We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by TheJohnP »

cheddar wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:12 am Excited to try this out...

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
WhaleTail
MoT Member

Post by WhaleTail »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:This kontiki arrived a few days ago. It's pretty well used and has many small scratches on the case but I got it for a good price especially considering it's a harder to find color. Undecided if I'm going to try to rebrush the case and polish the bezel. Otherwise it's a really cool watch to add to my collection.

ImageImageImageImage
That must be your second one, I know you bought the white/blue version lately.
Are you collecting all the color combinations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aka: Watchout on WUS.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

WhaleTail wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:08 pm
AndroidIsAwesome wrote:This kontiki arrived a few days ago. It's pretty well used and has many small scratches on the case but I got it for a good price especially considering it's a harder to find color. Undecided if I'm going to try to rebrush the case and polish the bezel. Otherwise it's a really cool watch to add to my collection.

ImageImageImageImage
That must be your second one, I know you bought the white/blue version lately.
Are you collecting all the color combinations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha yes it's actually my 3rd of that version now. Can't seem to stop buying them because I just really like the design. I'm looking to get another of the white ones as a backup because it's my favorite one, as dumb as that may sound. Here are the others I've got now

Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:My halios fairwind arrived today, also happens to be the Lunar new year today... Halios logo is like a crescent moon... Coincidence?? :o

Anyways, this watch is incredible. Well worth beyond $1000 but they only cost $775. Jason overnight shipped it to me across Canada by FedEx and I got it in 18 hours. He assembled it himself in Canada too [emoji1063]

The bracelet clasp is amazing. It's basically the same design as the IWC/A lange & Sohne ones where you press in the halios logo and the bracelet can be expanded or retracted by like 1cm. The bezel action is flawless same with the crown action. It's as smooth as my Sinn 556. On my timegrapher it's running around +6 seconds with a 280ish amplitude and 0.1 beat error. I'm sure it's got to break in a bit still though. Might make a more in depth review in a couple weeks, but so far the only downside is the amount of fingerprints it attracts because of the extremely fine brushing.

Perfect! Love Jason's watches. The bracelet looks really, really good. How does it wear?

The Lunar New Year always falls on a day (night) with a new moon (=no moon) though.

The Lunar Calender chronicles the phases of the moon. The first day of the month is always a new moon and the 15th day is a full moon.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

quincas wrote:
AndroidIsAwesome wrote:My halios fairwind arrived today, also happens to be the Lunar new year today... Halios logo is like a crescent moon... Coincidence?? :o

Anyways, this watch is incredible. Well worth beyond $1000 but they only cost $775. Jason overnight shipped it to me across Canada by FedEx and I got it in 18 hours. He assembled it himself in Canada too [emoji1063]

The bracelet clasp is amazing. It's basically the same design as the IWC/A lange & Sohne ones where you press in the halios logo and the bracelet can be expanded or retracted by like 1cm. The bezel action is flawless same with the crown action. It's as smooth as my Sinn 556. On my timegrapher it's running around +6 seconds with a 280ish amplitude and 0.1 beat error. I'm sure it's got to break in a bit still though. Might make a more in depth review in a couple weeks, but so far the only downside is the amount of fingerprints it attracts because of the extremely fine brushing.

Perfect! Love Jason's watches. The bracelet looks really, really good. How does it wear?

The Lunar New Year always falls on a day (night) with a new moon (=no moon) though.

The Lunar Calender chronicles the phases of the moon. The first day of the month is always a new moon and the 15th day is a full moon.
Thanks, the bracelet wears great and you can get it perfectly sized how you want thanks to the microadjust. You can tell Jason put a ton of work into designing it. Occasionally it pulls a hair or two on my wrist but nothing horrible. The bracelet is super similar feeling to an AP royal oak bracelet because of the way the brushing captures light and reflects it perfectly, definitely catches attention from across a room. Some people were saying the clasp was too thick but I think it's fine, it's thinner than any of my Eterna clasps and only a little thicker than a submariner clasp. Even the part where the screws go in the links is finished superbly:

Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Was surprised and thrilled to find this on the front step considering there have been zero tracking updates provided since it left Spain almost 3 weeks ago.

I’ve had my eye on these for a looong time.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Initial impression: it's a beauty.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
jfield
MoT Member

Post by jfield »

ManOnTime wrote:Image

Initial impression: it's a beauty.
Looks great, the crown design is somehow preventing me from pulling the trigger.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Rado is a brand that I have appreciated for a long time. I enjoy how the brand has never been afraid to push the boundaries and experiment with different materials; ceramics, ceramic/metal alloys, hardened steels, etc. Captain Cook, especially the vintage-styled ones is a watch I have been wanting for almost as long as I've known about Rado, and I finally managed to have the chance to get one.

I was doing my usual eBay browsing when I came across a seller offering a brand new Captain Cook R32505015 for a decent price, and was accepting offers. They were also including an unused Rado bracelet and two extra links, also unused. I was enticed! I submitted an offer quite a bit below his asking price and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, just before the offer was to expire, the seller countered with a price that I was uncomfortable paying, so I countered with an offer that was half-way between and included a note: "Meet me in the middle?".

Well, after more waiting an email arrived with "Offer accepted! Pay now!" I was thrilled, and nervous at the same time; this is the most I have ever spent on a single watch. I paid and then waited some more. Communication with the seller was great. They contacted me with the usual "Thank you for buying" and informed me they would be packing up and shipping the watch in a few days. About 2 days later I received another message saying they had a Kaufmann Nautic strap with a Bulang and Sons buckle and asked if I wanted it. I thanked them and mentioned it was generous to be adding something after the sale was over. Safe to say, I was impressed.

The seller shipped UPS Ground, and the wait was on. Finally, it arrived yesterday, and to say I am "well chuffed" is an understatement. So far this watch is everything I hoped it would be. The dial is deep and enchanting and shows different shades of grey depending on the light. The concave ceramic bezel is a delight and has the best feel I've experienced: Clicky, but not too clicky. Firm, but not too firm, and there is zero play.

To wrap up this loquacious diarrhea I'll say that I am thrilled to have this watch, and now I will be looking at my other Rado "wants" more closely, namely a Golden Horse and a DiaStar.

Image dump:

I love this clasp and how it ties the whole vintage vibe together.

Hi!

The stock strap and clasp are very nice. The clasp even has a hidden expansion, which was a nice surprise.

The obligatory wristie.

Just a bit of fun:

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I had a couple of vintage Rado and those were so vintage that the anchor never spun. Seems yours has no problem in that regard.
Such a neat touch they still include.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:20 pm I had a couple of vintage Rado and those were so vintage that the anchor never spun. Seems yours has no problem in that regard.
Such a neat touch they still include.
For some reason, I was expecting it to spin around like a rotor, but it's not like that. It is in a different position every time I look at the watch, though.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

[mention]ManOnTime[/mention] - congrats congrats! What a lovely watch and a lovely fit on you. I am still consistently checking out the 37mm version...drooling at times.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

pdsf wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:40 pm @ManOnTime - congrats congrats! What a lovely watch and a lovely fit on you. I am still consistently checking out the 37mm version...drooling at times.
Thank you.

I'd say don't hesitate. There are bargains to be had.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:55 pm
pdsf wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:40 pm @ManOnTime - congrats congrats! What a lovely watch and a lovely fit on you. I am still consistently checking out the 37mm version...drooling at times.
Thank you.

While your version has a screw-down crown, the 37mm ones don't. I can't get over that! :?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

pdsf wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:27 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:55 pm
Thank you.

While your version has a screw-down crown, the 37mm ones don't. I can't get over that! :?
That would give me pause, but I believe the original Captain Cooks from the 1960s didn't have screw-down crowns either. Authenticity, I guess?

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT