As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Show your Black Cases, PVD, Composite...

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Re: Show your Black Cases, PVD, Composite...

Post by PetWatch »

tommy_boy wrote:I am down to two such automatics.

My one-off Glyvicta. Cerakote by MCWW. The quality of Jay's work has fallen off a cliff, sadly.

A Kickstarter special (their pic) that I rarely wear. Heavy, interesting case work, but I never bonded with it.

Not familiar with Cerakote, did you have this added to the Glycine? How does that hold up?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

PetWatch wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:30 pm
tommy_boy wrote:I am down to two such automatics.

My one-off Glyvicta. Cerakote by MCWW. The quality of Jay's work has fallen off a cliff, sadly.

Not familiar with Cerakote, did you have this added to the Glycine? How does that hold up?
This Incusore is supplied with a brushed stainless case. I sent it to MCWW.

Cerakote is "thin film ceramic coating" that is, I suppose, similar to PVD ("physical vapor deposition"). The coating's thickness presumably determines its durability. This watch's finish is not beaten up. I wear all my watches sparingly since I own so damn many of them.

Jay's Cerakote application process takes place in his garage: there is contamination under the case's coating :lol: . If a coat is applied in a clean room, you will get better cosmetic results for a much higher price, obviously.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

It came in! This is pretty cool.

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

ManOnTime wrote:It came in! This is pretty cool.

Looking good! Yeah, a black case offers a very cool and whole different look. The bracelet is icing on the cake.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Here's one of mine. The pastel blue dial is pretty popular among Halios Seaforth fans. The black DLC case, on the other hand, is not. But I've certainly enjoyed it....something a little different.

cheesetime
MoT Member

Post by cheesetime »

ManOnTime wrote:It came in! This is pretty cool.

Welcome to the Ray Raven club. I modded it a bit and haven't used the bracelet, but I love mine. I have found it to be pretty durable and have not had any of the coating scrape off despite being dinged a number of times. Image
Roc
MoT Member

Post by Roc »

Nice thread all, got me looking at black watches, and seems like DLC is the best coating, any standout DLC bargains/affordables you're aware of?
Zipties
MoT Member

Post by Zipties »

Roc wrote:Nice thread all, got me looking at black watches, and seems like DLC is the best coating, any standout DLC bargains/affordables you're aware of?
Hard to know what anyone considers affordable. The CB0177 I posted above is a fantastic JDM watch (rc world time solar 200m anti-shock etc) that usually runs about $750 in the US. I set an alert on buyee.jp and got mine for about $550 shipped to the US when someone had it on sale. Note there are a few different face-color permutations.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/citi ... y.5241558/
Zipties
MoT Member

Post by Zipties »

Here it is again today. CB0177 in DLC Duratect

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Roc wrote:Nice thread all, got me looking at black watches, and seems like DLC is the best coating, any standout DLC bargains/affordables you're aware of?
The Citizen Tough on the first post is very good if you get a deal. Ziptie's pick is Ti, I don't think he mentioned that. Many Citizens, Attesa to choose from. Some other brands may also have a good coating, hard to know though, so I would stay away from the bottom tier or two.

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Based on my limited experience and many comments I've read, a better coating will resist micro and many light scratches specially from glancing superficial impacts.

Interesting video comparing standard PVD to DLC.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... m7XsUP4nzS
ossamanity
MoT Member

Post by ossamanity »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ironman_KL
MoT Member

Post by Ironman_KL »

k.crabbe wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:30 am Black 36mm Filson on a cheap Amazon band.

I missed out on the bigger ones when they were clearing them out. Too slow. Wasn’t happy.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

PetWatch wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:45 pm Image
I really like the hands and hour markers on that.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody