MoT's Watch Deal Forum is the resource for watch and watch accessory deals sourced by enthusiasts like you. Click here to join today, and once logged in you'll be able to take part in great discussion and camaraderie about the hobby you love.

As a reminder, even though MoT's is a free site, we do rely on and accept donations to keep the lights on. These are completely voluntary and there is no obligation. Any donations go directly towards site operations and are greatly appreciated. Click here to donate today.

>>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
User avatar
Wolfsatz
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 am
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 70 times

>>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#1

Post by Wolfsatz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:19 pm

Timex is on a hot design run. They have recently released multiple gorgeous models that makes my wrist tingle with 'Me wants'!
Mk1 Steel, Marlin, Waterbury United, Navi Ocean, Allied, Easy Reader Pop and Signature, Expedition Solar Ranger, Waterbury Day Date, Todd Snyder Collabs along with the established Classics;

Expedition Scout Chrono, Weekender, Ironman Shock and Lap 50, Fairfield and others!

Come discuss your favorite Timex, ask questions, start your first mod or just chill with us TX lovers!

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7896/471 ... 3c9f_k.jpg[/img]Window asholping by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

:arrow:... What time is it? :D
yinzburgher
Posts: 1550
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA....mostly
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 220 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#2

Post by yinzburgher » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:11 pm

Timex just recently added some more variety to their line-up of Marlin automatics. There are now a total of 8 different variants of this watch at their online store.

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/03/01/timex ... ew-colors/

https://www.timex.com/browse/collection ... 3Tlih4D2tw


[img]https://cdn.gearpatrol.com/wp-content/u ... d-full.jpg[/img]
User avatar
Sporkboy
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:25 pm
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 235 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#3

Post by Sporkboy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:01 pm

Timex lover here checking in. The first watch I bought was an Ironman in ‘93 since lost to time. I recently purchased a slightly newer one (2001) on eBay and it is now a favorite for sentimental reasons and old school appeal.

There are a lot of these watches out there and I am wondering all the years that this model was produced in all variants including the rereleases. The Timex website is less than helpful in this front and I haven’t found a good fan page with the info. If anyone happens to know, I would be grateful.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 9fcc4f.jpg[/IMG]
User avatar
Wolfsatz
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 am
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 70 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#4

Post by Wolfsatz » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Exp Scout 43 on Red Wing Strap courtesy of Mr. Pancho!

Timex has given me great pleasure to be able to share with my youglings this hobby/passion. The young one really likes his Ironman, Easy Reader and his Smurf (Scout)

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7883/323 ... fbf7_k.jpg[/img]Scout 43 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7855/403 ... 3e8c_k.jpg[/img]Scout 43 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
:arrow:... What time is it? :D
User avatar
Sporkboy
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:25 pm
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 235 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#5

Post by Sporkboy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:00 pm

A favorite of mine even if I haven’t modded this one yet.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 522ccc.jpg[/IMG]
User avatar
Sporkboy
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:25 pm
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 235 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#6

Post by Sporkboy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:59 pm

Found this model recently that I hadn’t seen before. The B29 chronograph. Timex has made so many models that there is something for everyone.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 07aef7.jpg[/IMG]
User avatar
Wolfsatz
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 am
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 70 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#7

Post by Wolfsatz » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:38 pm

Hey Modders..
with this DST change and trying to hack/sync the majority of watches.. I think I finally got to the point that I need to consolidate and reduce the quartz foot print.

As far as the mods go, I have really been enjoying the 38mm EzR which I keep trying it on different straps currently on the James Bond Nato. With the discussion from the other thread..

Ideas.... Waterbury Date Less Dial into the 38mm EZ R case (or perhaps a SS case). I really like the 38mm all dial design, but with the Waterbury's dome crystal, it reduces the visibility and wears a lot smaller than a 38mm. So, this Waterbury is my least favorite of the W'buty collection, however, I do like the dateless and Fliegerish design of the dial.

Question: Would the movement of the Waterbury fit into the case of the EZ R?

