As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

SUPER CHEAP AFFORDABLE WATCHES! - THE $20 OR LESS THREAD

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: SUPER CHEAP AFFORDABLE WATCHES! - THE $20 OR LESS THREAD

Post by yinzburgher »

mplsabdullah wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:16 pm Was just about to pot that after seeing on SD. I grabbed one. I thought it'd be the more expensive watches to do me in and it's actually turning out to be all these sub $20 ones that are getting me . Lol
:lol: I'm right there with you. I have a little less guilt about springing for these super cheap ones though.
watchpalooza wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:18 pm US shipping only.... :(
I picked up two. Holler at me when you're back in the States. 👍
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Sold out while trying to check out. Didn’t need it, so that is OK by me.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

This Casio digital might be the best digital for the money. 36mm. It has auto EL lume. It has 50m WR. It has dual time. That's all fine. But it shows the current time while in the other modes. This is a nice feature I never appreciated until I tried it. Bonus: standard lugs and front-facing light button. (Disclaimer: I don't actually own this watch, so I can't personally vouch for it. Someday, but atm my wife would kill me.) Model W93H-1AV.

Casio product page here.

Buy it from Casio on eBay here, $18.50 incl. free shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-Mens-Qua ... 3716204389

Amazon, $16.44:
https://www.amazon.com/Casio-W93H-1AV-M ... 000GAWSFO/

Walmart, $16.44:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Multi- ... h/20452185

Video of a guy running it through the modes (why couldn't he clean it, first?):
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

$5 Casio AE1000W-1B

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

mplsabdullah wrote:$5 Casio AE1000W-1B

Wow, done in less than 11 minutes.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: SUPER CHEAP AFFORDABLE WATCHES! - THE $20 OR LESS THREAD - Casio World Time AE1000W

Post by yinzburgher »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:10 pm
mplsabdullah wrote:$5 Casio AE1000W-1B

Wow, done in less than 11 minutes.
Yea, these always go very quickly, often in less than 2 minutes. I used to sometimes post these cheap flash Amazon sales in the deals thread but by the time I could post them they were often gone. Or they would last a few minutes at best. So often nobody would get any (or possibly the deal-snagging lurkers got them before the active members) and they caused more frustration than it was worth. The quantity is usually limited to three per person. mplsabdullah must have the same deal-site alerts set up that I do. I got my alert, immediately bought this deal, came back to this site, and he had posted it already. Frugal, watch-obsessed minds think alike. ;) Anyway, these are really cool watches whether you pay $5 or $20 so I think they're worth a closer look.

I bought a variant of this watch, the green Casio World Time AE1000W-3AV from Amazon for just $4 in September. Deal posted HERE and pics below. You can find the Casio product page HERE where it shows a retail price of a whopping $24.95. And at any given time you can likely find it and the other variants for less than $20 and sometimes as low as $12. Obviously it can go even lower on rare occasions for these Amazon flash deals. These are very popular watches that even have a Wikipedia page HERE. No doubt that is due, at least in part, to their great value for the money. There is a whole lot of utility and functionality here for less than 20 bills. As you can see from the pics, the watch directly advertises that it has a battery life of 10 years and comes equipped with 5 alarms that can either be set up to chime daily or one time. I use these alarms occasionally. Sure I have a phone, but the alarm on my phone never really makes me smile. The watch has 100m water resistance. I wear this and my other 100m rated Casio watches to work where they get wet very frequently and I've never had a problem with moisture damage. While I don't typically swim with or submerge this watch, I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Many of my other 100m Casios have survived many a jump in the pool. The display is large and legible. The map shows a highlighted time zone that coincides with that of the digital display. The digital display of the analog dial always shows the time for the set home time zone. There is also an indicator display above the map that shows info regarding the alarm. In the main timekeeping mode, you can scroll through four time zones that you have pre-set to your preference. In the world time mode, you can scroll through a total of 48 cities and 31 time zones. There is also a 24 hour countdown timer and a stopwatch. The buttons/pushers are large and fairly easy to depress. As the ILLUMINATOR text on the case shows, it has a backlight that shines an orange light from the bottom left corner of the display. It's fairly pathetic but definitely gets the job done in a dark room. I like the army hunter dark green with the orange accents. Some depth to the display makes it more interesting to look at as well. I think the size works well for my 7 inch wrist. The dimensions are 43.7 by 48.1 by 13.7 mm. The only thing I don't really care for with this watch is the strap. It's wearable but I don't find it particularly comfortable with its indentations against the side of my wrist. It reminds me of the Seiko "wave" strap that comes with an SKX. At some point I may try to peruse Ali Express for a softer 18mm replacement strap. I think I would prefer a softer dust magnet strap over the original.

