Let's talk G-Shocks, ProTreks, and other Casio's

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: Let's talk G-Shocks, ProTreks, and other Casio's

Post by BostonCharlie »

AndyS wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:04 pm Since they cancelled the "natural" color GA2110's in both blue and gray and gray/gray like PetWatch's above I decided to see if I could find the blue model before they're gone. Macy's has them and have 6% cash back via Rakuten and RetailMeNot right now. $110.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/g-sh ... ryID=23930

Beware, Macy's seems to never get the boxes right. I might return if they screw it up.

I'd much rather have a positive display and truly like the gray look, but like blue as well. I'd be tempted to positive display mod it, but suspect these will jump in value when they sell out like the gray. I suspect I might eventually flip this one if they jump in price, because to be honest, I think I'd be just as happy with the black one with white hands.

Wonder if the positive display selling out so fast will make Casio understand we like positive displays.

Started thinking about this when I saw this video:

I haven't been following these enough to know how this price compares, but TecoBuy is advertising the gray GA-2110ET-8A for $119 incl. free shipping, and [mention]NapoleonDynamite[/mention] says here they are legit.
NapoleonDynamite
MoT Member

Post by NapoleonDynamite »

BostonCharlie wrote:
AndyS wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:04 pm Since they cancelled the "natural" color GA2110's in both blue and gray and gray/gray like PetWatch's above I decided to see if I could find the blue model before they're gone. Macy's has them and have 6% cash back via Rakuten and RetailMeNot right now. $110.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/g-sh ... ryID=23930

Beware, Macy's seems to never get the boxes right. I might return if they screw it up.

I'd much rather have a positive display and truly like the gray look, but like blue as well. I'd be tempted to positive display mod it, but suspect these will jump in value when they sell out like the gray. I suspect I might eventually flip this one if they jump in price, because to be honest, I think I'd be just as happy with the black one with white hands.

Wonder if the positive display selling out so fast will make Casio understand we like positive displays.

Started thinking about this when I saw this video:

I haven't been following these enough to know how this price compares, but TecoBuy is advertising the gray GA-2110ET-8A for $119 incl. free shipping, and [mention]NapoleonDynamite[/mention] says here they are legit.
Yeppo. I bought a Logitech Megaboom 3 from Tecobuy about 12 months ago. Lightning shipping too!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

You guys...

Tempted now to get them both then sell the one I like the least.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

AndyS wrote:You guys...

Tempted now to get them both then sell the one I like the least.
I would have got the blue one if I didn't find the gray with positive display. I think I'm done with poor quality negative displays, they should use STN on all models, cost difference is probably not that much.

Hope Teco comes through, they have a lot of bad reviews. Worth a shot I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

I went ahead and ordered the gray one. Partly after looking at ebay to see what my last limited time watch run is selling for on ebay. The GWB5600AR1 that I have on wrist today is still going for list or more on ebay. I paid $90 on a $145 list. I know several of us here bought this one on MLTD with a coupon.
GWB5600AR 01.jpeg
So I figure owning a couple of limited runs of probably the most popular G-Shock model in the last few years isn't going to lose me much money. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Sneaker Freaker for $100 at MLTD every time I look it up on ebay.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

AndyS wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:42 pm I went ahead and ordered the gray one. Partly after looking at ebay to see what my last limited time watch run is selling for on ebay. The GWB5600AR1 that I have on wrist today is still going for list or more on ebay. I paid $90 on a $145 list. I know several of us here bought this one on MLTD with a coupon.

GWB5600AR 01.jpeg

So I figure owning a couple of limited runs of probably the most popular G-Shock model in the last few years isn't going to lose me much money. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Sneaker Freaker for $100 at MLTD every time I look it up on ebay.
Sounds like a good plan. I am not a G-Shock expert by any means but it seems like a fair number of popular models hold their price over the long run fairly well. It's always hard to predict which models will rise in price. The gray CasiOak is unique in terms of the positive display, but I don't think anyone expected it to be discontinued so soon, and they keep coming out with more models so it's likely we will see others come out soon. This makes me want to get the blue one, if only it wasn't for the negative display. Sorry I keep harping about the display but I have to try and talk myself out of it somehow. I'm trying to limit my purchases this year otherwise I would be considering a whole collection of CasiOaks.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

PetWatch wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:53 pm ... Sorry I keep harping about the display ...
A valid concern, especially since the figures in the display are so small.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Visiting Reed's, a popup offered $25 off purchases $150+ w/ newsletter signup. That would take one of these G-Lides to $160 - $25 = $135. They have three colorways: black, blue and white.

https://www.reeds.com/casio-g-shock-g-l ... 92813.html

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

BostonCharlie wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:09 am Visiting Reed's, a popup offered $25 off purchases $150+ w/ newsletter signup. That would take one of these G-Lides to $160 - $25 = $135. They have three colorways: black, blue and white.

