08/omega ... -in-space/

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/omega ... r-movement
sistem_32
MoT Member

L’Epée Time Fast D8

Post by sistem_32 »

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm not always the best at staying up to date on the latest breaking stories, so this will be helpful. I did, however, happen across this today: the L’Epée Time Fast D8, released just a few days ago. For those that aren't aware, L’Epée produces fine table clocks, frequently in collaboration with MB&F. This one, however, is an independent product, designed to pay homage to vintage racing cars.
I'm not much of an automotive enthusiast (yet), but I really like the playful nature of this piece. For example, it's wound by pulling the wheels backwards across the floor, like a toy car, and set by turning the steering wheel. It's something that could make anyone smile, even people with no knowledge or interest in horology. The price, for those interested, is 27,500 CHF. Here's L’Epée's page, and here's a decent report from ABTW.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: L’Epée Time Fast D8

Post by Dub Rubb »

sistem_32 wrote:Thanks for starting this thread, I'm not always the best at staying up to date on the latest breaking stories, so this will be helpful. I did, however, happen across this today: the L’Epée Time Fast D8, released just a few days ago. For those that aren't aware, L’Epée produces fine table clocks, frequently in collaboration with MB&F. This one, however, is an independent product, designed to pay homage to vintage racing cars.
I'm not much of an automotive enthusiast (yet), but I really like the playful nature of this piece. For example, it's wound by pulling the wheels backwards across the floor, like a toy car, and set by turning the steering wheel. It's something that could make anyone smile, even people with no knowledge or interest in horology. The price, for those interested, is 27,500 CHF. Here's L’Epée's page, and here's a decent report from ABTW.
Dammit, I was hoping CHF was something like yen or pesos and that I could afford this. It combines two of my favorite things in a very cool way. Thanks for sharing though.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

According to the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry and Hodinkee, wholesale sales of Swiss watches were up significantly in November 2018. It appears us deal thread bargain hunters are making quite a difference. I just looked back at my buying history for November and it turns out I bought a Hamilton and a Glycine, so I'm certainly not immune to the trend. :D

Swiss Watch Exports To The U.S. Soared In November
sistem_32
MoT Member

Lange 1 "25th Anniversary"

Post by sistem_32 »

2019 marks the 25th anniversary of A. Lange & Söhne's Lange 1 "family" of watches. The original Lange 1 was introduced on 24 October 1994, as part of a lineup of four watches marking the revival of the Lange brand following the fall of the Berlin wall. Much has changed since then, but Lange has seen fit to remember its past by releasing a new "25th Anniversary" version of the Lange 1, limited to 250 pieces. It has the typical Lange 1 dial layout, but with a bit more texture distinguishing the different areas, and blue painted-on indices instead of the more usual applied gold.
I think it's a very handsome piece, better, in fact, than the other Lange 1 models. The price is about $50,000. Here's Lange's page, and here's a writeup from Hodinkee.

As a side note, the balance bridge (not really a bridge, but the proper word gets censored) might be my favorite part of the watch. I love the way the swan-neck regulator encircles the blued screw, and the "25" engraving styled to look like the big date window on the dial of the watch.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Less than 2 months ago, Fratello Watches launched a new series of articles entitled This Week in Watches, which recaps some watch related news for the week. This past week they chose to highlight 5 new releases, mostly limited editions from Doxa, IWC, Bell & Ross, Baume, and Cartier.

See the article here

See all previous articles here
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

London gang sentenced to total of 54 years in jail following spate of luxury watch robberies

I've gotten quite a few steals over in the deal thread without ever having to resort to such violence.
synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

Or this?

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

synequano wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:11 pm Image

Or this?

I'm not entirely sure where the news part of this post is. Let's try to stay on-topic. :D
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Multiple tech and watch news outlets recently covered the introduction of the soon to be released Ressence Type 2 Watch With e-Crown, the first connected self-setting mechanical watch. I'll link to the article from Monochrome Watches. Part of me says "Whoa, this thing is awesome!" The other part says "$48,800 for an ETA 2892?! You're outta your damn minds!"

MONOCHROME WATCHES - Ressence Type 2 with e-Crown
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

I saw this CES 2019 new product feature last week about the Matrix PowerWatch 2, which is powered by both solar and thermoelectric: https://gadgetsandwearables.com/2019/01 ... erwatch-2/

What if this charging technology could be used in a conventional Seiko solar or Citizen EcoDrive watch such it could also collect fitness data and display the data on my phone via bluetooth? In other words, I don't need a smartwatch display. And I don't want a watch that I have to charge every day or two. But I would like some of the fitness data gathering capabilities. I got my son a Motiv ring last year for his birthday, and he's been enjoying that instead of having an extra display on his arm. He just looks at the fitness data on his phone.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

After Day 1 of SIHH 2019, the New York Times profiles some of the most notable releases. Is anyone else a bit disturbed by the new Richard Mille "Marshmallow"?

SEE THE NYT ARTICLE HERE

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:18 am After Day 1 of SIHH 2019, the New York Times profiles some of the most notable releases. Is anyone else a bit disturbed by the new Richard Mille "Marshmallow"?

SEE THE NYT ARTICLE HERE

Yes! But Richard Mille releases usually disturb me...like wearing runway fashion on the street.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr