Gettin' high on your own supply

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Gettin' high on your own supply

Post by peskydonut »

What watches were you planning on flipping, but fell in love and ended up keeping?

One of mine was the Lunar Pilot. It sat in a box calling out to me for over 3 months, until I caved and eventually started wearing it.

Living a comeback montage.
BATMAN
MoT Member

Re: Gettin' high on your own supply

Post by BATMAN »

peskydonut wrote:What watches were you planning on flipping, but fell in love and ended up keeping?

One of mine was the Lunar Pilot. It sat in a box calling out to me for over 3 months, until I caved and eventually started wearing it.

SARB033. No chance I was letting it go once I got it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

peskydonut wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:57 pm What watches were you planning on flipping, but fell in love and ended up keeping?

If you ever want to part with the mission strap....
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:10 pm
peskydonut wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:57 pm What watches were you planning on flipping, but fell in love and ended up keeping?

Living a comeback montage.
Potato_With_Arms
MoT Member

Post by Potato_With_Arms »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:10 pm

There is also a period and material accurate replica used on Apollo 13 thru Columbia missions for sale in the HUISABH Bazaar ;)

Velcro 'NASA' strap SEB12100030

I would be happy to give a MoT discount
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Easy answer: TJ Maxx Victorinox chronograph. I was 100% sure I'd pass this along to a member or flip it. But I kinda love it.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I didn't think I had anything to contribute here but something I posted in another thread made me remember otherwise. At one point these Casio G-Shock full metal square GMW-B5000 models were selling for well over $400 on ebay and I was able to get them for well under $300. So I bought a bunch of them to flip. I initially purchased these for the sole purpose of selling them for a profit and I never intended to keep one for myself......but apparently I'm weak. :roll: The rest of my thoughts about it are basically contained in the post below.

What has been a far more common scenario for me is that I've bought watches but have been unsure of whether they would be keepers or even whether or not I would really like them at all. But I've been able to purchase them at prices that would allow me to get my money back (or possibly more) on a flip so I thought they were worth a try. Then I ended up liking them enough that they still haven't left my collection. My Citizen Grand Touring, orange Seiko Samurai, Oris Divers 65, and Bulova Accu-Swiss Murren just to name a few.
Dius
MoT Member

Post by Dius »

Not really a flipper but three watches I thought were over hyped and I would never like were sarb033, skx, and the citizen promaster
Last edited by Dius on Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

peskydonut wrote:What watches were you planning on flipping, but fell in love and ended up keeping?

All of them[emoji28]

That's only mostly true. I have a mechanism inside me that says "just buy it, if you want to sell it later, You will at least get your money back, or maybe turn a profit". Somehow this mindset justifies my purchases, yet I am more likely to give away a watch than sell one.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Rainshadow
MoT Member

Post by Rainshadow »

The Dreyfuss & Co pilot. 45mm is just huge, 38 or 39mm is my preferred size. But then, the art deco font, the enamel, the lume, the caliber on display are gorgeous.

“You may be ruled by dogma without realizing it. Do not let it confront the truth of your vision quest.”

- New-Age **** Generator