While you often only see seven variants of this model listed, there are at least eight of them. The various colors and model numbers can be seen in the image below. They all use Casio's module 3198, Operation Guide HERE. If you want to take a closer look at how to operate this watch, see the video below. It has all the same functionality as module 3299, which is used in the famed "Casio Royale" World Time AE-1200WH. Product page HERE. The only difference is that the upper portion of this display is reversed in comparison to the Royale. At these prices, I think there is room in your collection for both. Another Casio that uses this module is the newer AE-2100W HERE, of which there are at least three variants. This one may be a good option for the spec-queens out there, as it claims 200m water resistance. And lastly (as far as I know), another newer watch with this module is the AE-1400WH, with the light button front and center. Asian market product page HERE. Market prices for these newer models will likely be a bit higher. The AE-1000W watches you see below are an absolute screaming deal at just $4 or $5. But I feel the need to stress this; I think these watches are well worth the money at $20. If you don't want to pay a full $20, my suggestion is to follow the prices on Amazon and buy when you see them below $15, which is not uncommon. Casio AE-1000W Amazon search HERE. And if you snag one (or anything for that matter) under $20, post your pics and thoughts here. :ugeek:

2020-05-27 (2).png
2020-05-27 (2).png (827 KiB) Viewed 8547 times

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Dealspotting: $9 Timex Ironman.

UPDATE: deal's over.
https://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5K822-Iro ... 00LW3QZLM/
timex.jpg
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

$3 Marathon stocking stuffer. Never too early to pick up a stocking stuffer.
$3 on Amazon
826D7120-B774-40DD-898A-0A5F578BDEC3.png
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

OK, so here is a brand you don't see too often on forums but I think the watches below are probably worth a look at these prices. I've never owned a Nixon watch so I can't recommend them based on first-hand experience but I do like a number of their designs that I've seen over the years. I think Nixon might be considered by most WIS to be a "fashion watch" (whatever that means). It's not too often that you find them priced at $20 or less but now is one of those times. Ashford has a whole mess of them on sale starting as low as $13.49 using the 10% off code CR10P9MZ. Even with the $5.99 shipping that Ashford charges for shipping under $99, that still only comes to $19.48. Whoop whoop! Most of the cheaper ones are a model called the Nixon Time Teller P, with the P standing for polycarbonate. They are $60 at full price and typically go for $35 and up. They are 40mm and use a three-hand quartz movement from Miyota. Contrary to what Ashford says, they do not have a screw-down crown but they do have a screw-down caseback and 100m WR. I think the red one below would probably be my pick, edging out the orange and the green. Cheap and flashy! Links below.

LINK TO NIXON WATCHES AT ASHFORD

THE TIME TELLER P ON NIXON'S SITE
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Thanks. My wife just ordered a chartreuse one.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Stretch44 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:24 pm Thanks. My wife just ordered a chartreuse one.
Which one is chartreuse?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:
Stretch44 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:24 pm Thanks. My wife just ordered a chartreuse one.
Which one is chartreuse?
It is the yellow one.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:33 pm
Which one is chartreuse?
It's a fancy way of saying yellow with a little green. It didn't feel right when I wrote it, but that's the color my wife called it...
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Stretch44 wrote:
watchpalooza wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:33 pm
Which one is chartreuse?
It's a fancy way of saying yellow with a little green. It didn't feel right when I wrote it, but that's the color my wife called it...
What do you get when you cross a yellow kangaroo and a green moose?
You get a chartreuse kangamoose.

From my daughter’s color/animal book.