Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by Split-Time »

aldi wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:09 am Finally managed to track down the bracelet variant of this Alpina Alpiner 4 blue dial at a reasonable price

Like most people, I had reservations about the 52mm lug-to-lug, but after wearing it feels that it wears quite well on my 6.75 inch wrist

After plenty of in/outgoings over the past few months, this should conclude my watch shopping for the next few years. My next purchase would be a 30th birthday gift and a substantial hike in price versus the rest of my watches. I'm aiming for a 1 watch 1 color collection with a final total of 8 watches:

The Alpina looks GREAT! Your spreadsheet is impressive. It is good to have goals and your watch goals are certainly well organized.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Got the Milus Snow Star Heritage HKIT001 that is on sale at Jomashop. Came with the nice presentation case ([mention]Split-Time[/mention] and I were wondering if it would). Gorgeous watch. I took a couple of photos, and I think the watch is photogenic (lol)

Unfortunately, there is something wrong with the rotor. I gave it a few gentle shakes to get it started, and it is the loudest rotor I have ever heard. Worse than a cheap Orient I tried one time. The rotor seems loose or the bearings in it are messed up.

So I called Jomashop. They are sending me a return label for a refund. And I went ahead and reordered another one to crosship since the special is still going. I don't want to miss out on this one.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

cel4145 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:33 am Got the Milus Snow Star Heritage HKIT001 that is on sale at Jomashop. Came with the nice presentation case (@Split-Time and I were wondering if it would). Gorgeous watch. I took a couple of photos, and I think the watch is photogenic (lol)

Unfortunately, there is something wrong with the rotor. I gave it a few gentle shakes to get it started, and it is the loudest rotor I have ever heard. Worse than a cheap Orient I tried one time. The rotor seems loose or the bearings in it are messed up.

So I called Jomashop. They are sending me a return label for a refund. And I went ahead and reordered another one to crosship since the special is still going. I don't want to miss out on this one.
Wow, I am sorry to hear about the rotor :oops:. Mine is out for delivery and I will be sure to check that when it arrives.

Beautiful photos!
Landed_Alien
MoT Member

Post by Landed_Alien »

Split-Time wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:00 am
aldi wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:09 am
After plenty of in/outgoings over the past few months, this should conclude my watch shopping for the next few years. My next purchase would be a 30th birthday gift and a substantial hike in price versus the rest of my watches. I'm aiming for a 1 watch 1 color collection with a final total of 8 watches:

The Alpina looks GREAT! Your spreadsheet is impressive. It is good to have goals and your watch goals are certainly well organized.
Haha, I've always wondered what other's watch spreadsheets looked like in comparison to mine - I never doubted that us WIS nerds each had a got/want spreadsheet. :geek:

We should start a thread to compare and share.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Archimedes 1950-2 with silver indices arrived today.

The case is very utilitarian, rather than being an expensive, elaborate display case that someone might want for giving as a gift. Works for me as I'm put it away in a big box with all of my other display cases. And the box is very effective design for protecting the watch when being tossed around by FedEx. (They play rugby with the watch boxes, right? :lol: )

Here are a few more images. The 1st has some color correction applied (and the previous one). The last two do not. The white dial is not a bright white.

I'm very happy with the watch. I like the more traditional design. I've become more wary of very modern looks that implement trends. (My favorite whipping boy for that is the carbon finish look). As I think I could tire of them after a few years. This is a watch I could easily see myself wearing 20 years from now.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Looks fantastic. I like!
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

On a 23mm Victorinox bracelet

Just my $0.02 USD as always.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:56 pm Archimedes 1950-2 with silver indices arrived today.

The case is very utilitarian, rather than being an expensive, elaborate display case that someone might want for giving as a gift. Works for me as I'm put it away in a big box with all of my other display cases. And the box is very effective design for protecting the watch when being tossed around by FedEx. (They play rugby with the watch boxes, right? :lol: )

Here are a few more images. The 1st has some color correction applied (and the previous one). The last two do not. The white dial is not a bright white.

I'm very happy with the watch. I like the more traditional design. I've become more wary of very modern looks that implement trends. (My favorite whipping boy for that is the carbon finish look). As I think I could tire of them after a few years. This is a watch I could easily see myself wearing 20 years from now.

Where'd you pick that up?
Good deal?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:56 pm Archimedes 1950-2 with silver indices arrived today.

That’s a beauty and a classic design...simple understated elegance.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:00 pm

Where'd you pick that up?
Good deal?
I had been eying that watch for quite awhile. The Watch Mann discount on it got me thinking about it. But he did not have the sapphire crystal version https://www.watchmann.com/proddetail.ph ... 3780210283

I'm bad about knicking mineral crystals, so I coughed up the extra money to order the sapphire crystal version directly from Archimede at regular price. Took a couple of weeks. Based on their email about how long it would take, I think they assemble to order on some of their watches.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

The Milus Snow Star from the Jomashop deal arrived yesterday. I did not have a chance to open it until the family was in bed. At that point it was close to by bedtime as well. Needless to say, the anticipation was real. There is something about the design of this watch that I have been drawn to since I first saw it. More on that at the end (that is called "foreshadowing" :lol: ).

I typically do not take unboxing pictures, but since we have a little fun with it sometimes, I took a few. I'll spare you most of them other than to say that there is nice outer and inner box. [mention]cel4145[/mention] had already confirmed that we would be receiving the LE with the nice case.

So far, so good...

Imagine my dismay when I found this inside! :oops:

That is untouched...just as I found it. The rectangle at the bottom is the plaque missing from the left. The back of it is very sticky and lot of the items were stuck very well to it.

The watch looked fine to the naked eye, and I have pretty good eyes. There are a couple of extremely small light scratches that I could see. This morning I looked with a loupe and there isn't anything there that I wouldn't do within a few outings.

I love the polish of the case. Admittedly I did not capture that in these evening photos.

The hands ;)

[mention]cel4145[/mention], the rotor in mine seems a bit noisy as well. I probably would not have noticed it had you not mentioned it which led me to give it shake. It looks like I am going to roll the dice and keep this one. So far is is keeping good time, but I am less than 24 hours in.

Shipping woes aside, I am very happy with this watch. It seems to share some design elements with what we think must be my father's watch that my wife found having been untouched for at least 35 years. Am I the only one who notices a resemblance?

McLovin
MoT Member

Post by McLovin »

ImageImage

Overhauling the collection. Many out. A few new ones in including this one. My first Farer. Liking it so far.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Split-Time wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:09 pm The Milus Snow Star from the Jomashop deal arrived yesterday. I did not have a chance to open it until the family was in bed. At that point it was close to by bedtime as well. Needless to say, the anticipation was real. There is something about the design of this watch that I have been drawn to since I first saw it. More on that at the end (that is called "foreshadowing" :lol: ).

I typically do not take unboxing pictures, but since we have a little fun with it sometimes, I took a few. I'll spare you most of them other than to say that there is nice outer and inner box. @cel4145 had already confirmed that we would be receiving the LE with the nice case.

So far, so good...

Imagine my dismay when I found this inside! :oops:

That is untouched...just as I found it. The rectangle at the bottom is the plaque missing from the left. The back of it is very sticky and lot of the items were stuck very well to it.

The watch looked fine to the naked eye, and I have pretty good eyes. There are a couple of extremely small light scratches that I could see. This morning I looked with a loupe and there isn't anything there that I wouldn't do within a few outings.

I love the polish of the case. Admittedly I did not capture that in these evening photos.

The hands ;)

@cel4145, the rotor in mine seems a bit noisy as well. I probably would not have noticed it had you not mentioned it which led me to give it shake. It looks like I am going to roll the dice and keep this one. So far is is keeping good time, but I am less than 24 hours in.

Shipping woes aside, I am very happy with this watch. It seems to share some design elements with what we think must be my father's watch that my wife found having been untouched for at least 35 years. Am I the only one who notices a resemblance?

I had wondered how everything stays in place well in that box. But the 1st one I got did not have that issue. Everything was in its place. Here's hoping the replacement I have coming in tomorrow is OK.

Good to hear about the rotor. The rotor in the one I had was so bad, that I wondered if it had been replaced with a super cheap Chinese movement. The only time I've experienced a rotor that seemed that bad was in a $25 Tevise dive watch I got from aliexpress. Definitely not working Selitta or ETA movements. Worse than the Miyota 9015 movements that I think are fine, despite people complaining about them.
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

McLovin wrote:ImageImage

Overhauling the collection. Many out. A few new ones in including this one. My first Farer. Liking it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

If you've been in the discord or some of the other threads you might have seen I've mentioned buying the staff at the cafe at my work some watches as a nice Christmas gift / thank you gesture for keeping me well fed with great food. A batch of skagens meant for this purpose arrived today from Watch Station. I couldn't help but to grab a Skagen Fisk for myself and wanted to post a pic and give some quick thoughts!

Overall, the Fisk is a great gift for a non- "watch person". It looks really nice, especially in person. Very thin and comfy to wear. Bezel is plastic and light but the action is satisfying, with crisp clicks and basically no backplay.. better than some "real" non-fashion watches. Screw down crown is surprisingly good but may confuse non-watch people haha. The movement of the hands with setting the time is wonky. The seconds hand doesnt line up perfectly with the markers, but its close enough. The pattern on the inside of the comfy silicone strap and signed buckle are nice touches. Lume is mediocre, but its there. I feel very good about gifting this watch to someone who would just want a reliable, upscale looking but also young/fun watch, which this definitely is. Especially in this color scheme. Personally the seconds hand misalignment would bother me long term if this watch wasn't sub-$20. And obviously the bezel is useless except as an ornament (12 and 6 dots aren't even lumed). Overall it does the job and then some, but not without a couple faults noticeable to someone like me but probably not to your average Joe.

Scruffy believes in this forum