I will eventually own one of those too, when the guilt of buying four Casio's in the past 3 months ends :)
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

AndyS wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:03 am
BostonCharlie wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:09 am Visiting Reed's, a popup offered $25 off purchases $150+ w/ newsletter signup. That would take one of these G-Lides to $160 - $25 = $135. They have three colorways: black, blue and white.

I will eventually own one of those too, when the guilt of buying four Casio's in the past 3 months ends :)
They are really great. I got the teal one when they first came out. It now lives with [mention]yinzburgher[/mention].
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

AndyS wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:03 am

you just got to change that negative energy into realizing that your wrists will bring you so much Wrist Joy!

NO guilt or shame here

ImageGBX 100 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen:
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Evil people.

Don't think I ever posted pics of my Protrek from the Walmart Christmas deal on it's stock titanium bracelet. Like it more than I thought I would. Clasp is cheapish, but the thing is really light considering its size. Has about the easiest to size bracelet ever. Has a little tool that pokes into two holes in each link that seem to have some kind of spring mechanism that releases the links. So just put that thing in and the bracelet separates easily.
PRT-B50YT-1CR Bracelet.jpg
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Got the blue and gray GA2110ET-2A. Kind of wish it was just a solid blue bezel after seeing it in person. It's a good looking watch. The dial is cool, the color is cool, I'm just not sure the two tone is doing it for me.

Macy's of course sent the wrong box, even after I got on chat with them and they assured me they'd send me the correct box (there's been a history of them screwing up these orders). Generally I wouldn't care if it was a run of the mill G-Shock I was sure I was going to keep long term and beat on, but this is one I have in the back of my mind I might sell at some point. Or if I'd gotten it on a really good deal it wouldn't matter.

They sent me the tin and the correct book at least.
GA2110ET-2A Outside.jpg
I do have a $10 black bezel/band (resin) combo coming from Ali Express but I'm not sure how a black blue combo will look. I just ordered it because it was cheap and I thought the band might find use on something in my collection of G-Shocks. I figured it was more likely I'd throw it on the gray one.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

AndyS wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:18 pm Got the blue and gray GA2110ET-2A. Kind of wish it was just a solid blue bezel after seeing it in person. It's a good looking watch. The dial is cool, the color is cool, I'm just not sure the two tone is doing it for me.

Macy's of course sent the wrong box, even after I got on chat with them and they assured me they'd send me the correct box (there's been a history of them screwing up these orders). Generally I wouldn't care if it was a run of the mill G-Shock I was sure I was going to keep long term and beat on, but this is one I have in the back of my mind I might sell at some point. Or if I'd gotten it on a really good deal it wouldn't matter.

They sent me the tin and the correct book at least.

GA2110ET-2A Outside.jpg

I do have a $10 black bezel/band (resin) combo coming from Ali Express but I'm not sure how a black blue combo will look. I just ordered it because it was cheap and I thought the band might find use on something in my collection of G-Shocks. I figured it was more likely I'd throw it on the gray one.
Looks good! You can't miss with black and blue as far as I'm concerned, it would compliment the negative display and dark navy blue? markers. When the gray comes in your decision may get easier towards choosing one or the other, or not.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

PetWatch wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:57 pm Looks good! You can't miss with black and blue as far as I'm concerned, it would compliment the negative display and dark navy blue? markers. When the gray comes in your decision may get easier towards choosing one or the other, or not.
I bet the gray would look good with the blue dial. Should swap the two of them up :)

Unfortunately there is no gray set from Ali Express. But they've got most of the other combos, so probably eventually...

I'd be interested to hear if the gray is easily marked and discolored.