We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Pocket Watches.

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Pocket Watches.

Post by Stretch44 »

Anyone knowledgeable on pocket watches? I received some watches and pocket watches from my late grandfather a couple of months ago. I know nothing about pocket watches and would like to know a little more about these. I'll probably end up going to a pocket watch forum but thought I'd share here first.

Some of the watches were in paper bags with dates ranging from 1880 to 1920. Below are pics of a few, but there are more. Most seems to work well, but some definitely need a service.

Edit: The first watch is B.W Raymond Elgin. I searched the serial number and this is from 1890! Wild.

ImageImage
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Pocket Watches.

Post by watchpalooza »

Wow, those look to be in excellent shape for their age...looks like you dad took great care of them. I am not so knowledgeable about pocket watches, but here is a little information: The second one has a gold-filled case manufactured by the Crescent Watch Company, likely around 1904. You can find more information here. M.s. Neiman appears to have been founded in 1925, which would suggest this watch to be newer than the first.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
k.crabbe
MoT Member

Post by k.crabbe »

I don't know anything either, but Mckeesport PA is about 1/2 hour from me. Small world. Beautiful pieces.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

I know these are very special to you. They are beautiful!
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

k.crabbe wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:57 am I don't know anything either, but Mckeesport PA is about 1/2 hour from me. Small world. Beautiful pieces.
McKeesport is where my great grandparents settled after immigrating from England. My grandfather and grandmother grew up there. My grandmother moved out to California during the war and stayed here when he got back.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

The Elgin is a very decent watch.

Benjamin Wright Raymond, 3rd and 6th Mayor of Chicago, was the first president and a primary investor and founder of National Watch Company of Chicago, which would later be renamed Elgin National Watch Company. He was president from National Watch's founding in 1864 until October 1867.

The first model the company made was B.W. Raymond and that name was used on high-end Elgin movements for about 100 years.

Your watch was made in 1890. It is lever set, 15 jewels, adjusted, and railroad grade. Pretty much top specs for the era. Railroad grade means it would have been accurate enough to be used by engineers, conductors, and other railroad personnel in official duties.

Retail value is roughly $300-$700. Case material generally makes the difference. Nickel cased watches are obviously worth less than gold case ones. Of course, the value of yours is immeasurable since it is an heirloom.

I don't know much about the gold-cased watch. I believe the movement was made by Rockford Watch Company (https://www.rockfordreminisce.com/rockf ... h-company/) in about 1903. 15 jewels, unadjusted and not railroad grade.

M.S. Neiman could have been a jeweler or watch and clock seller in McKeesport, PA. A lot of watch movement companies like Rockford made a lot of sales selling movements to private labels who put their own names and dials on them, very common and not a bad thing.

Nice watches!
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

ManOnTime wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:30 am The Elgin is a very decent watch.

Benjamin Wright Raymond, 3rd and 6th Mayor of Chicago, was the first president and a primary investor and founder of National Watch Company of Chicago, which would later be renamed Elgin National Watch Company. He was president from National Watch's founding in 1864 until October 1867.

The first model the company made was B.W. Raymond and that name was used on high-end Elgin movements for about 100 years.

Your watch was made in 1890. It is lever set, 15 jewels, adjusted, and railroad grade. Pretty much top specs for the era. Railroad grade means it would have been accurate enough to be used by engineers, conductors, and other railroad personnel in official duties.

Retail value is roughly $300-$700. Case material generally makes the difference. Nickel cased watches are obviously worth less than gold case ones. Of course, the value of yours is immeasurable since it is an heirloom.

I don't know much about the gold-cased watch. I believe the movement was made by Rockford Watch Company (https://www.rockfordreminisce.com/rockf ... h-company/) in about 1903. 15 jewels, unadjusted and not railroad grade.

M.S. Neiman could have been a jeweler or watch and clock seller in McKeesport, PA. A lot of watch movement companies like Rockford made a lot of sales selling movements to private labels who put their own names and dials on them, very common and not a bad thing.

Nice watches!
Thanks! Since I don't really use pocket watches I'm thinking if making some sort of display for them. I have several others and will post more pics. I couldn't care less about the value of them as they're never going anywhere, but it is nice to know.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Nice looking watches you have there.

There are six or seven in my collection, most of which don't wind as near as I can tell.

I am tempted to have this one, with its 27mm enamel dial and functioning movement, converted into a dress watch.

Just my $0.02 USD as always.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Man, that's a beaut!
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Here's a few more...

The first is an Elgin Model 3 Grade 324 estimated production year of 1912. Looking at the pics it appears the case is 14k gold. The etchings on the movement are beautiful. I really like this one and think the movement is beautiful. Can't believe that it's over a hundred years old. I kinda want to use it for a day...

This one requires a key to wind and another to set the time. It cranks well and has a good feel. It's been fun winding it up and listening to the loud tick. There is an inscription that says "Cylindre Huit Rubis" which translates to "Cylinder Eight Jewels." Haven't been able to find too much information on this one, but it may be a Stauffer Sons & Co. Dates to late 1800s or early 1900s... I think.

ImageImage

Last one is a Waltham Premier Model L-6.75 Grade No. 685 from about 1940. I really dig the art deco feel of this one and actually wish it were a wrist watch! It needs a service and isn't running, but I'm sure my jeweler can get it going again.

ImageImage

I still can't believe that my grandfather had this collection of pocket and wrist watches. I knew he collected grandfather, wall, and cuckoo clocks. I really wish that I would've known while he was around. I think he'll be happy to know that his collection got a good home.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Stretch44 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:04 am
ManOnTime wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:30 am The Elgin is a very decent watch.

Nice watches!
Thanks! Since I don't really use pocket watches I'm thinking if making some sort of display for them. I have several others and will post more pics. I couldn't care less about the value of them as they're never going anywhere, but it is nice to know.
I have long wanted to buy a good looking old pocket watch, and build a wood desk holder for it to make into a desk clock. Those old movements are fairly simple and are capable of truly amazing accuracy, and I think it'd look great set into a block of walnut or cherry.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Great collection [mention]Stretch44[/mention]. My dad has a Hamilton pocket watch that belonged to my grandfather and that I'd love to own one day. I hope you can find out more about these. But even if you don't, they are great keepsakes to have. Also really cool to hear your family connection to McKeesport. It has seen better days and I'm sure is a very different place now compared to when your grandfather would have lived there. It would be interesting to hear how he remembered it.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

My grandfather had a couple and now my dad has them. They definitely need a service because they have been in a display for who knows how many decades. One of them looks like it was someone's everyday carry.

I wish that watch were 38mm?