“I screwed up my nice new watch”: a thread to confess and sympathize with each other

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
cheddar
MoT Member

Re: “I screwed up my nice new watch”: a thread to confess and sympathize with each other

Post by cheddar »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:26 pm Well done @cheddar!
Thanks! It was very educational in so many ways -- I would highly recommend it for anyone interested in what makes their mechanical watches tick. I may have to start a different thread here laying out the minimum supplies that would be needed and what YouTube videos I used, in case others want to try.
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Re: “I screwed up my nice new watch”: a thread to confess and sympathize with each other

Post by Rabirnie »

cheddar wrote:
TheJohnP wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:26 pm Well done @cheddar!
Thanks! It was very educational in so many ways -- I would highly recommend it for anyone interested in what makes their mechanical watches tick. I may have to start a different thread here laying out the minimum supplies that would be needed and what YouTube videos I used, in case others want to try.
Please do share that info! I’m very much intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

That's awseome [mention]cheddar[/mention]! Great work!
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

cheddar wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 pm Image

Now, fortunately, it’s actually not that noticeable at the usual angles, and I have watches with much worse scuffs. But the fact that I made something that was tiny much worse in the process of trying to fix it, well...it’s like that facial feature that you think is all anyone else can think abut when talking to you, but which they actually aren’t. And it can easily and affordably be fixed by someone actually qualified when the time comes.

Anyway, figured I’m not the only one who has or will ever do this, so figured we could use a thread to share our stories and commiserate. :-)
This is actually a very easy refinishing job. Grab yourself one of those fiberglass pens ($5-10 on eBay?) and work at it in the direction of the brushing. Would wear a mask and gloves as the fiberglass pens tend to break off pieces of the glass tips as you use it.
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Nsjong wrote:
cheddar wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 pm Image

Now, fortunately, it’s actually not that noticeable at the usual angles, and I have watches with much worse scuffs. But the fact that I made something that was tiny much worse in the process of trying to fix it, well...it’s like that facial feature that you think is all anyone else can think abut when talking to you, but which they actually aren’t. And it can easily and affordably be fixed by someone actually qualified when the time comes.

Anyway, figured I’m not the only one who has or will ever do this, so figured we could use a thread to share our stories and commiserate. :-)
This is actually a very easy refinishing job. Grab yourself one of those fiberglass pens ($5-10 on eBay?) and work at it in the direction of the brushing. Would wear a mask and gloves as the fiberglass pens tend to break off pieces of the glass tips as you use it.
Yep, I have one of the pens now. Just learned my lesson from the first go-round. [emoji3] The scuff has mellowed out with wear to where it’s barely noticeable, and only from a couple of angles, so if I wind up keeping this long term and pick up some additional marks, I’ll take the pen to the lug, and the other 3 if necessary, to keep them uniform. Probably will practice on a cheaper watch first, too.
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Okay! For anyone interested, I've created a new thread with some info for anyone else who might be interested in taking apart and reassembling a movement: viewtopic.php?f=34&p=67613#p67613