We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
sistem_32
MoT Member

Re: The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Post by sistem_32 »

TheJohnP wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:42 pm What I would imagine as the technology and materials improve is that this will open up a whole world of vintage restoration. So many parts that are no longer made could be easily or more readily reproduced with a 3D printing process to keep more vintage pieces in working order.
Of course serious collectors will cry foul over the use of non-original parts.
That is an interesting idea. I know that some of the big luxury brands (Patek, etc.) will fabricate parts if need be, but if metal printers ever get to that level of precision at an accessible level (which they're almost guaranteed to do at some point), it would open up new worlds for hobbyists. I wouldn't be surprised if it caused a major paradigm shift in the vintage market. It would also allow people without the physical training or equipment to make components themselves to simply outsource the production for an accessible price (say $50 a part) and design their own watches, cases and everything. It's an exciting thought.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Hodinkee’s SoHo headquarters is expanding into additional floors this year, one of which will be converted into a retail showroom for at least 10 watch brands. This is according to Hodinkee's newly hired Chief Commercial Officer, A former Tudor executive.

https://usa.watchpro.com/exclusive-hodi ... m-in-soho/

https://www.watchpro.com/former-rolex-m ... -hodinkee/
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Joe Thompson for Hodinkee extensively discusses the past, present, and future of Citizen Watch Co in the context of their 100th anniversary. Some of the recent developments and future plans involve partnerships with Disney and Fossil, and Citizen's relatively late arrival into the smartwatch space.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/citiz ... nd-century
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Sad news that the founder of Charriol Watches has died in a auto-racing accident. Sounds like a life well-lived though. I've only more recently become aware of the brand, which produces Celtic-inspired watches and jewelry.

https://www.luxurydaily.com/swiss-luxur ... racetrack/
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:51 am Sad news that the founder of Charriol Watches has died in a auto-racing accident. Sounds like a life well-lived though. I've only more recently become aware of the brand, which produces Celtic-inspired watches and jewelry.

https://www.luxurydaily.com/swiss-luxur ... racetrack/
Definitely saddening news.
I see Charriol jewelry and watches show up fairly frequently on Touch of Modern.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

This article from WatchPro details the name change of Junkers Watches to Iron Annie Watches.
The change of name came about after the parent company Pointtec decided not to continue paying royalties to the Junkers family for the use of its name.
However in an effort to make things extra confusing,
The Junkers family will produce its own watches using the Junkers brand in collections that will launch later this year.

Junkers name dropped in favour of Iron Annie by German watchmaker Pointtec

[img]https://1afctp46bx432tis5o1jynp3-wpengi ... auhaus.jpg[/img]
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

The logos are strikingly similar.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

The Thread for Watch and Horology Related News

Post by Sporkboy »

TheJohnP wrote:The logos are strikingly similar.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
For someone that knows nothing of the brand/history/family, I can’t get past the name Junkers. Sounds like the watch is a piece of junk. I would pick an Iron Annie over a Junkers any day.
milkham
MoT Member

Post by milkham »

I was always turned off by that Junkers logo because it makes me think of a hood ornament.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Year-round Daylight Saving Time? Florida Sen. Marco Rubio files bill to make it permanent nationwide

Setting your whole collection forward or backward an hour may soon be a thing of the past. Senator Marco Rubio and others have proposed maintaining Daylight Savings Time on a year-round basis. This morning, the President tweeted support for the idea and the legislation.

Trump is cool with making Daylight Saving Time permanent but Congress needs to OK
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

yinzburgher wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:13 pm Year-round Daylight Saving Time? Florida Sen. Marco Rubio files bill to make it permanent nationwide

Setting your whole collection forward or backward an hour may soon be a thing of the past. Senator Marco Rubio and others have proposed maintaining Daylight Savings Time on a year-round basis. This morning, the President tweeted support for the idea and the legislation.

Trump is cool with making Daylight Saving Time permanent but Congress needs to OK
Great! No more time changes! Although personally, I'd rather get rid of Daylight Savings Time.

I lived in Indiana for a couple of years where there was no Daylight Savings Time. One of my friends had a really great internal clock. So I always wonder how much the time change twice a year affects our ability to know what time it is without having to check our watch?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

cel4145 wrote:
yinzburgher wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:13 pm Year-round Daylight Saving Time? Florida Sen. Marco Rubio files bill to make it permanent nationwide

Great! No more time changes! Although personally, I'd rather get rid of Daylight Savings Time.

I lived in Indiana for a couple of years where there was no Daylight Savings Time. One of my friends had a really great internal clock. So I always wonder how much the time change twice a year affects our ability to know what time it is without having to check our watch?
At this point I am pretty sure that we are on daylight savings time because that is what we have done in recent memory. That is a terrible reason to keep doing something.

I don’t think you can do it state by state though, but rather all at once. Politically, I don’t think there is the will to do that. However, I would love to see it done.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Didn't see this one coming. Timex apparently acquired a boutique luxury watch brand in 2006 and shuttered it in 2010. They have now announced they are reviving the brand. For $70,000, I at least want an option for Indiglo.

Timex Group Reboots its Luxury Division with Nature-Inspired Vincent Bérard Collection
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

2018 was a low point for Baselworld, the watch mega-fair held in Switzerland each year. The number of exhibitors drop by 50%, tanking the financials of its parent company. Months later, Swatch Group added insult to injury by announcing they would not be attending the Baselworld exhibit in 2019. When Baselworld brought in a new executive to make things right, he spent his third day on the job trying to persuade the CEO of Swatch Group to return. Apparently it didn't work. Now Swatch says they're never coming back to Basel. An article from Hodinkee details the changes for this year's Baselworld and its aspirations going forward.

Swatch Says Baselworld Pullout Is Permanent as Watch Fairs Wilt

As Baselworld 2019 Approaches, The Watch Industry's Biggest Show Faces An Uncertain Future
Last edited by yinzburgher on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:25 am 2018 was a low point for Baselworld, the watch mega-fair held in Switzerland each year. The number of exhibitors drop by 50%, tanking the financials of its parent company. Months later, Swatch Group added insult to injury by announcing they would not be attending the Baselworld in 2019. When Baselworld brought in a new executive to make things right, he spent his third day on the job trying to persuade the CEO of Swatch Group to return. Apparently it didn't work. Now Swatch says they're never coming back to Basel. An article from Hodinkee details the changes for this year's Baselworld and its aspirations going forward.

Swatch Says Baselworld Pullout Is Permanent as Watch Fairs Wilt

As Baselworld 2019 Approaches, The Watch Industry's Biggest Show Faces An Uncertain Future
Would think this to be an amazing opportunity for microbrands to fill the gap and begin attending and showcase the high quality and innovation that is now possible with crowdfunding. Baselworld could become an opportunity for consumers and media outlets to handle watches typically only sold online. This would bring unprecedented media coverage tt microbrands and could really hurt Swatch.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr