As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Let’s see your SOTC and tell me where you are headed from here!

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

I’ve been contemplating my collection lately because I think things are slowing down for me. Part of that is that I really like what I have for the moment and part is just life putting different priorities in my way.

I can see myself reducing this collection further though I’m not sure if that is consolidation and upgrade or just sell outright. Certainly a few random pieces may come and go from time to time but these are what I consider my core. I actually only have a GShock other than these 5.

So where are you at with your collection and what are your thoughts for the future direction for yourself?

........I sure would like a blue dial 🤔
-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
cortman
MoT Member

Re: Let’s see your SOTC and tell me where you are headed from here!

Post by cortman »

Great thread. When I'm off of work and have some contemplation time I'll post mine. Been thinking a little bit about setting some definite collecting goals; so far my collecting has been very much ad-hoc and whatever happens to be cheap and look good :).
You have quite a stable of thoroughbreds there. I don't know what I'd trim off of that because it's a great collection. What are your interests outside of watches? That may open up a new avenue of watch enthusiasm for you.
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

cortman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:28 pm Great thread. When I'm off of work and have some contemplation time I'll post mine. Been thinking a little bit about setting some definite collecting goals; so far my collecting has been very much ad-hoc and whatever happens to be cheap and look good :).
You have quite a stable of thoroughbreds there. I don't know what I'd trim off of that because it's a great collection. What are your interests outside of watches? That may open up a new avenue of watch enthusiasm for you.
Outside of watches......I'm a professional Dad, very amateur mountain biker, and apprentice (With You Tube as my teacher) carpenter.
But my personal temperment for number of watches seems to be right at 5 or 6. I've played with the numbers over the years between 2 and 15 and almost without fail every time I get more than 6 watches I get anxious and need to sell something. Less than 3 or fewer and I get the itch to buy something.I view the Glycine and GShock as placeholders and neither will stay long term. They will get replaced with other affordables as interest waines for the Glycine and GShock.

I look forward to seeing your thoughts on your collection.
-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Here is the current state of my collection[emoji23]. We thought we were gonna have to evacuate from the fires, so all but the NTH, lunar pilot and a Komandirskie are packed up and ready to go. Wearing just one watch for about a week has me realizing that it's all I really need. . . but I still want all my others. I have about 5 I need to get around to selling. Could honestly unload about 25-30 and not miss them too much.

You've got me thinking though. Mostly the only watches I am thinking of buying are BSH mods, dial runs, or MoT dial/watch runs in the future. For one, I like having a project, and 2, they just mean more to me Personally.

Only grail I have left is the Rhodium OP39, or that new effing snoopy speedy.

I have found that I get equal if not more joy from my lesser expensive pieces than my grails.

I will dig through google photos to see if I have my last SOTC pic.

P.S. one of those bins has ALL my watches in it.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Not a great picture, but I wanted to get them all in one shot.
Collection.jpg
Where am I headed? Thinking about what I should sell, which involves removing the watches in question from the main collection and seeing if I miss them. So far this year I've sold one, trying to sell another, and a third is being considered. As for adding, there's a good chance I'll get a Visitor Duneshore Shallows when they're available in November. The only other thing on my radar is a Bulova Lunar Pilot, but I don't think my wrists can handle it. I'm running out of space, so I either need to buy less or sell more. Admittedly, I used retail therapy to cope with 2020. Hopefully next year is a little less pandemic-y.

I'm also kicking around the idea of getting a Nomos Metro or custom Ochs & Junior when I finish grad school in a couple years. It probably won't happen, because 1) that's a big leap from my current price range and 2) that's a lot of money to spend to get probably little wrist time. Only if I pare the collection down a lot more (down to less than 10) would it get more likely. And I don't see that happening.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Well as of April I had one watch, which I forgot to include in this pic: a casio databank. Since then I have been rebuilding somewhat haphazardly and ended up with this:

I know I need to get rid of at least one G-Shock, and I will keep both Chris Wards. After that... who knows.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Here’s a not-great pic of where my collection stands at the moment. I’ve sold more than I’ve acquired this year and it feels good. I’m getting more deliberate about my collection and more of these will likely be on the way out at some point.

As for what’s next, I have a Franken-Vostok inbound for a modding experiment that I’m hoping scratches my orange dial itch. Otherwise, the only purchase I have ‘planned’ is the GMT that Lorier is supposedly planning to release late this year. And despite my earlier comment about being deliberate, I’m far from immune to impulse buys when something really catches my eye.

But I feel like I’m more in touch with what I like and what I don’t these days, which helps me minimize ‘bad’ purchases. It’s the wisdom one can only obtain by going through the various phases of this hobby.

And yes, I keep my watches ON TOP of my watch box as opposed to inside of it. It’s just too much hassle to use the drawers and pillows.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

recapt wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:08 pm Image

Here’s a not-great pic of where my collection stands at the moment. I’ve sold more than I’ve acquired this year and it feels good. I’m getting more deliberate about my collection and more of these will likely be on the way out at some point.

As for what’s next, I have a Franken-Vostok inbound for a modding experiment that I’m hoping scratches my orange dial itch. Otherwise, the only purchase I have ‘planned’ is the GMT that Lorier is supposedly planning to release late this year. And despite my earlier comment about being deliberate, I’m far from immune to impulse buys when something really catches my eye.

But I feel like I’m more in touch with what I like and what I don’t these days, which helps me minimize ‘bad’ purchases. It’s the wisdom one can only obtain by going through the various phases of this hobby.

And yes, I keep my watches ON TOP of my watch box as opposed to inside of it. It’s just too much hassle to use the drawers and pillows.
If that Oris gets on the chopping block let me know... I have few watches getting serviced and am waiting on one. Once those come in I'll do a SOTC as well.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Nothing crazy here.

Most of the watches on the left (brown watch box) are beaters, junk, old, busted, memories, or fodder canon. Hardly see any wrist time.

My primary 8 slot black case is where I'd like to tidy down and move things around. I tend to impulse buy a deal or run after a good chase and I'm ok with that. It gives me real time experience and worst case, I take a lost which I justify it as a cost of ownership.

I've been debating about moving my Sinn 104 because it's literally my only watch I baby which turns into little wrist time.

My marinemaster has taken all the abuse my job could throw at it and it's still awesome. A bit tall and chunky but it's been great on the MN strap.

My GS is a keeper. I love everything about it.

Everything else in there is meh.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But worth keeping until the next piece to replace them comes along.
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Stretch44 wrote:If that Oris gets on the chopping block let me know... I have few watches getting serviced and am waiting on one. Once those come in I'll do a SOTC as well.
Noted, but that one’s definitely sticking around for the foreseeable future.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Here's my ever expanding collection. This year has had quite a few additions thanks to my parents gifting me my late grandfather's watches and pocket watches. My collection has never been this big and I'm getting the urge to pare down a bit as I find myself wearing only a select few. My problem is that I love buying new watches and getting them in the mail. Since we're getting to the end of the year I think I will try to be more selective in 2021.
Maybe I'll take a cue from [mention]cortman[/mention] in selecting my next purchases.

I do have several watches on my radar. I'd really like to pick up the Bulova Lunar Pilot with polished case. The one I have on loan from [mention]ManOnTime[/mention] is awesome. I almost don't want to send it back. 😜 I'd like to pick up a Vostok Scuba Dude and do some modding. I'd also like to pick up a JLC Reverso. Ideally the night and day. Not sure if I'll be able to pull that off. Will have to find an amazing deal or second hand. That's pretty much where I want to go, but that'll change. Not sure what I want to sell, but definitely keeping my grandpa's watches.

Top row from left to right:. Purple vintage Vostok (eBay impulse), Poljit Field watch for the field watch challenge (not working), homemade Pilot watch, Pocket Watch from Mckeesport watchmaker (Grandpa's), Pocket Watch unknown maker (cool because it winds with a key; Grandpa's), 70s Timex (Grandpa watch and needs a new crown), Elgin gold pocket watch (Grandpa's), Casio W-26 (Grandpa watch), Vintage Vostok.

Second to top row left to right:. ESQ quartz chrono (college watch from 2005), Waltham Premier (Grandpa watch), Lord Elgin (Grandpa watch), [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] MoT dial, my son's Mickey, [mention]ManOnTime[/mention]'s Lunar Pilot, Henri Sandoz, Timex Expedition ($3!).

Middle row left to right: February watch challenge watch, G-Shock, Spinnaker Bradner, EMG Horizon, EMG DL63, CW Bronze Trident, Zeppelin Flatline, Junghans Maxbill.

Second row from bottom left to right: 70s Timex, Zeppelin Hindenburg Moonphase, Leonidas German WWII Field Watch (Grandpa's), Longines Legend Diver, Hamilton Intra Matic Chrono, Omega Seamaster Trilogy, Omega Railmaster, Omega Speedmaster, Omega Geneve 1960 (Grandpa's), Junghans Meister Driver.

Bottom Row left to right:. Fossil Forester (HUISABH impulse buy), Swiss Army Chronograph (College graduation gift), Seiko Alpinist, Vostok Komandirske, Vintage Hamilton (Grandpa's), Timex MK1, Vintage Timex, Vintage Timex Marlin (Grandpa's).

Thanks for letting me share. It was nice to go through each watch and recall why and how I got it. I didn't think I'd do such a long post but it ended up that way.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Stretch44 wrote:Here's my ever expanding collection. This year has had quite a few additions thanks to my parents gifting me my late grandfather's watches and pocket watches. My collection has never been this big and I'm getting the urge to pare down a bit as I find myself wearing only a select few. My problem is that I love buying new watches and getting them in the mail. Since we're getting to the end of the year I think I will try to be more selective in 2021.
Maybe I'll take a cue from [mention]cortman[/mention] in selecting my next purchases.

I do have several watches on my radar. I'd really like to pick up the Bulova Lunar Pilot with polished case. The one I have on loan from [mention]ManOnTime[/mention] is awesome. I almost don't want to send it back. [emoji12] I'd like to pick up a Vostok Scuba Dude and do some modding. I'd also like to pick up a JLC Reverso. Ideally the night and day. Not sure if I'll be able to pull that off. Will have to find an amazing deal or second hand. That's pretty much where I want to go, but that'll change. Not sure what I want to sell, but definitely keeping my grandpa's watches.

Top row from left to right:. Purple vintage Vostok (eBay impulse), Poljit Field watch for the field watch challenge (not working), homemade Pilot watch, Pocket Watch from Mckeesport watchmaker (Grandpa's), Pocket Watch unknown maker (cool because it winds with a key; Grandpa's), 70s Timex (Grandpa watch and needs a new crown), Elgin gold pocket watch (Grandpa's), Casio W-26 (Grandpa watch), Vintage Vostok.

Second to top row left to right:. ESQ quartz chrono (college watch from 2005), Waltham Premier (Grandpa watch), Lord Elgin (Grandpa watch), [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] MoT dial, my son's Mickey, [mention]ManOnTime[/mention]'s Lunar Pilot, Henri Sandoz, Timex Expedition ($3!).

Middle row left to right: February watch challenge watch, G-Shock, Spinnaker Bradner, EMG Horizon, EMG DL63, CW Bronze Trident, Zeppelin Flatline, Junghans Maxbill.

Second row from bottom left to right: 70s Timex, Zeppelin Hindenburg Moonphase, Leonidas German WWII Field Watch (Grandpa's), Longines Legend Diver, Hamilton Intra Matic Chrono, Omega Seamaster Trilogy, Omega Railmaster, Omega Speedmaster, Omega Geneve 1960 (Grandpa's), Junghans Meister Driver.

Bottom Row left to right:. Fossil Forester (HUISABH impulse buy), Swiss Army Chronograph (College graduation gift), Seiko Alpinist, Vostok Komandirske, Vintage Hamilton (Grandpa's), Timex MK1, Vintage Timex, Vintage Timex Marlin (Grandpa's).

Thanks for letting me share. It was nice to go through each watch and recall why and how I got it. I didn't think I'd do such a long post but it ended up that way.

I love a post like this. Not only is it an amazingly versatile collection, it also makes me feel less weird about having so many watches[emoji23]. Although I may still have more, your collection is much more diverse and well rounded.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Stretch44 wrote:Here's my ever expanding collection. This year has had quite a few additions thanks to my parents gifting me my late grandfather's watches and pocket watches. My collection has never been this big and I'm getting the urge to pare down a bit as I find myself wearing only a select few. My problem is that I love buying new watches and getting them in the mail. Since we're getting to the end of the year I think I will try to be more selective in 2021.

I do have several watches on my radar. I'd really like to pick up the Bulova Lunar Pilot with polished case. The one I have on loan from [mention]ManOnTime[/mention] is awesome. I almost don't want to send it back. [emoji12] I'd like to pick up a Vostok Scuba Dude and do some modding. I'd also like to pick up a JLC Reverso. Ideally the night and day. Not sure if I'll be able to pull that off. Will have to find an amazing deal or second hand. That's pretty much where I want to go, but that'll change. Not sure what I want to sell, but definitely keeping my grandpa's watches.

As [mention]Dub Rubb[/mention] mentioned, you have such a well rounded and diverse collection! I’m really drawn to some of the vintage pieces, including the Sandoz, but then you also have some modern marvels. Being able to add your grandfather’s watches to the mix is a huge value add for classic designs, nostalgia, and keeping those memories of him alive.

It’s been fun watching you go through the buying process of some heavy hitters too. I know the SM Trilogy took an eternity, but man it was cool to get a glimpse into that chase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

Here's mine in its new home.

On the top there, Eterna Kontiki Diver Black and an Eterna Kontiki Diver Bronze (second run LE).

L-R and T-B:

Visitor Dunsehore Forest Green; Christopher Ward Trident Chrono Pro (2nd gen logo); Steinhart Nav B Kiga Bronze LE; Steinhart Nav B Titanium 10th Anniversary LE; JeanRichard AquaScope Hokusai (blue); Steinhart Nav B DLC LE; Borealis Navale Bronze (blue dial)

Frederique Constant Slimline Moonphase; Kingsbury Dark Water; Christopher Ward C60 Trident (2nd gen logo); Mido Ocean Star GMT; Rolex ND Submariner; Seiko Presage **** Time Fuyugeshiki; Seiko Samurai Pepsi.

Seiko Presage **** Time Starlight; Omega Speedmaster Moonphase Chrono; Eterna Kontiki Diver (Blue); Magrette Moana Pacific Pro Kara; Omega Planet Ocean Chrono; Omega Aqua Terra GMT.

Magrette Moana Pacific Pro Black; Baume & Mercier Capeland Flyback Chrono; JeanRichard AquaScope (white/blue); Longines Heritage 1973 Chrono; Casio MDV106; Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage; Seiko Diver (incidentally my first ever mechanical from my childhood); Christopher Ward Trident C60 Vintage; Suunto D4; Casio Dive Log (I forget the model); Scurfa Diver 1; BONUS: Rotary skeleton pocket watch.

Oh, and there's a Spinnaker Bradner kicking around somewhere, but it's knackered.

Where to go from here? Well, I'd like to pare these down a bit, but, as I've stated elsewhere, there's not a great second-hand market where I am.

If I could, I'd probably let the Steinharts go, but I'm making an effort to wear each of my watches more.

I feel I have most bases covered, though there are a few brands missing.

As for the next purchase, I happened to stop by a JLC boutique the other day and saw the Polaris Mariner. Ooooooh boy.

I also have an eye out for a Bucherer ScubaTec and am quite keen to try out a Sinn given how much everyone raves about them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ivo p
MoT Member

Post by ivo p »

baldrick wrote:Here's mine in its new home.

On the top there, Eterna Kontiki Diver Black and an Eterna Kontiki Diver Bronze (second run LE).

L-R and T-B:

Visitor Dunsehore Forest Green; Christopher Ward Trident Chrono Pro (2nd gen logo); Steinhart Nav B Kiga Bronze LE; Steinhart Nav B Titanium 10th Anniversary LE; JeanRichard AquaScope Hokusai (blue); Steinhart Nav B DLC LE; Borealis Navale Bronze (blue dial)

Frederique Constant Slimline Moonphase; Kingsbury Dark Water; Christopher Ward C60 Trident (2nd gen logo); Mido Ocean Star GMT; Rolex ND Submariner; Seiko Presage **** Time Fuyugeshiki; Seiko Samurai Pepsi.

Seiko Presage **** Time Starlight; Omega Speedmaster Moonphase Chrono; Eterna Kontiki Diver (Blue); Magrette Moana Pacific Pro Kara; Omega Planet Ocean Chrono; Omega Aqua Terra GMT.

Magrette Moana Pacific Pro Black; Baume & Mercier Capeland Flyback Chrono; JeanRichard AquaScope (white/blue); Longines Heritage 1973 Chrono; Casio MDV106; Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage; Seiko Diver (incidentally my first ever mechanical from my childhood); Christopher Ward Trident C60 Vintage; Suunto D4; Casio Dive Log (I forget the model); Scurfa Diver 1; BONUS: Rotary skeleton pocket watch.

Oh, and there's a Spinnaker Bradner kicking around somewhere, but it's knackered.

Where to go from here? Well, I'd like to pare these down a bit, but, as I've stated elsewhere, there's not a great second-hand market where I am.

If I could, I'd probably let the Steinharts go, but I'm making an effort to wear each of my watches more.

I feel I have most bases covered, though there are a few brands missing.

As for the next purchase, I happened to stop by a JLC boutique the other day and saw the Polaris Mariner. Ooooooh boy.

I also have an eye out for a Bucherer ScubaTec and am quite keen to try out a Sinn given how much everyone raves about them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thank you for presenting.

You have quite few that I possess or admire and are in my potential list.

So would suggest, based on my taste.

The JLC is definitely great, though would prefer the clean blue version.

Otherwise, you can consider the following from the mid- high end:

IWC, a lot of models, this is one of my favourites but in my short list is also an Ingenieur

Ulysse Nardin,

Breitling, Aerospace- one of the most comfortable watches I have.

My latest addition- really all rounder, my current most favourite one. Pure simplicity

If you prefer to expand in the more affordable part- do not see any Russian watches. They are fun.

Lastly-a not very well known ZRC but the bracelet is probably the best I have with the spring parts.