Stupid questions

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Stupid questions

Post by peskydonut »

I'll start...

What exactly is a "flat wrist"? Is it another way of saying that you're lean and in shape or some sort of evolutionary golden ticket that allows you to wear larger watches than you would otherwise?
Living a comeback montage.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Stupid questions

Post by MoT »

peskydonut wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:10 am I'll start...

What exactly is a "flat wrist"? Is it another way of saying that you're lean and in shape or some sort of evolutionary golden ticket that allows you to wear larger watches than you would otherwise?
I don't understand that one either.

But what I do know is I lost over 100lbs once, and my wrist size didn't really change at all, so I don't think being overall body size has much to do with it.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

I think of myself as having a flat wrist. The circumference is 6.25" (158mm), width 52mm, height at the thickest part 38mm. I don't know how unusual those proportions are, or if we all have flat wrists and some of us are more tolerant to larger watches and use that as a justification. I've been roughly the same lean weight since I got into watches, so hard to say if that's related for me.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I am assuming they are referring to the fact their wrist is less bumpy, boney, or rounded on the top of the arm.

But then I'm the guy who refuses to measure my wrist size, because that's information I really don't care to know. So what do I know?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Zipties
MoT Member

Post by Zipties »

I assume it’s a width to height thing, yes, to indicate a capacity for a larger circumference than you might otherwise assume from a small circumference.

I have a largish & tall wrist, about 50mm high.
CDR_E
MoT Member

Post by CDR_E »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:18 am

But what I do know is I lost over 100lbs once, and my wrist size didn't really change at all, so I don't think being overall body size has much to do with it.
Wow, Matt, 100 lbs! Just out of curiosity, how were you able to lose so much and how long did it take you to do so?
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Look at it from the side. Then look at it from the top.
If it's considerably wider in the top view, you have a flat-ish wrist.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

CDR_E wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:59 am

Wow, Matt, 100 lbs! Just out of curiosity, how were you able to lose so much and how long did it take you to do so?

Well, it was closer to 195.

A combination of diet, lifestyle, and psychological/attitude/habit changes. Plus some medical intervention.

Unfortunately, a lot of it has come back so I need to relearn those lifestyle and attitude/habit changes.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:41 am
CDR_E wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:59 am

Well, it was closer to 195.

A combination of diet, lifestyle, and psychological/attitude/habit changes. Plus some medical intervention.

Unfortunately, a lot of it has come back so I need to relearn those lifestyle and attitude/habit changes.
Wow, that is a impressive!

I've always struggled with weight myself. It's an ongoing journey. I lost ~80lbs 11yrs ago. It slowly crept back up, but now I'm working on getting it down again. Lost 20lbs since beginning of the year.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Thanks everyone. Based on your answers, I'm pretty sure I do not have a flat wrist. Rough measurements...
c: 178mm h: 45mm w: 54mm
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

My wrist just grew about 1/4 inch since last measurement a few months ago. WTF

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

PetWatch wrote:My wrist just grew about 1/4 inch since last measurement a few months ago. WTF

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Your MoT muscle is growing.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

So here's a stupid question: When I set my automatic watch on the minute, without hacking the seconds hand (say, it's at 30 seconds), will the seconds hand get in synch with the minute hand at some point?

I have a flat wrist, BTW. ;)
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

tommy_boy wrote:So here's a stupid question: When I set my automatic watch on the minute, without hacking the seconds hand (say, it's at 30 seconds), will the seconds hand get in synch with the minute hand at some point?

I've wondered the same thing, but always just chickened out and waited another 30sec for the second hand to get to 12.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

tommy_boy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:57 pm So here's a stupid question: When I set my automatic watch on the minute, without hacking the seconds hand (say, it's at 30 seconds), will the seconds hand get in synch with the minute hand at some point?

Long answer:

Short answer:

No, the gear train doesn't operate like that.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT