The SARB033; why can’t I find it’s swiss counterpart?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Rixsler86
MoT Member

The SARB033; why can’t I find it’s swiss counterpart?

Post by Rixsler86 »

I’ve searched high. I’ve searched low.
Why is it I can’t seem to find a Swiss counterpart for this watch?
Between the size, water resistance and the sporty/ dressy vibe, it seems the Swiss don’t make something like this under $1500.
What gives?
Am I missing something?
Was there a secret meeting where they decided to never give us a watch like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nikon Z6

Tudor Black Bay Steel
Longines Hydroconquest GMT
Breitling Chronomat
Alpina Alpiner Extreme
Bulova x Complecto Jet Star
Brew Retromatic Copper
Fossil Mickey Mouse
Ernest Borel Athletic
Casio GWB5600AR-1
G-Shock DW5040PG
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: The SARB033; why can’t I find it’s swiss counterpart?

Post by TheJohnP »

Rixsler86 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:02 pm I’ve searched high. I’ve searched low.
Between the size, water resistance and the sporty/ dressy vibe, it seems the Swiss don’t make something like this under $1500.
What gives?
Am I missing something?
Was there a secret meeting where they decided to never give us a watch like this?

Then they convinced Seiko to stop making it?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Rixsler86
MoT Member

Post by Rixsler86 »

TheJohnP wrote:
Rixsler86 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:02 pm I’ve searched high. I’ve searched low.
What gives?
Am I missing something?

Then they convinced Seiko to stop making it?
Lmao. That’s what it feels like.
Either the size is too big.
WR only 50 or 30m
Smh

Nikon Z6

Tudor Black Bay Steel
Breitling Chronomat
Alpina Alpiner Extreme
Brew Retromatic Copper
Fossil Mickey Mouse
Ernest Borel Athletic
Casio GWB5600AR-1
G-Shock DW5040PG
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

Closest is probably Glycine Combat 6 Classic or Combat Classic Vintage
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Seems that a smart microbrand owner could look to replicate/homage if they can keep the pricing down.
With a hole for that kind of watch in the marketplace, one would expect that it could do well.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Wearing my sarb033 alternative today, the 39mm Oris Artix
20200714_142406.jpg
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Rixsler86
MoT Member

Post by Rixsler86 »

mplsabdullah wrote:Wearing my sarb033 alternative today, the 39mm Oris Artix
20200714_142406.jpg
Having once owned the sarb033 I prefer the look, case shape and bracelet of the Oris. ,
Great option. Only thing holding me back is the numeral on the dial but still a great contender.

Nikon Z6

Tudor Black Bay Steel
Breitling Chronomat
Alpina Alpiner Extreme
Brew Retromatic Copper
Fossil Mickey Mouse
Ernest Borel Athletic
Casio GWB5600AR-1
G-Shock DW5040PG
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Epos makes the 3411 models (I've got the sports version on the way). They're 39mm but only 50m water resistant.

There's also the Hamilton jazzmasters and probably a model from Mido that may be similar.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:01 pm Seems that a smart microbrand owner could look to replicate/homage if they can keep the pricing down.
With a hole for that kind of watch in the marketplace, one would expect that it could do well.
Yes, I agree.

The closest I can think of, in terms of looks, ATM, and "GADA-ness," is the Omega AT 2500 and first and second gen 8500. They are much more expensive than SARB033. :(
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Post by Perdendosi »

mplsabdullah wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:46 pm Wearing my sarb033 alternative today, the 39mm Oris Artix
20200714_142406.jpg
I, too, own the Artix in 39mm in blue. I don't think it's a great SARB replacement, mostly because it's double-ish the price. But it's a great watch. The case is more interesting than the SARB, with its inset bezel. The bracelet is super comfy and a little fancier with its 7-link style, and the textured dial and the numerals on the rehaut provide more visual interest.
([mention]Rixsler86[/mention] , don't worry about the numerals... the way they're seated they only catch the light at certain angles... sometimes they almost disappear entirely, but they're there when you're looking for them.)
I always felt like the SARB's face was quite compared to the rest of the package, and the Oris feels one step less formal (which I like). Of course, I've regularly worn the watch with a suit, and it never felt out of place.
(sorry for the gunk on the endlink, but the macro shot is important to show the dial details, I think.)
P1100947.JPG
P1100948.JPG
P1100955.JPG
- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I think I'm basically in agreement that there is no such watch, especially for the same price. Some of that is based on objective things like the size and water resistance but there is also plenty of more subjective factors. Probably the most important is the "sporty/dressy vibe" that you mentioned. Just to bring up a few contenders:

This Certina DS Podium C001.407.11.057.00 has the same size and WR at 38mm and 100 meters. Obviously it isn't a perfect candidate as it has numerals on the dial. But even if you fixed that detail, the case isn't quite as striking, remarkable, or interesting as the SARB033 in my opinion (subjective).

Lately people have been mentioning the newish Tissot Gentleman as a good substitute. Below is reference T127.407.11.051.00. It's slightly too big (to be a replacement) at 40mm. But even if you shrunk it by 2mm, it still has the same problem. The case is certainly handsome but it's a bit more boring. This is maybe more of a poor man's Rolex OP than a SARB replacement.

The Tissot Heritage Visodate T019.430.16.051.01 isn't a perfect replacement either. No bracelet, day complication, more dressy than sporty, WR not up to snuff, too large. Although it wears a bit smaller than it's 40mm due to the slope of the case. I only mention this watch because I think it has some of the "je ne sais quoi" thay the others are lacking.

A case could be made for the Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic H32665131 but once again, wrong size at 40mm, wrong WR at 50m. As far as I know, they never made the 37mm version with a black dial and bracelet.

There are other candidates from Ball, Mido, Certina, Rado, and other brands that come relatively close but none that really fit the bill exactly in my opinion. I think the Oris Artix above isn't too far off. I think the one that comes the closest for me is the 39mm TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 5 WAR211A.BA0782. All of the objective and subjective factors are there and I think it strikes that same "dressy / sporty vibe" but does it with more polish (literal and figurative). Unfortunately that means a price of $1500 or more. However on the plus side, you're getting a way better bracelet and clasp and a more reliable movement.

May I ask, is the movement the reason you are not considering just buying the Seiko?
Rixsler86
MoT Member

Post by Rixsler86 »

Not the movement. I just wanted more options. Right now I’m looking at Certina’s urban line. I’m liking what I see and the 80 hr power reserve sounds great.

Nikon Z6

Tudor Black Bay Steel
Breitling Chronomat
Alpina Alpiner Extreme
Brew Retromatic Copper
Fossil Mickey Mouse
Ernest Borel Athletic
Casio GWB5600AR-1
G-Shock DW5040PG
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Rixsler86 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:17 pm Not the movement. I just wanted more options. Right now I’m looking at Certina’s urban line. I’m liking what I see and the 80 hr power reserve sounds great.

Cool. In particular the DS-1 C029.807.11.051.00 looks like a decent option for a Swiss SARB counterpart.

And if you're looking for a decent deal on something with the 80 hour Swatch Group movement right now, there is a Hamilton Valiant H39515134 at Macy's HERE for only $347.50 and you get $35 back from Rakuten. 40mm and 50 meters because it's basically that same Jazzmaster case. You could get most of your money back on that one if it's not a keeper.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:02 pm And if you're looking for a decent deal on something with the 80 hour Swatch Group movement right now, there is a Hamilton Valiant H39515134 at Macy's HERE for only $347.50 and you get $35 back from Rakuten. 40mm and 50 meters because it's basically that same Jazzmaster case. You could get most of your money back on that one if it's not a keeper.

This Valiant is now down to just $260.63 with code VIP at Macy's for anyone interested. I'd be buying if I didn't already have a 40mm black dial watch with romans. And 6% from Rakuten sweetens the deal a bit. ⬇️⬇️⬇️