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7836/464 ... 371b_b.jpg[/img]EZR JB by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
:arrow:... What time is it? :D
yinzburgher
Posts: 1550
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA....mostly
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 220 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#8

Post by yinzburgher » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Sporkboy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:01 pm
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 9fcc4f.jpg[/IMG]
I've been fairly obsessed with Timex digital watches lately. I've always liked Timex (I've had at least 2 Expeditions) and I've worn cheap digitals for work for a number of years (mostly Casio) but for some reason never looked into Timex Digitals until now. Someone posted a discount code for Todd Snyder in the deals thread, HODINKEE50. I decided I was going to use this to buy 2 (1 to rock and 1 to stock, as the kids say) of these Ironmans (Ironmen?) https://www.toddsnyder.com/collections/ ... -man-black for $68 but then backed off when I saw $7 shipping (I weird about this and had just assumed it was free and was focused on that 68 number). Now I've been looking around a bit more and have found a few other models that I've found interesting and a few that are a bit like the Ironman above. Gonna peruse some more but I've found at least 1 that I think I'll buy and alternate with my Casios for work.

The Todd Snyder Ironman
[img]https://www.hautelookcdn.com/resizer/43 ... 164583.jpg[/img]

A modern one with retro style that I found on ebay
[img]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/imQAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg[/img]

T5K195 - The one I'm leaning toward and will likely buy
[img]https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict ... -Alarm.jpg[/img]

Different colorway but similar to above
[img]https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/61f428 ... acd9b.jpeg[/img]

The beefy bad-ass model
[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg[/img]

I'm liking this T49900 for $25 on ebay but I'm sure it'll be huge
[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... UX342_.jpg[/img]

I know this one will be huge but it's apparently a collab with Red Bull and is great for cliff diving, so......
[img]https://www.timex.com/dw/image/v2/BBDM_ ... t&sfrm=png[/img]

Also considering this digital expedition
[img]https://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products ... 54_600.jpg[/img]

This one is called the transit. Considering one of these to see how I like the blacked-out display
[img]https://www.timex.com/dw/image/v2/BBDM_ ... t&sfrm=png[/img]
User avatar
Wolfsatz
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 am
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 70 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#9

Post by Wolfsatz » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 pm

If you have any questions...

I have the Shock, multiple versions of the Rugged 30, the Expedition Shock, and Classics Lap50 and Lap100.


[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 577ed9.jpg[/IMG]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:arrow:... What time is it? :D
yinzburgher
Posts: 1550
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA....mostly
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 220 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#10

Post by yinzburgher » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:59 am

Wolfsatz wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 pm
If you have any questions...

I have the Shock, multiple versions of the Rugged 30, the Expedition Shock, and Classics Lap50 and Lap100.


[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 577ed9.jpg[/IMG]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice collection. Do you find that the negative displays are significantly harder to read? I imagine they could be. I'm nearly certain the the one in the top row, second from right is the one I'm thinking about getting, the T5K195. I know the case is a bit thick (15 or 16mm IIRC) but are there any other downsides you've found of that watch? Any other thoughts about it? Thanks.
User avatar
Wolfsatz
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 am
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 70 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#11

Post by Wolfsatz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:04 pm

yinzburgher wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:59 am
Wolfsatz wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 pm
If you have any questions...

I have the Shock, multiple versions of the Rugged 30, the Expedition Shock, and Classics Lap50 and Lap100.


[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 577ed9.jpg[/IMG]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice collection. Do you find that the negative displays are significantly harder to read? I imagine they could be. I'm nearly certain the the one in the top row, second from right is the one I'm thinking about getting, the T5K195. I know the case is a bit thick (15 or 16mm IIRC) but are there any other downsides you've found of that watch? Any other thoughts about it? Thanks.
The Negative displays are really not hard to see; obviously there are certain lighting conditions that do make it impossible to read.. but then the Indiglo is actually better than normal Indiglo. But then again.. you don't get a negative display because it is convenient.. you get one because it just looks B@D @$$

The Endure Shock.. to me the only downsize is the smaller profile... smaller window and less functions compared to the Lap 50 and Rugged 30. But you really cannot destroy one. If the Rugged 30 is built like a Tank... the Endure Shock is built like a Tank on Hyper Drugs.

Not sure if you are on WUS too, but check out this thread

"https://forums.watchuseek.com/f220/time ... 66423.html"

this is from last week
[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7832/472 ... 2070_b.jpg[/img]Untitled by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Side to Side
[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7842/404 ... 7e35_b.jpg[/img]Neg Display by Wolfsatz, on Flickr


[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4877/466 ... 0f68_b.jpg[/img]Ironman Rugged 30 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Negative Display Indiglo
[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4858/473 ... ca96_b.jpg[/img]Neg Display Indiglo by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
Last edited by Wolfsatz on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow:... What time is it? :D
User avatar
BostonCharlie
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:26 pm
Location: Texas
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#12

Post by BostonCharlie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:28 pm

My Timex Ironman Triathalon has a couple features I wish all LCD watches had:

* Once you activate the lume, it remains lit as long as you continue operating the watch. Like duh, all LCD watches with lume should do this. But they don't (lookin' at you, G-Shock)!

