Watch wishlists

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
baldrick
MoT Member

Watch wishlists

Post by baldrick »

I'm curious, how many of you guys and girls keep a watch "wishlist" of the pieces on your radar/you intend to buy and how do you do it?

Previously, I've kept a simple text list or draft email with pics of the watches currently on the list. Lately, I've been saving images of the watches in a folder with the file name being the model name and number.

I've also got saved searches on watchrecon, but those are limited to 8 slots (positively miserly by WIS standards).

What do you do?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Watch wishlists

Post by watchpalooza »

baldrick wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:45 am I'm curious, how many of you guys and girls keep a watch "wishlist" of the pieces on your radar/you intend to buy and how do you do it?

Previously, I've kept a simple text list or draft email with pics of the watches currently on the list. Lately, I've been saving images of the watches in a folder with the file name being the model name and number.

I've also got saved searches on watchrecon, but those are limited to 8 slots (positively miserly by WIS standards).

What do you do?

My process is shared here under Generate Search Terms.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Yes, and it's just a sticky on my computer's dashboard. Funny thing is, the longer a watch stays on that list, the less likely I am to buy it. It's mostly a list of watches I'll buy if I find a ridiculously good deal. I'll search eBay and Watchrecon from time to time, but I only have alerts set for one that was a forum watch and in short supply.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

A simple text list for watches of interest with brand model #, lowest price found and where. Update as needed. Out of curiosity I keep the long forgotten entries that never crossed the price/interest threshold for purchase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bergbergs
MoT Member

Post by Bergbergs »

I keep a watch wishlist on Amazon. Mostly for my own reference. They allow notes to be added for items that are not on Amazon, so I just add a link and a quick note on what it is.

It'd be simpler to keep a simple text or markdown file, but I can access this list from any of my devices and also, some family/friends use my Amazon wishlists as inspiration for birthday/Christmas gifts. I'd never ask anyone for a watch b/c most of what I want is too expensive but hey, if they're offering :D
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I have a note of watches I like. I also have a note of watches I like that are too expensive, lol. That second list helps me keep an eye out for affordable versions that may scratch the same itch.
But I'd say at least half my watch purchasing is driven by immediate infatuation combined with a really good price, unrelated to anything on the list.
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

baldrick wrote:I'm curious, how many of you guys and girls keep a watch "wishlist" of the pieces on your radar/you intend to buy and how do you do it?

What do you do?

1) eBay saved searches on mobile, check them once or twice a day, add ref #s if I get real serious

2) WatchRecon saved searches. Pro-tip: using “pipes” or whatever they’re called lets you save multiple terms in one slot:

3) I also have a watch journal that I update every now and then with my current thoughts on my collection and a spreadsheet I use to track everything about my watches, including bought/sold info and potential sales to fund new ones I may want to get. That spreadsheet has proven to be super helpful — have all the specs of my current watches, past watches, periodic rankings of my current collection. I can use it to find everything from price paid to lug width to how many watches I sold two years ago.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I used to keep a list a few years ago of models I wanted to own. But eventually there were just so many watches that I stopped putting them on the list. So now I kinda have a running list in my head so when I come across a deal on one I'll remember it was a watch I was interested in and then decide if I want to buy it. Like the Casio Oceanus I just bought, I remember wanting to buy one 3 years ago but never really found a good price on them so I forgot about it until this week when I found a good deal just from browsing auctions. Although there are a few grail watches that I will own at some point in my life.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I am finding that aside from the MoT blue dialed Cincinnatus, that there are no watches on my wishlist. Of course, I might discover something amazing that I need to hunt down, but right now I think that I am OK with thinning down my collection to what I really love to wear along with some sentimental watches.

There of course have been watches that I have been interested in owning in the past that, like AndroidnisAwesome, I keep in the back of my mind until I stumble into a hot deal. That is how it happened with the Timex Data Link watches that I recently acquired.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Yeah, I normally have a list of a few. It ebbs and flows as the collection develops.

I currently have a snowflake hands problem. I fear that resolving this will cost me. :D

Summer time compels me to look at colorful divers (yellow and red this year.)

I thought that the Traska Summiteer would scratch my Explorer itch, but alas, it is now up for sale. Maybe I'll try the Armida A6 or look at a Smith's Everest.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
Techme
MoT Member

Post by Techme »

I don't have a physical list, I just have just keep it all up top. There are a lot of watch that I desire of course. I kind of have them split up into three groups:

1. NEEED - I will spontaneously buy a watch on my list if I have the money at the time and I get a deal. I can hold on these for a while and I definitely want the the watch.
2. DREAM - The watch is expensive or could possibly need a service (used watch). I would probably need to plan ahead and sell some pieces.
3. LIKE - Watches I like, but don't have to own. Such as affordables on this forum or eBay which have an appealing design, spec and price. These are spur of the moment purchases that I could take or leave or just be curious.