Timex MK1- 9bar Testing of 3bar Rated Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Timex MK1- 9bar Testing of 3bar Rated Watch

Post by Sporkboy »

Opening the watch revealed e-clips. The pusher washers were in good shape, but wrist crud had gotten into the spring area and I think that the pressure may have pushed a little crud onto the washer and wedged between it and the pusher stem which caused the leak. Everything is cleaned and re-lunricated. Will test this out soon.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

Maybe this is an interesting watch, and the comments might yield some insight into test procedure

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

That is definitely a more destructive way to do a pressure test. Definitely not the way to go if you want a chance to be able to fix a problem.

If the only way to discover a leak is to flood the watch then the test seems silly. At least by pressurizing the watch first, submerging and releasing the pressure you get to save the movement and see right where the problem is.

Edit: looks like Jody was doing it wrong.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/diywatch.c ... format=amp
Last edited by Sporkboy on Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:09 pm That is definitely a more destructive way to do a pressure test. Definitely not the way to go if you want a chance to be able to fix a problem.

If the only way to discover a leak is to flood the watch then the test seems silly. At least by pressurizing the watch first, submerging and releasing the pressure you get to save the movement and see right where the problem is.
I was under the impression the procedure he uses was essentially the procedure you used at the start of your testing. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Miggyd87 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:15 pm
Sporkboy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:09 pm That is definitely a more destructive way to do a pressure test. Definitely not the way to go if you want a chance to be able to fix a problem.

I was under the impression the procedure he uses was essentially the procedure you used at the start of your testing. Please correct me if I am wrong.
It is definitely wrong. Jody was missing the part where you pressurize out of the water first, then Submerge, then Release pressure. This allows for the bubbles to come out and be non-destructive.

Jody’s method makes for a more entertaining video though.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:20 pm
Miggyd87 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:15 pm

It is definitely wrong. Jody was missing the part where you pressurize out of the water first, then Submerge, then Release pressure. This allows for the bubbles to come out and be non-destructive.

Jody’s method makes for a more entertaining video though.
As I thought, thanks