* Each alarm has a different tune. This has two upsides: 1) you know which alarm is going off, if you care, 2) you can choose an alarm tune that's more pleasing/wakeful than the others.

Other things I like: large display, verbose set/adjust interface, ability to disable features (e.g. occasion, alarms), good readability, velcro strap allows me to attach it to something other than my wrist (e.g. fanny pack) w/o fear of its falling off.

Things that could be improved: remove the fake screw heads from the bezel, add pusher guards.

Even though I obsess over G-Shocks, I rely on my Timex LCD watches.
yinzburgher
Posts: 1550
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA....mostly
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 220 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#13

Post by yinzburgher » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 pm

Wolfsatz wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:04 pm
yinzburgher wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:59 am
Wolfsatz wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 pm
If you have any questions...

I have the Shock, multiple versions of the Rugged 30, the Expedition Shock, and Classics Lap50 and Lap100.


[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 577ed9.jpg[/IMG]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice collection. Do you find that the negative displays are significantly harder to read? I imagine they could be. I'm nearly certain the the one in the top row, second from right is the one I'm thinking about getting, the T5K195. I know the case is a bit thick (15 or 16mm IIRC) but are there any other downsides you've found of that watch? Any other thoughts about it? Thanks.
The Negative displays are really not hard to see; obviously there are certain lighting conditions that do make it impossible to read.. but then the Indiglo is actually better than normal Indiglo. But then again.. you don't get a negative display because it is convenient.. you get one because it just looks B@D @$$

The Endure Shock.. to me the only downsize is the smaller profile... smaller window and less functions compared to the Lap 50 and Rugged 30. But you really cannot destroy one. If the Rugged 30 is built like a Tank... the Endure Shock is built like a Tank on Hyper Drugs.

Not sure if you are on WUS too, but check out this thread

"https://forums.watchuseek.com/f220/time ... 66423.html"

this is from last week
[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7832/472 ... 2070_b.jpg[/img]Untitled by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Side to Side
[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7842/404 ... 7e35_b.jpg[/img]Neg Display by Wolfsatz, on Flickr


[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4877/466 ... 0f68_b.jpg[/img]Ironman Rugged 30 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
Thank you for this. The Rugged does look really cool, bad-ass, and well.....rugged but I think I'm sold on the Endure Shock. I'm think I'm OK with less functionality and the smaller profile. I'd probably prefer the larger display but what it boils down to is that I think I'm just really going to like looking down at and admiring the Endure Shock. It looks to me like the modern interpretation of the classic or prototypical Ironman. I won't really need the 200m WR but that doesn't hurt either. Glad to hear it feels solid. Hopefully comfortable too. And let's be honest. These things are so well priced I may end up with more than one. Gonna check around for other colors of the Shock Endure but I imagine I'll end up with the same model you have.
User avatar
Wolfsatz
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 am
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 70 times

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#14

Post by Wolfsatz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:15 pm

BostonCharlie wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:28 pm
My Timex Ironman Triathalon has a couple features I wish all LCD watches had:

* Once you activate the lume, it remains lit as long as you continue operating the watch. Like duh, all LCD watches with lume should do this. But they don't (lookin' at you, G-Shock)!

* Each alarm has a different tune. This has two upsides: 1) you know which alarm is going off, if you care, 2) you can choose an alarm tune that's more pleasing/wakeful than the others.

Other things I like: large display, verbose set/adjust interface, ability to disable features (e.g. occasion, alarms), good readability, velcro strap allows me to attach it to something other than my wrist (e.g. fanny pack) w/o fear of its falling off.

Things that could be improved: remove the fake screw heads from the bezel, add pusher guards.

Even though I obsess over G-Shocks, I rely on my Timex LCD watches.
My son has the Red Rescue one and I have the GA-100 ... what I truly dislike about G Shock is that they don't follow a standard, patter or same logic.
Seems that every watch is redone from scratch as far as the logic of menus and functions. That is one of the golden features that newer Timex digitals have, very easy and intuitive interface.

I also like the much bigger digits on most TX than even the biggest G shocks.
:arrow:... What time is it? :D
User avatar
ManOnTime
Site Admin
Posts: 1100
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:27 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 629 times
Contact:

Re: >>>< The Ultimate Timex Thread ><<<

#15

Post by ManOnTime » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Finally got one.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190315183037423_COVER.jpg
Click Icon To Contact Me:

'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
Post Reply