We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Official LWDS logo thread

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Official LWDS logo thread

Post by MoT »

Dub Rubb wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:53 pm
ManOnTime wrote:Thinking ahead a bit, but what bracelet goes best with these?
I believe that would be a topic strap[emoji6]. Truthfully, I don't know, but it seems like your choice of straight endlink bracelet would work.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
I like tropics. Gonna need a long/extra long one.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

ManOnTime wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:53 pm
ManOnTime wrote:Thinking ahead a bit, but what bracelet goes best with these?
I believe that would be a topic strap[emoji6]. Truthfully, I don't know, but it seems like your choice of straight endlink bracelet would work.

I like tropics. Gonna need a long/extra long one.
Uncle Seiko is your friend. Well, kind of a friend. He does charge for his friendship

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

So I think we have come to a consensus on "always MoT compliant". If anyone chimes in against it, we will have a poll. I'll give it a day or two, then we will talk colors. I think white is out, and now im torn between orange and red. I kinda want something in between. You know orangish reddish goodness. Clearly I know my pantones[emoji23]

Any help would be much appreciated @Sussa as you have become the lead designer of this project, and I speak for all of us when I say we appreciate you for it!

Also, I know nothing of computer language or design, but I think we will need vector(?) Files of the font and design. Does that make sense?

Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

I'll play around with some colors today and switch the text to "always MoT compliant." If anyone wants to join in the color-picking fun, you can use this site: https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel

Move the circles around on the color wheel and adjust the darkness at the bottom of the screen to change the color. Screenshot the color you like including all of the numbers underneath the swatch and I'll find the nearest Pantone.

Yep, vector files make sense and the logo is already built that way. I'll need to clean it up a bit to follow best practices, but not a big deal. If anyone is curious, vector just means it can be scaled to any size with no loss of quality. So if we ever want a LWDS banner or billboard, we're good to go.

More questions on file requirements:
- Do they want it already scaled to actual size, or do they determine the size based on imprint area? If the former, do you have those specs or do they have a template? I just want to make sure the scale and proportions are what we're expecting.
- Any guidance on minimum line weights or font sizes?
- Can the logo and the 6 o'clock text be separate files, or do they want it all together?
- Did they specify preferred file types? .ai and .eps would be the most common vector types.
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Sussa wrote:I'll play around with some colors today and switch the text to "always MoT compliant." If anyone wants to join in the color-picking fun, you can use this site: https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel

Move the circles around on the color wheel and adjust the darkness at the bottom of the screen to change the color. Screenshot the color you like including all of the numbers underneath the swatch and I'll find the nearest Pantone.

Yep, vector files make sense and the logo is already built that way. I'll need to clean it up a bit to follow best practices, but not a big deal. If anyone is curious, vector just means it can be scaled to any size with no loss of quality. So if we ever want a LWDS banner or billboard, we're good to go.

- Do they want it already scaled to actual size, or do they determine the size based on imprint area? If the former, do you have those specs or do they have a template? I just want to make sure the scale and proportions are what we're expecting.
- Can the logo and the 6 o'clock text be separate files, or do they want it all together?
- Did they specify preferred file types? .ai and .eps would be the most common vector types.
You had me at LWDS Billboard! Imagine, if you will, our logo vectorized and awesome on billboards all across the country. A beacon of hope during these dark times.

But seriously, thank you for explaining this process. I had no idea what that meant, so this has been extremely informative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Rabirnie wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:29 am
Sussa wrote:I'll play around with some colors today and switch the text to "always MoT compliant." If anyone wants to join in the color-picking fun, you can use this site: https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel

You had me at LWDS Billboard! Imagine, if you will, our logo vectorized and awesome on billboards all across the country. A beacon of hope during these dark times.

Well, I do have a Blip Billboards account I've never used...

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
sobwanhoser
MoT Member

Post by sobwanhoser »

Dub Rubb wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:05 pm
ManOnTime wrote:My preference would be to have some site color present, other than white of course.

As for the text, "Saturday" works just fine, by what about "Anytime MoT Compliant" or "Anyday MoT Compliant"?
Also throwing "forever MoT compliant" into the ring.

And "always MoT compliant"
Just saw this = awesome!
If you consider symmetry of the text = 9 characters on each side of MoT - perhaps "Eternally"?
We have to consider our OCD members :lol:
Plus, owning this watch you would be eternally compliant!
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

These colors looked more distinct from one another in Photoshop, but I'll share them all anyway. [mention]Dub Rubb[/mention], is this closer to the orangish reddish you're looking for?
62MAS-logo7-PMS1525.jpg
62MAS-logo7-PMS172.jpg
62MAS-logo7-PMS166.jpg
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sussa wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:20 pm These colors looked more distinct from one another in Photoshop, but I'll share them all anyway. @Dub Rubb, is this closer to the orangish reddish you're looking for?

62MAS-logo7-PMS1525.jpg
62MAS-logo7-PMS172.jpg
62MAS-logo7-PMS166.jpg
Top one would be my choice.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I am in talks with the guy behind quite a few of the BSH dial and SM runs to get some info since I have no idea WTF anything you said. I will have an idea of what's needed soon.

Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Dub Rubb wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:57 pm
I am in talks with the guy behind quite a few of the BSH dial and SM runs to get some info since I have no idea WTF anything you said. I will have an idea of what's needed soon.

I'm probably overthinking it, but I've spent way too much time fixing other people's sloppy design work and fielding their complaints when it didn't print like they expected.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sussa wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:57 pm

I'm probably overthinking it, but I've spent way too much time fixing other people's sloppy design work and fielding their complaints when it didn't print like they expected.
I hear you, but this guy has been the designer of dozens of dial runs. I am not handing it over to him by any means, just picking his brain on what we need to send to SM. This is still your design after all!

Hear is what I have heard so far as to your questions. I am also gonna PM you the exact type of vector we will need.

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Dub Rubb wrote:Okay, so I think the last detail is color choice of the MoT since I believe we decided on these text lines. I could also start a seperate thread focused solely on the watch.

If anyone has any preferences, please let them be known now.

My vote is #3, but I want to hear from the people.
ImageImageImage

3!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Starting to put this on a straight-on dial to get a better feel for size and alignment. I know there was consensus on "always MoT compliant," but does that change when you see that MoT is off center or is everyone still good?
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 5.13.12 PM.png